Vacuum cleaner for motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Soozywoozy, May 9, 2014.

1. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

Having now done several trips in motorhome I am surprised how many bits of dust, dirt, bread crumbs (especially french baguette) bits and bobs, broken glasses etc get everywhere so have decided to go for a cordless rechargeable vacuum. The Dyson appears fab, but boy what a cost, so can I get great performance without spending so much wonga of is it a case of just bite the bullet. Also have a very hairy black lab who so far has been excluded from motorhome but will be making his first journey soon with his long haired jack Russell partner in crime. Recommendations and disasters please.

2. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Splash the cash and get a Tyson but whatever you do do not buy any 12v as waste of time
    Can't remember model of our hand held Tyson but great even when we take daughters springer away in the My battery lasts for about 3 hours use and takes about 2 hrs to charge from flat

3. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

All my work power tools are Makita 18 volt LXT Li so the obvious solution was to buy the vac to go with it all. I carry a charger a drill a vac and two batteries at all times :thumb:

4. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

We still have an AEG old crappy thing, had it for years from our tenting days and it still works well although the battery doesn't last too long these days.

Personally I wouldn't spend too much on it unless you have other plans for it as well i.e. use at home or perhaps in the car. Ours stays permanently in the van for convenience hence I couldn't justify Dyson money for it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We've been looking at the Dyson.. But they're nearly £300... Have seen people speak highly of some called Gt or something similar

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Throw the carpets out and use a hand brush ..

why they fit them is beyond me.. :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tootles

Tootles Funster

And a very hairy JR, it seems...........

8. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

The Gtech Air Ram seems to get good reviews:thumb: At £200 on QVC, it's cheaper than the Dyson........John Lewis and Amazon have it, but they're dearer, but wouldn't pay that amount for the van. There's an Electrolux cordless in the Dakota wardrobe, it's not great at picking up fluff, so we usually wait till we got home and get the Miele out to it.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  9. big bertha

big bertha Funster

I have no carpets so just use dustpan and brush or a rechargable dustbuster. :Smile:u

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tootles

Tootles Funster

11. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Asda! Bissell bagless Hoover with attachments - £35!
    Got one last week - great value, small, and does the job:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. jaygee

jaygee Funster

13. scousebird

scousebird Funster

I've just ordered a GTech SW02 from Amazon :Smile:

14. Bellini

Bellini Funster

I've got a handheld Electrolux Stair and Car Vac bought from Amazon for under £40 delivered.

The reviews are good. It's not rechargeable as Udo has an inverter. So it sits neatly stowed in a cupboard.

And it's very good! I'm a pedant for keeping Udo clean and have a small Harris paintbrush for getting dust out of his nooks and crannies.

The Electrolux comes with a rotating head and a crevice tool on a decently lengthy hose. All tools stored onboard.

15. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

We bought this B&D from Amazon, less than £40, low voltage mains and bagless. Loads of tools with it and works off the inverter so ok for us with no hookup.

16. lunarman

lunarman Funster

• Like Like x 1
  17. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We thought about a Dyson, but they are stupidly expensive. We also have a yellow Lab and a Beagle, so bought one of THESE from Argos

Its cordless and charges through our inverter when travelling. It's coped with a few weeks away in France, hoovered all the breadcrumbs, sand, dog hairs and other muck up very well.
    I can recommend it

Allan

18. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

We've had a Dyson handheld for a few years now. It's great but its weakness was always the short battery charge.
    Eventually, the battery died and was replaced with a high capacity battery from Amazon (non original part).
    Now the little vac is amazing, better than new - I do wonder why Dyson never fitted these batteries in the first place....

If you're looking for a 240v vacuum, I would recommend a small Miele, the suction is incredible for all the little bits and dust that accumulate in the van. It keeps the dashboard and vents looking like new.
    http://www.johnlewis.com/miele-s2111-compact-cylinder-vacuum-cleaner-grey/p231121482

19. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Dyson battery with animal (powered brush) use it every day a real dogs b's piece of kit and though pricy worth the money:Smile:

20. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

I've been looking for a vacuum for the van for a little while now. We use a brush/broom but a vacuum would be very handy for corners and doing the dust which accumulates on the roof vents etc.

I'm not keen on a cordless device - after all, I have decent on board 12v supply and a few 12v sockets around the van and it's all kept topped up with the solar - the bother of having a cordless which then needs constant attention to make sure it's charged seems a backward step.

But it seems that the cordless vacuum has all but taken over from the old fashioned car vac that used to plug into the lighter socket. I know most of these were rubbish, but you think there would be one, just one, model which was still available and useful. The few remaining ones I've found have been very poor build quality so I've not even taken a chance.

Still looking...
    Will follow this thread with interest :Smile: