Uprating our 2008 Hymer - how we did it (1 Viewer)

Feb 25, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer T654
Exp
Since 2016
Hello,

this is my first forum post - and sorry it’s a long one! But after reading so many stories about uprating your MH, we wanted to share our experience of uprating our motorhome from 3,500kg to 3,850kg - spoiler alert: it cost us EUR 89 and was pretty straight forward. :)

This is our first motorhome, and suffice to say, we had a lot of bits and pieces we needed to spend money on already! I had read loads of posts about weight uprating - and saw only one option: SV Tech. However, we felt it was also a pricey option...

After a bit of research, we knew that our particular model (2008 Hymer T654 on a Fiat Ducato) could be ordered from new as 3,500kg or 3,850kg … so figured we should not need technical modifications to uprate it.

So here are the steps we have taken:

1. On the 27th March, I emailed Hymer in Germany via their website (contact pages / general inquiries): https://www.hymer.com/en/service-and-accessories/hymer-dialog-center/general-inquiry.html

I asked if they could confirm, that we could uprate our MH to 3,850kg. I included in the email the model, serial number, VIN number and current weight plate information.

On the 30th March I received a reply from their customer service team, confirming uprating was not a problem, and that they could send us a letter/certificate of “non-concern” ("Unbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung”) and a new weight plate. This would cost EUR 89.00.

I replied and said that we would like to do so, sent them our address and asked if they could please issue the certificate in English… then a few days passed and I had not heard back from them…..until:

2. We received a letter from Hymer (dated the 4th April), confirming “that the above mentioned vehicle with VINxxxxx can be uprated to a permissible maximum weight of 3,850kg without any technical modifications”. Furthermore, the letter stated the new weight plate data (axle weights etc). The new weight plate was also enclosed.

3. I transferred EUR 89.00 (using Transferwise), which translated to £77.99 to the Hymer bank details stated in the letter.

… then we let things slip a bit, and a few weeks passed….

4. On the 1st May we sent a letter to the DVLA. We stated “Please find enclosed the application to upgrade the revenue weight of our Hymer Motorhome (number plate) from 3,500kg to 3,850kg and change the tax class from Private Light Goods to Private Heavy Goods.

We included in the letter:
  • The original V5C registration document with completed section 7 ==>> “New revenue weight” as 3,850, “Date of change” as 01/05/17, “Tax Class” as Private HGV
  • The original letter of confirmation from the manufacturer (Hymer GmbH & Co. KG), that the vehicle can be upgraded without technical modifications.
  • A photocopy of the weight plate provided by the manufacturer (Hymer GmbH & Co. KG) showing the new revenue weight, axle and tow weights
  • The current MOT certificate in its original
  • A completed V10 document to change the Tax Class (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-vehicle-tax-v10)
…. and then we waited (anxiously)!!

On the 18th May we received a letter from the DVLA confirming the refund for vehicle tax due to the change in tac class (it also stated that the V5C will follow shortly).

On the 20th May we received the V5C document, complete with new revenue weight!

We are over the moon, that it was cheap and easy to do. And we hope this might help some fellow motorhomers, too!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Nic, welcome to the fun house ... a brilliant first post!

There is another option for the UK (John Ruffles) who is mentioned on other threads and a lot cheaper (approx £150) than SVTech (approx £360) but obviously if you can get the manufacturer of the MH to 'play ball' then it's gonna be the cheapest option. Hymer are willing to help out its MH owners but unfortunately most MH manufacturer's don't want to know so a 'third party' has to approve the uprating.

Hopefully other Hymer owners will be able to go direct to Hymer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
ignore ... internet hiccup!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
My Dethleffs is the same, done by the previous owner.
BUT, and it's a big but, the axle weights weren't changed just the total, so the rear axle is still 2000kg limit, meaning to get up to 3850, the loading would have to be spread across the chassis evenly. I took the precaution of fitting 225 section tyres on the back to increase the load rating.

OP
OP
Nic010101
Feb 25, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer T654
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Minxy!

Thank you, this is a great forum, so much good information! Of the little we know / experienced so far we really wanted to contribute :D

I had seen a mention of John Ruffles, but not found an awful lot of information at the time... sounds also like a good alternative, too.

Considering weight issues seem to be so common, I wish all MH manufacturers would play ball. This would make the whole thing an awful lot less stressful. I am very glad Hymer did, and very much hope they continue to do so.

OP
OP
Nic010101
Feb 25, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer T654
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Billgski,

good point, the same here - axle weights stayed the same. We took it to a weighbridge loaded, and whilst we were over the 3.5t at the time, we had enough axle weight front and rear spare. So for us it works. But I am sure it will depend on your individual set up, and everyone will have to ensure it works for them.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
good point, the same here - axle weights stayed the same. We took it to a weighbridge loaded, and whilst we were over the 3.5t at the time, we had enough axle weight front and rear spare.
Also same here. We have moved some of the compact heavier items (ebike batteries, bike locks/chains, tools) to the front of the van (under the drivers seat is a good place...but be careful of seat wiring!). So hopefully that will lessen the rear axle loading. We had 60kg to spare but thought it would even up the loads a bit.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
For info l was wondering about uprating a Hymer that I saw for sale. I took a photo of the vin plate and sent it to Hymer and they confirmed what @Nic010101 found out. As I didn't buy the van I didn't proceed but good to know it worked ok for the OP.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Great first post which I'm sure will be helpful to many, well done, you must now ensure that your next post is sarcastic, arbitrary and contentious you can then be classed as an old hand! :whistle:

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
Hi, Time this 3500kg carry on was got rid of up all M/Hs at manufacture to 3950kg and anyone thats has had a clean driving lic for 5 years or 25 years old can drive one, whats the point in sticking a trailer behind making it twice as long and 50% heavier so any old 18 year old can drive one.
Cant wait for any replies.
Bill

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
That is definitely the way to do it, because most manufacturers were constructing to weight higher than 3500kg and had C+U Certs to prove it, but for marketing many dealers wanted then plated to 3500kg. The first thing to do is, as Nic did, send the details to the manufacturer to obtain certified weight, or even maybe call the FIAT, or whichever Agent, in UK because they may have access to the info on the computer.

Not wishing to rain on Nic's (OP) parade but Niesmann+Bischoff (also Hymer Group) sent our new plate FOC, when Hymer were charging, but maybe Hymer Group have changed N+B's policy since then.

Even if you have to pay for the 'Plate' it is cheaper than going to SVTech or equivalent.

Geoff

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Very interesting post @Nic010101 . Sounds like a good option. Currently considering whether to uprate ours. If we decide to do it, I think we'll do it in the way you describe.
Thanks.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back