Urgent help needed, (1 Viewer)

May 20, 2023
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobile 770hs act
Exp
2023 very newbie
Hi guys , we have recently purchased a 2004 eura mobil 2.8 jtd fiat ducato base . We are due to leave the UK on Friday, heading for the south of spain , previous owner had it sat in a field for god knows how long.
The Vehicle has been serviced , and had a new mot when we bought it . BUT whilst husband was taking it for a drive recently , he noticed that whilst braking, he is getting juddering through the brake pedal.
The whole of the underneath has been stripped and cleaned , numerous times trying to find the issue.
We have now replaced the suspension , brake shoes , discs , pads, drums , brakes have been bled a couple of times now , and a diagnostic test picked up no faults on the van or abs unit, we are now about to replace the master cylinder , in a desperate attempt to try and save our holiday ,and sanity .
I was wondering if anyone has had any similar problems , or any suggestions as to the cause ..

OP
OP
michelle wilson 76
May 20, 2023
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobile 770hs act
Exp
2023 very newbie
Thanks tombola I will get him to check it , would that fault have flagged up on the diagnostic test .?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
michelle wilson 76
May 20, 2023
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobile 770hs act
Exp
2023 very newbie
How bad is the judder ?
Sounds like you have already replaced the likely culprits
Was it noted on the recent MOT ? presumably brake performance was satisfactory
I'm told the juddering is intermittent, nothing on the mot, have had 4 people looking at it , non of them seem to think anything is locking up .

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
I had this on one of our old cars, sat for about 7 months without moving. It snowed one day and I couldn't bother walking to work so sparked it up and everything worked but it juddered under braking. Replaced pads and discs and still there so rebuilt the calipers with a rebuild kit and it went away.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Get the sliders on the calipers taken out, cleaned. check the rubber boot on them while you are it.
If it has been sat for a very long time I would replace the sliders with a full service kit.

I had exactly the same issue with a 2007 Eura mobil and then again on a Ducato 2.8JTD

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2023
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 684FB
Exp
Since 1998
on the rear axle there is a load compensation valve which adjusts the amount of braking on the rear depending on the loading ( weight) on the rear axle is this working correctly they are prone to seizing
if it has failed the rear brakes may be thinking that the van is at max weight and allowing maximum rear brake force which could momentarily lock the rear wheels causing the abs to cut in causing the pedal judder
worth a look

Upvote 0
OP
OP
michelle wilson 76
May 20, 2023
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobile 770hs act
Exp
2023 very newbie
Get the sliders on the calipers taken out, cleaned. check the rubber boot on them while you are it.
If it has been sat for a very long time I would replace the sliders with a full service kit.

I had exactly the same issue with a 2007 Eura mobil and then again on a Ducato 2.8JTD
Thankyou grommet , I will look into that .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
michelle wilson 76
May 20, 2023
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobile 770hs act
Exp
2023 very newbie
on the rear axle there is a load compensation valve which adjusts the amount of braking on the rear depending on the loading ( weight) on the rear axle is this working correctly they are prone to seizing
if it has failed the rear brakes may be thinking that the van is at max weight and allowing maximum rear brake force which could momentarily lock the rear wheels causing the abs to cut in causing the pedal judder
worth a look

Upvote 1
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
worth a look
They have tried disabling the ABS and still judders. I had a seized compensation valve and all it did was reduce the effectiveness of the rear brake. Failed MOT 2 years on a row on that one.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back