Upgrading chassis gwv and payload

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jagtazman, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

I was hoping to get a direct answer from sv tech however despite sending 2 emails to sv tech both with read receipts confirming Gareth has read said emails he has not had the common courtesy to reply. To which I am extremely peeved off with to say the least. Yes I know I could ring. However due to workloads it's not possible atm. Anyone else have issues trying to get svtech to respond to emails.?

So I am hoping someone on here can answer my questions.

I am still looking to purchase an a class rapido however I am aware the payloads are shite. So I am looking at upgrade options.

I am looking at 06-11 models and I am aware these were built on fiat camper,alko and merc chassis.

From my research I know these can be upgraded paper only to either 3700 or 3800. However I wish to know to what level for which chassis.

I am prob looking to upgrade further and heard peeps have gone over 4t using air suspension. However again is this for a certain chassis? And would I need to upgrade to 16 inch wheels. I belive one of the chassis can go to 4250 on 15inch wheels. Read it somewhere but cannot find post on another site.

I would rather get this information prior to purchasing a motorhome as this will determine my purchase budget. I know i have to spend money upgrading but don't wasn't to find out bought a vehicle which can only go to 3700 when a different model could go a lot further.

Appreciate upgrade may cost 500-1000 maybe more but with a family of 4 I need it. If anyone has approx cost for air suspension upgrades would be appreciated.

Yes I could choose a different manufacture however I really like build quality of rapido's and the layout. Also like Idea if air suspension giving better ride.

Appreciate any assistance anyone can provide.

Thanks in advance.

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

By a van with 16" don't get tangled up in trying to upgrade wheels it don't work

• Like Like x 2
  3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

thats very hard to answer with out having chassis details .
    sv.tec have a link with the manufacturers but just saying its a 3,500kg chassis doesnt give enough info to honestly answer your question .
    my advice would be look for one thats already rated higher .
    i know its not quite what you wanted to hear but more details i think is needed . gareth is usually very helpfull. but very busy. i,m sure he requires more info .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lorryman100

Lorryman100 Funster

I have a new Rapido A class which came plated at 3500kg. I fitted VB air assist suspension and up plated to 3850kg on a fiat chassis with 150bhp via SVtech, this is the manufacturers original plate weights 2000kg for the rear, 1850kg for the front. If I then upgrade the rear tyres to 225/70 r15 with a load rating of 112 the rear axle can be up plated to 2240kg from 2000kg giving a new GVW of 4090kg's . SV tech will do this upgrade for free if I do it within the year of the original up plating. All in the VB air assist was supplied and fitted by a VB dealer for around £600 and £310 to SV Tech for the up plating. HTH.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Cheers problem is I think they only came on 15 that's all I have seen

6. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Wonderful thanks for that can I ask it is a standard fiat chassis or alko will determine if I get F it DF. Just need someone with a merc chassis to confirm if these can go as high

7. Techno

Mine came on 16" I'm sure there are some out there

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

I know that's my point though svtech will know what chassis can do what do all they needed to do is reply to my email with details so can make a decision. If one chassis def cannot be upgraded then I can cross off my list

9. Lorryman100

Lorryman100 Funster

Bog standard Fiat chassis with leaf springs. Very stable with the VB air assist fitted.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Techno

11. Maddo

Maddo Funster

Hi Jagtazman
    Where did you get VB air suspension for £600? I am trying to upgrade my Pilote for the same reasons, but costs are coming in at £900+!!
    Thanks

12. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

It was @Lorryman100 what said £600 Not sure where he got his fitted from but good point would be interested to know myself.

13. Maddo

Maddo Funster

Sorry Jagtazman, less speed more haste!
    The VB system seems to be only available with the compressor, guages etc, £700 plus £240 dealer fitting (Conrad Anderson) Birmingham is my nearest. Tried AS Air suspension which is £100 cheaper, but they can't fit till July!

14. Lorryman100

Lorryman100 Funster

Turriff caravans near Aberdeen is the VB dealer I used. The price is dependant on the chassis type, Alko chassis require additional fixings which raises the cost and you do not need to get the compressor just get the basic kit with gauges.

[​IMG]

15. Lorryman100

Lorryman100 Funster

16. Maddo

Maddo Funster

Mine's just the Fiat chassis with leaf springs. I didn't know you could opt out of the compressor, only listed with it included on the VB site. I'll have a chat with the fitter. Thanks.

17. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

18. Lorryman100

Lorryman100 Funster

If you want to be able to lift and lower the suspension from the cab then you will need the compressor and switch panel for your model of motorhome. The basic kit is basically the two air bags and fittings plus pipe work to schrader valves. I added the gauges so that I could visually keep an eye on the bag pressures. Initially the pressure was set at 2 bar which lifted the rear end a good 6 inches and was quite firm. I lowered the pressures eventually to 1 bar and this gives a good smooth ride without the wallowing associated with just having the leaf springs fitted. If I need to raise the pressures a foot pump or compressor can easily be attached to the schrader valves and the bags inflated. The bags do not hold a lot of air so not much pumping is required to raise the pressure. The Rapido sits quite high in the back end as standard so clearance wasn't an issue when specifying the system that would suit my use which turned out to be the basic kit.

[​IMG]

This was the height at 2 bar pressure

[​IMG]

19. Lorryman100

Lorryman100 Funster

Just dug out the receipt for the VB air assist from Turriff caravans:

1 x semi air kit £380.00
    1 x gauge kit £64.80
    1 x Labour £180.00
    1 x carriage £48.00
    Total £672.80

• Informative Informative x 1