Urgent help please - anyone speak dutch!!! (4 Viewers)

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi,

Mental last minute request please!!!

Someone has just accepted my offer of 9000 euros for this - but I can't get through on the number he has listed on his ad. He say's he will accept my offer to collect but I need to pay cash only.

Broken Link Removed

The number listed keeps coming up with "not recognised" even though I am dialling 003113..........then the number......

As I am trying to communicate via google translate it's a bit difficult.

I will need to take my daughter, the dog, and get the train down to Harwich and then across to Holland, if we leave tomorrow morning with overnight sailing we could be there Thursday to collect.

Anyone got any thoughts, as I don't want to go through all that if it's a scam, but to me, it looks a decent price and worth the effort involved.

Thanks you guys! ::bigsmile:

(Okay he's sent me the correct number now, but I still need a dutch speaker to phone him for me please?)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Am fascinated by this - not sure whether to salute you or section you Pinkie! Going to Holland to buy your first 'van: from a vendor that don't speak English, accompanied by a dog and a daughter...wow! Suggest that whatever happens, there could be a book in it somewhere...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Am fascinated by this - not sure whether to salute you or section you Pinkie! Going to Holland to buy your first 'van: from a vendor that don't speak English, accompanied by a dog and a daughter...wow! Suggest that whatever happens, there could be a book in it somewhere...

AND Maybe planning to be on the Morocco trip !!:Eeek:

:thumb::thumb: Fingers crossed all goes well... and we will be seeing you soon at a Fun meet..

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
See you are going for it Pinky, if you can keep us posted how you are getting on, I am sure a few on here will be following your progress, good luck :Smile:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Go for it girl. Like a breath of fresh air. You have made my day, if you require anything just contact me.

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Wishing you all the luck in the world Pinkie, have a safe journey and take great care, I admire your guts. hope it turns out well for you. :thumb::thumb:

Please keep us all posted, I am riverted as I am sure others are.

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I wouls like to say that I have known Pinkie about 12 hours.
What a determined woman.
Knows what she wants and will get it.
Good luck to her she has a lot of guts.

My feeling is she will be OK.
The Man seems genuine and he is very nervous selling to an overseas buyer.
I am sure they have the same scamers in the Netherlands as in the UK.

I think it will be all Ok.

I have given Pinkie a few tips but She is not Stupid

The man says the km are genuine so for a Mercedes thats just run in.

I whould add thats its not a Rapido but am afraid of Hagnap so wont say that.:ROFLMAO:

Mel

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Aw..........shucks! ::bigsmile:

Thanks for all your kind words of support, it's not far, just the train journey to London is the boring bit, the ferry is quite fun, and then 3 trains to Tilburg which isn't too bad.

Not such a big deal as people are making out really, we will all be fine, and if it's not good, I don't lose much money, a weekend away..........no problem!

:thumb:

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i wish you all the best on your adventure god speed tack care your a better man than me gungadine:thumb:

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Seriously.. This is almost better than an episode of homeland...
Cant wait for the next post..
Nice one pinkie.. And good luck :thumb:

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Not to mention some third party insurance cover to get the van back to the channel embarkation point. Dave (Snowbird) would be the best to ask.

Was in the Netherlands last week and toyed with the idea of buying an e bike, but bottled out due to lack of clarity on after sales service back in Blighty from manufacturers such as Trek, Batavus, Reise & Muller to name but a few.

We have Giant bikes,bought in UK-in Spain we have seen Dutch owned Giant bikes,same model,with accessories that we just cannot get from UK dealers.

Opps,bit off post,best of luck for your trip Pinkie.
Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Thanks to Snowbird for some very good advice - I do need to deregister it in Holland at the local tax office and get temporary plates for export.

As it's a very old van and doesn't have a certificate of conformity, I wondered how I would tackle that..........but google eventually came up with the goods.

http://www.vwe-netherlands.com/

This site tells you all the local offices, and step-by-step stages of what you need to do to export. Fantastic info. And you can get everything else sorted out there, temp plates and insurance. Fantastic! :Smile:

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Let Pinkie be an example to all us old farts who won't do anything without insurance, medicals, recovery subscriptions, damp meters, levelling ramps, breathalysers, vehicle inspections, spare bulb sets, food grade hose pipes and so on and so on.

My only concern is that she might have gone without any Fray Bentos pies.

Meet the seller and look at the van and use your own judgement.

I, for one, bet it all goes great one way or the other.

There are many, many, many more nice, decent, honest people than there are low life scumbags and there are many, many more good enough motorhomes than there are rust buckets.

JJ

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Let Pinkie be an example to all us old farts who won't do anything without insurance, medicals, recovery subscriptions, damp meters, levelling ramps, breathalysers, vehicle inspections, spare bulb sets, food grade hose pipes and so on and so on.

There are many, many, many more nice, decent, honest people than there are low life scumbags and there are many, many more good enough motorhomes than there are rust buckets.

JJ

Here here
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Mel

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp

JJ

Totally agree with that sentiment, not sure about the Fray Bentos pies..........I may live near Dundee but I am a Southerner, not a pie eater! :ROFLMAO: (Okay, then I admit to the occasional very posh steak pie!)

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
JJ

And therein lies the problem - no evidence she has the mechanical expertise to tell a lemon from a peach.

Her judgement ! She's paying more than the asking price, sight unseen.

Good luck Pinkie, by god you need it. Remember just because it is old and cheap does not affect the repair costs, they are always high. That few thousand saving over the UK priced one is peanuts if it's a bad 'un. If there's any hint of problems driving it, if there is an hint of damp, run a mile or 1.3 kilometres.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Yes, but they are solid vehicles, I don't envisage any major problems. Also, what is the point of going through life fearing the worst.........the Dutch are generally speaking a tidy nation (massive generalisation there, but I'm sure you see my point!)

I like to have a positive attitude to things, it's more fun and gets you further I think. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
And it was an auction site, with him accepting/rejecting offers - he rejected euros 8500, so I upped the offer. At the exchange rate I got for euros 9000 it works out at £7653, so to me, it's a bargain! :roflmto:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I'm of the opinion that life in general is full of hurdles, some big, some small. Some will sit and look at the big hurdles and wait for someone to bring a ladder, and some will find a way of getting over or round that hurdle on there own. I think this lady belongs to the second group of hurdlers and she has my greatest respect :thumb:.
With the tenacity she has shown am sure it will all work out well, it generally does in these cases.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes, but they are solid vehicles, I don't envisage any major problems. Also, what is the point of going through life fearing the worst.........the Dutch are generally speaking a tidy nation (massive generalisation there, but I'm sure you see my point!)

I like to have a positive attitude to things, it's more fun and gets you further I think. ::bigsmile:

Solid but not invincible. One bad joint on the body and there can be thousands of pounds of damage. Mercedes are not immune to rotting and any vehicle can have wrecked mechanics due to bad driving.

Posts in here recently show how prevalent water damage is.

Where does "positive" end and "foolhardy" begin. I don't know but rushing over to the Netherlands, €9000 in hand on the basis of the Dutch being tidy people has to be getting close.

Take care. For what it's worth we all want you to succeed but remember if it goes pear shaped all those praising you won't be paying the bills.

JJ is naturally a big supporter, you are buying the right van ( he's right too ) but just look in here and see how many times he fixes it. He's a man, clever with mechanical things, do you have superhuman mechanical and electrical skills ?

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
But not your money if it goes horribly wrong !

What would you suggest she do Brian. Wait for the boat to come to her ?. She has my full contact details and if she does get into any trouble at least she knows someone is able and willing to sort whatever problems she has out. The only problem I can see is the dog :RollEyes:.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Solid but not invincible. One bad joint on the body and there can be thousands of pounds of damage. Mercedes are not immune to rotting and any vehicle can have wrecked mechanics due to bad driving.

Posts in here recently show how prevalent water damage is.

Where does "positive" end and "foolhardy" begin. I don't know but rushing over to the Netherlands, €9000 in hand on the basis of the Dutch being tidy people has to be getting close.

Take care. For what it's worth we all want you to succeed but remember if it goes pear shaped all those praising you won't be paying the bills.

JJ is naturally a big supporter, you are buying the right van ( he's right too ) but just look in here and see how many times he fixes it. He's a man, clever with mechanical things, do you have superhuman mechanical and electrical skills ?

As normal brian quite correctly puts it into perspective
I really want this to work out for you and if its not the right van for you put your money back in the bank and you an your daughter have had a adventure

Please be careful

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What would you suggest she do Brian.

Ask for a FUN volunteer to go with her, at no cost or risk to a FUNster offering their best advice. How much easier if she limited her search to the UK.

It's harder for her to buy than one of the FUNsters who just goes out and buys new. She's on a limited budget so if anything goes wrong it hurts far more.

I have this conversation with my daughter regularly. It usually ends up with dad picking up the pieces. Reasonably gladly.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back