Using credit debit cards at automated petrol pumps on the continent (1 Viewer)

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Having been to France a few times.I have used credit debit cards in supermarkets with no problems.I have never been able to use self service petrol pumps.My cards are Tesco and Yorkshire bank.Have other people had same problems.we are going to travel to France, down to Italy sometime next year.Can anyone recommend a good card that automatic pumps will take.Any help much appreciated.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We often use self service pumps and have never had a problem but don't use either of the cards you have. We have Nationwide credit and debit cards which we tend to use when we are away.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We spend at least six months each year in France.

We have never had a problem with our Tesco Card at tended or unattended filling stations.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I use a Tesco credit card at automatic pumps in France without problems. Contact Tesco Bank and see if they have a solution.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've used my Tesco credit card for paying at an automated pump with no problem but I try and fill up when the pay booth is open and I can use by Revolut card which won't work on automated pumps.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Yes our Barclays card wasnt accepted for fuel in some places
and it wasn't accepted for entry to an aire on Isle de Re

The aire didn't accept a Dutch guys card either

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I have a Yorkshire bank debit card and had no problems in Europe including self service

Mr Milliemobile

Funster
Sep 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2014
My Halifax clarity card was rejected at self service pump first try took it of card reader and put it back in and it worked. Sometimes the card readers canbe temperamental, happen in UK but less often

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
with my luck it would keep it

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It varies - our Santander cards work for most purposes most of the time but not always at automated pumps, and very occasionally they're rejected by aire ticket machines.

Mr Milliemobile

Funster
Sep 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2014
You may also find a spurious pending payment on your credit card statement online it looks like you have been charged twice for fuel. I spoke to my credit card provider who say it was normal in parts of France and Spain. They disappear after 2 -3 days but was a concern when we first spotted them.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
About five years ago we were having problems, but more recently none at all. However, we use an Aqua credit card, which like some of the others mentioned, has no foreign exchange loading - it also provides 0.5% cashback.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Halifax Clarity never worked in auto pumps in Denmark this summer but used in card machines I always had to sign.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You will find that if you try to use a credit or debit card that is close to its limit it won't work, because if you have internet banking have a look at what it takes out of your account , they nearly always take twice as much as the diesel cost, and then give it you back at a later date, if the extra puts you over your limit it won't work even though the original cost would have been covered.
We got this everywhere we filled up automatically with our Halifax clarity card, it's a bit disconcerting when you first see it on your account but up to yet , fingers crossed it's always been put back.
Edit it took me so long to write this I see @Mr Milliemobile got in first

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Chaser do you mean that a company is taking your money for a few days gaining interest then giving you the original amount back
well that's a new one on me
Eelctricity gas companies please take note
lol

I think the term is barstewards

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Leclerc has recently refurbed 2 fuel stations near St Cere (Lot) both of which are now unmanned at all times. There is a facility to pay in cash before filling up. I have not used this facility and have no idea how widespead it is but it might be worth keeping an eye open.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Used both my Caxton card and Halifax clarity card with no problems at automatic unmanned fuel stations.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use a Halifax Clarity Card or Aqua Card as they have no transaction/usage fees abroad whereas a lot of other cards do so something to check if you have another type. This last trip, however, we rarely used our credit card as we had loads of dosh on our Revolut account when the exchange rate was €1.31 = £1.00 so it made more sense to draw out cash and use that rather than the credit card with the abysmal exchange rate of €1.10 the cards would have given us!!!

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Halifax clarity card- never fails. (YET)!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Same here...Used a number of different debit and credit card with visa or master card symbol never had a problem...

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we use a we swap prepaid card and it works great rates as well for petrol most cards debit the acc with the maximum you can get and then a couple of days after credit the diffence of what you actually purchased

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Used both my Caxton card and Halifax clarity card with no problems at automatic unmanned fuel stations.
I don't do that after reading stuff like this referring to currency cards like Caxton:
We don’t recommend using your Card in automated fuel dispensers (‘Pay At Pump’). When you use an automated fuel dispenser a temporary hold of funds up to the equivalent of £100 or USD$100 will be applied to your Card, even if your transaction is for a lower amount. This is to ensure that you have sufficient funds to pay for the fuel before you leave.

The funds can be held for up to 7 days meaning that you’re not able to access the additional money held during this period. We would always recommend paying at a kiosk or should you need to use an automated fuel dispenser, using an alternative card.
http://www.cashpassport.com/1/en/uk/Top-Navigation/FAQ1/FAQ-my-account/

Deleted User
Chaser do you mean that a company is taking your money for a few days gaining interest then giving you the original amount back
lol

No with ours it sits in the pending transaction, after a few days it disappears, though it does effect your available credit, so be aware if you get close to credit limit.
As a rule as soon as we use the clarity card I send a payment straight from our Uk bank account to ensure we always have credit available. If you use for cash withdrawing this is free, but interest is from the point of withdrawing, so good practice to transfer money straight in.

Lin :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
lol

It's exactly that, but sometimes it's not just a few days, can be a fortnight before you get it back, and it's not just the diesel pump either, if you use your credit card after not realising they have took maybe a hundred pounds out , it could show overdrawn and be rejected somewhere else , even though it actually isn't:(
It's always been the case with airport car hire but this was new to us till this year.
Edit again, I'm getting well and truelly gazumped in this thread today, shall really have to learn to type with more than one finger:(

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I took 5 different cards on my last euro trip, and was down to 1 only working at one stage. First direct cards refused to work in Norway and Finland and Barclaycard decided to change from MasterCard to visa whilst I was away and cancelled my existing card.......moral, you can never take enough cards. Cash is becoming increasingly unusable for fuel in some countries like France and Finland.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Louis
Oh dear
Oh Dear