Urgent advice needed (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We are due to go away today to meet up with Wildge's party. Brought the van out of storage yesterday and connected to EHU in order to cool the fridge down. Went out this morning and the fridge temp is 20 deg. I selected 230V feed for the fridge. The fridge is a Dometic full size fridge/freezer type RMD85.. Series.This is only the second time out so what is different from the first which was OK? Well i have fitted the winter vent covers as it was down to about 3deg last night. My first question is should both vents be covered or just one? I have now removed them both and there was a lot of hot air coming out of the top vent. The food is now back in the house awaiting developments.
PS i have now selected gas as from experience this cools a lot quicker than electric.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Is the Mo Ho standing level?
I have had our fridge defrost just before going away twice now. It was standing on the drive which is on a bit of a slope and was connected to mains. As soon as I put it on gas it cooled quite quickly.
Never had a problem with the fridge being out of level before but it doesn't seem to like being tilted slightly backwards and to the left.

Richard.

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
There is a very slight slope to the back but it didn't bother it last time. Now it's on gas it is cooling. Will leave the covers off and see how it goes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks for that, it's the sort of info I need. When i bought the covers I rang round a few retailers and asked that question but none of them knew the answer.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hot air from the top vent means it's doing it's job. We too have a AES Dometic fridge (the big one) and we never use vent covers in the winter. I would switch on the AES selector and save on gas.

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
You should not use the top vent cover when the fridge is on gas.

Just the bottom.

Was you on gas at the time.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for that, it's the sort of info I need. When i bought the covers I rang round a few retailers and asked that question but none of them knew the answer.
The instructions which came with my 'fridge were to fit both covers if the ambient temperature is below 10°C. But it is a different model to yours.

I would be surprised if you can't download some instructions for your model from the manufacturer's website.

Edit: You can download it from here. Just enter 8555 in the search field. There seems to be one manual for the whole series.
Link Removed
For your model it only refers to a "winter cover" which suggests only one and the illustration shows the lower vent.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Have you a problem with your lead causing reverse polarity? Check your charger unit!

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Very much the same as mine, i now start mine on gas let it get cold, and then switch to electric about the third bar, works every time.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You will know if you have reverse polarity, the 'fridge will become a very good oven. :xsmile:

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Quick update after our New Year's break. I took the vent covers off and switched to gas to speed up the cooling process. Within just over an hour it was cold enough to put the food in and get on our way. When we arrived on site i plugged the EHU in and selected auto power on the fridge and it picked 230v and worked fine without the covers.
The annoying thing about this episode is that the Dometic handbook says to fit the vent coverS if the temp is below 11 deg. That to me indicated two covers and if it had meant one cover then it should have specified which vent to cover.
Anyway, thanks to you all for your replies. :xThumb:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Has anyone got a picture of these covers , as I'm not sure if mine have them fitted or not,, and there is nothing inside the MH for me to fit.
Our MH is a 2007 Bessacarr E560 and the fridge is Thetford premium LCD N180
Just so I know if I need to get any.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Jun 1, 2016
Chesham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since April 2016
This is a picture of a typical cover and grill. You will have two grills, so two covers.

Please note that this photograph was taken to demonstrate to the dealer that the wrong covers had been supplied. The cover fits within the grill surround. Two locks are turned, a penny coin is a useful tool turn the locks. Make sure you have the locks when you buy a cover as they have a habit of falling out and getting lost.

Attachments

• IMG_1095.JPG
    IMG_1095.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
This is a picture of a typical cover and grill. You will have two grills, so two covers.

And that is where my troubles started. You may or may not require two covers. It all depends on the type and manufacturer of the grills. Check and double check before you order. I now have a £36 cover which I don't need.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back