Uuni pizza oven for camping ? (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
80 or 90 seconds? I am sure if pizza restaurants could turn them out that quickly they would ...
We have an Ooni and temperatures get up to 600 degrees the first pizza once heated up takes about 90 seconds to cook and subsequent slightly more unless you add more fuel to them.

The difference between this and commercial ovens is the size the Uuni in tiny taking just one pizza at a time vs a commercial oven which is vast takings a lot of pizza at a tme.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
No I've not got one and we're living in the van and don't really want to lug it round at the moment.
They are only the size of a dinner plate. So hardly need 'lugging around'.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
You’re forgetting I’m at 4250kg, plenty of room and payload left?? it’s you my friend that would struggle, but if you get one, I’ll haul it for ya???

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
80 or 90 seconds? I am sure if pizza restaurants could turn them out that quickly they would ...

Not apples to apples i'm afraid. In a wood fuelled pizza oven you have enough space to cook 4 maybe 5 pizzas and so overall most of the oven is perhaps 350º, only the part directly in front of the fire will be +400º and there could be some flames there. As they tend to cook more than one pizza at a time, they rotate the location and the pizza itself. In a small pizza oven like an uuni/ooni you are only cooking one pizza at a time and that is cooked it that +400º area as it's the only part of the oven you have to work with due to it's small size. Any decent pizza resto using a wood fuelled oven will anyway be cooking pizza in around 3mins, 4 mins max but they potentially have +4 pizza on the go in the same oven, in a race they'd churn out more pizzas as they have capacity.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
View attachment 386432View attachment 386433
I'd love one of those ooni's but just can't justify it at the moment so I've been perfecting my technique on the gas webber over the last month or so. Mini pizza seems the best bet to make life easy getting a very thin pizza onto the grill, minimal non wet toppings very important so meat and cheese really plus a bit of chilli or rosemary, grill on lowest setting and a few chunks of applewood around the edge and a roasting tray placed over the pizza to help reflect heat back to the top of the pizza. This is the best pizza I've managed to make and used to do them on a cast iron griddle at home at 300 degrees but they would not bubble up and crisp up as well as these. 4 of these is enough for 2 people.

One tip i've learnt with large amounts of meat (prosciutto for example) is to simply add it AFTER the cooking process, helps the pizza to cook better and also doesn't change the meat. Chorizo does take the heat well and i only use really small pieces of it but larger bits can be better added later. Another favourite of our add later methods is with a burrata that at room temp, mini ones are ideal.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
One tip i've learnt with large amounts of meat (prosciutto for example) is to simply add it AFTER the cooking process, helps the pizza to cook better and also doesn't change the meat. Chorizo does take the heat well and i only use really small pieces of it but larger bits can be better added later. Another favourite of our add later methods is with a burrata that at room temp, mini ones are ideal.
I had been thinking of this actually i will try that next the fennel sausage in my 1st pic was really nice cooked on but i think the cabercero de lomo would be better added later and things like palma ham.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
View attachment 386432View attachment 386433
I'd love one of those ooni's but just can't justify it at the moment so I've been perfecting my technique on the gas webber over the last month or so. Mini pizza seems the best bet to make life easy getting a very thin pizza onto the grill, minimal non wet toppings very important so meat and cheese really plus a bit of chilli or rosemary, grill on lowest setting and a few chunks of applewood around the edge and a roasting tray placed over the pizza to help reflect heat back to the top of the pizza. This is the best pizza I've managed to make and used to do them on a cast iron griddle at home at 300 degrees but they would not bubble up and crisp up as well as these. 4 of these is enough for 2 people.
Hi I too have just bought a rather large Webber BBQ, i will probably try a pizza stone for what they cost, would I too have to put a baking tray over pizza or can I just shut the lid (asking for a friend?)

Ady

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Hi I too have just bought a rather large Webber BBQ, i will probably try a pizza stone for what they cost, would I too have to put a baking tray over pizza or can I just shut the lid (asking for a friend?)

Ady
You might not need to as your base won't cook so fast with the heat being dispersed into the stone so the top will hopefully have time to cook too. We tried it without 1st but the top was underdone compared with the base.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

Ady
I've done it both ways and varied the time the lid is on. I think the answer is try it and work.out what is best for you. I don't think there is a right or wrong way. Just dont use frozen pizzas and lightly flour the pizza stone and rotate the pizza a couple of times to stop it sticking. We use our stone in conjunction with the grill plate as im not sure whether direct flame on the stone would crack the stone. We dont cook pizzas from scratch but use ready made and add extra toppings. Making from scratch is prob a better pizza base, but ours work out really well and tasty without the dreaded soggy bottom .....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back