Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Now this is going to seem real stupid, but no changes there.

Gearing up for our first trip tomorrow and I'm a bit confuddled.

I (believe) I have a thetford c-200 judging by the manual (I have a Rapido 9010DF). 2 main questions, I have read on other threads about filling the flush water tank. Do I have one??? I assumed that water would be drawn from the main water tank. Secondly, do I need to put anything in the cassette before use? I was planning on good old plain water and washing up liquid when it is getting used.

As a supplementary question - toilet paper, cheap one ply stuff, or can anything be used? I'm not actually planning to use the toilet but the kids and missus will.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Oh I can't take any credit. It was at a caravan servicing company and the previous owner had ommited to empty it I believe. I think the staff did an excellent job. It never fails to make me laugh even after seeing it so many times.

Wyn
Was it Sheffield Caravans at Swallownest? The lady looks very familiar and the guy laughing looks like Steve who used to manage it before it became part of Torksey Caravans. Very funny but know how it feels when I've forgotten to add any blue :-(

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I doubt it. We have a 9090DF and don't.

Easy way to find out: Find your fresh water filler cap. Then see if you have a second one somewhere near the toilet locker. Then, if you do have two, make sure you know which is which. (y)

You will get lots of opinions on what to put in your toilet cassette. Nobody is right or wrong, you just need to find what works for you. At present, FWIW, we're using Elsan branded blue chemical only because it worked out at 25% the cost of the Thetford equivalent.

Toilet roll - same answer. Find the one that works for you.
Yes we have the same as Nic Nic a Rapido 9090DF may be the newer model to your picture.. and we don't have a separate tank....
What we use and what every body else uses will most likely differ.....it depends what works for them ....
We use the same as Nic Nic again...elsan Blue if we can get it or any other blue that is available at the cheapest cost....we only use about a teaspoon of blue as little as possible...but sometimes we change from blue to a dab of Canard fresh dic on the inside of the toilet dish depending where we are emptying. as we only use either to kill any smells...I also use about... just over an eggcup of the cheapest bio washing machine liquid I can buy..no water added back in my cassette after emptying....this method seems to keeps my cassette very clean ....I try to empty every day if possible..but two at the utter most...that's why I use so little of the liquids that I add to the cassette after emptying.

Toilet paper...we use 3 ply...always have...but living in France.. and as most of France is on fosse septic tanks...the paper sold in various supermarches in France seems to break down very quickly...so no problem there...Lidl 3 ply seems very good.

And I use Vaseline for the rubber seal around the trap of the cassette...this keeps the seal very supple
You will find what suits you..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
Hello just thought to remind you make sure you have some plastic throw away gloves for when you empty the loo ,if you dont you will find out why i always have them lol
(n):ROFLMAO:(y)

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hello just thought to remind you make sure you have some plastic throw away gloves for when you empty the loo ,if you dont you will find out why i always have them lol
(n):ROFLMAO:(y)
some people are too delicate about a bit of chewed up food. skin is pretty waterproof and a wash afterwards with antibacterial soap will soon clean them. do you put gloves on to wipe your own arse?

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Sheffield Caravans sounds vaguely familiar. I simply found it on you tube and added the link.

Wyn

Was it Sheffield Caravans at Swallownest? The lady looks very familiar and the guy laughing looks like Steve who used to manage it before it became part of Torksey Caravans. Very funny but know how it feels when I've forgotten to add any blue :-(

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
This has reminded me of something that happened to us years ago when we were tuggers. Because we were only ever on sites we only used the loo for night time pees... until the day came when an elderly couple came to visit us in the van and one of them asked to use the loo. To our horror we discovered after they had gone that a piece of solid matter had been deposited in the loo and no matter how we tried we could not get it to come out. It stayed in there stubbornly for literally weeks. Obviously the old boy had a serious case of constipation. ;( We were on a caravan forum in those days so I put a request for help on there. Boy did I get some ribbing - the jokes and amusement went on for days.
Finally found out about pressing the yellow button when emptying the cassette.
So here's my advice - always press the yellow button when you empty it.
Have fun!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
This has reminded me of something that happened to us years ago when we were tuggers. Because we were only ever on sites we only used the loo for night time pees... until the day came when an elderly couple came to visit us in the van and one of them asked to use the loo. To our horror we discovered after they had gone that a piece of solid matter had been deposited in the loo and no matter how we tried we could not get it to come out. It stayed in there stubbornly for literally weeks. Obviously the old boy had a serious case of constipation. ;( We were on a caravan forum in those days so I put a request for help on there. Boy did I get some ribbing - the jokes and amusement went on for days.
Have fun!
you gotta love floaters.....those Richards can swim

Upvote 0

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We have the green for the cassette. Never thought about washing tabs! Ours is fed from the fresh water tank. If we are at Santa Pod I empty every day as its getting used by two adults for everything. If on a camp site with decent bogs we try to just use camper loo less and just peeing. I always use the yellow button for emptying.

Upvote 0

Ginge3685

Free Member
Jun 5, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
K
Now this is going to seem real stupid, but no changes there.

Gearing up for our first trip tomorrow and I'm a bit confuddled.

I (believe) I have a thetford c-200 judging by the manual (I have a Rapido 9010DF). 2 main questions, I have read on other threads about filling the flush water tank. Do I have one??? I assumed that water would be drawn from the main water tank. Secondly, do I need to put anything in the cassette before use? I was planning on good old plain water and washing up liquid when it is getting used.

As a supplementary question - toilet paper, cheap one ply stuff, or can anything be used? I'm not actually planning to use the toilet but the kids and missus will.

I think you will find the flush water is drawn from the main tank, so no additives needed. Just like your caravan you will need to put the deodorant fluid in the cassette . don't use washing up liquid at all because when you are driving you will end up with a bathroom full of foam!!!!! lol.

Upvote 0

Sallytrafic

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
I love authoritative answers so here are mine.
Many Thetford cassette systems don't have a top tank. You can normally tell the ones that don't and which are fed by your fresh water tank pump, because they have a flushing button next to the 'too full' light.
I did experiments (when on the dark side) with Thetford toilet paper against the cheapest 2 ply supermarket ones and the Thetford always came second. What you need is paper that is strong enough to use but which dissolves in half an hour or so.
I have used various liquids including thetford green, biomagic etc but now use formil biological. 50ml added down the pan, I bought a dosing bottle specifically for that. When I used other liquids I found that the valve seal often puckered and lost its sealing after about a year. A new seal is expensive, around £15 I think, so I'm glad that the use of formil seems to help the seal. Also I used to have to give the cassette a really good clean once a year these days I don't even rinse it after emptying. You must then add enough water to cover any subsequent solids so that anaerobic digestion can take place.
Unless you are emptying immediately after someone has done a poo I find that it is all or nearly all liquid.
The practice of leaving water in the bowl is frowned upon by the manufacturer and can catch you out if you remove the cassette without checking.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have fun!
Known to the cognoscenti as a Dead Otter.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
What does the yellow button do?? We only use it for number 1's and haven't had any problems
The yellow button allows air in to the cassette as you empty. It should be held down while you tip up the cassette. This will stop the contents glugging which otherwise can cause unwelcome splashes!

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
The yellow button allows air in to the cassette as you empty. It should be held down while you tip up the cassette.

Thanks, I didn't know that...

This will stop the contents glugging which otherwise can cause unwelcome splashes!

Yes, I usually manage to get splashes - will try the button next time!

Thanks

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Our sixpeneth worth.
We always travel with some water and washing liquid in the cassette.
We use aldi bio stuff.. (formil?)
We use cheapish paper.. Dissolves quicker... And we also use happy bowls.
Empty regularly..
We use sites in the UK a fair bit so we try and use the toilets on site if practical...
Always give the cassette a deep clean when returning home and stick a wipe of olive oil on the seal.

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
As I fulltime, I empty every day,
And just flush when I put cassette back, giving a good rinse when I can.
Chemicals would work out very expensive.
When loo used, I close flap and leave a bit of water on top.
Stops any smells.
Also, some campsites do not allow the blue, both here and abroad.
which flap Sue?:LOL:

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
some people are too delicate about a bit of chewed up food. skin is pretty waterproof and a wash afterwards with antibacterial soap will soon clean them. do you put gloves on to wipe your own arse?
One always wears gloves to wipe ones bottom, doesn't one?

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We use Wessex Blue Bio, which is apparently eco friendly and can be used in waste tank, flush tank etc. As for all the various physical deployment techniques, nothing special here, just open bomb bay doors (the flap) and let rip. Flush and clean as necessary after payload has been delivered. Prepare cassette for use as has already been described (add small amount of water in which to mix Blue Bio & subsequent waste output)

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Ok, have read all of the above with far too much interest to be healthy really!
We have just come back from our first weekend in our MH and managed the cassette quite well. As it is a 5 year old model we weren't sure if the light on the toilet was functioning so used to to be sure (it was). Emptied no probs and added blue stuff etc. All fine - our handover even included the "use the yellow button" advice.

I still have no idea what to do with the pink stuff that came in the twin pack with the blue!

Jen

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You can use the pink to rinse \ clean out the toilet bowl to freshen it up. We have some in a trigger spray bottle for said use.

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
So here is another one..... having used it this weekend we are now worried about the 3 nights wild camping we will be doing in the Pyrenees in July - since we had to empty each day what will we do there? I don't mind him going behind a bush but I won't be!

Do we buy a second cassette? I am sure it isn't the done thing to empty it behind a bush when it is dark!

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
So here is another one..... having used it this weekend we are now worried about the 3 nights wild camping we will be doing in the Pyrenees in July - since we had to empty each day what will we do there? I don't mind him going behind a bush but I won't be!

Do we buy a second cassette? I am sure it isn't the done thing to empty it behind a bush when it is dark!

Well, if he goes behind the bush that halves the fill rate so you're effectively down to 1.5 nights.
Cross your legs for half a night and you're sorted!:whistle::eek:

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Well, if he goes behind the bush that halves the fill rate so you're effectively down to 1.5 nights.
Cross your legs for half a night and you're sorted!:whistle::eek:
But isn't it the way that when you really need to not go - you just want to go more? It's like yawning being catching.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No

Do as the Continental's do and put paper in a bin (or a sealed poly bag ), don' t flush but spray the bowl with water plus pink stuff or, as we do, a dollop of disinfectant) and make use of every cafe you come across. That extends the life of your cassette quite a lot.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back