update on blown engine in spain

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jacken, Jun 12, 2009.

1. jacken

jacken Read Only Funster

Well----went to the Merc garage yesterday p.m and engine all stripped down. Mechanic showed me a big hole in no. 5 piston. How it happened, they are not sure. But--I fell on the floor when they showed me the quote for new engine--11,000 euros. Our breakdown insurance people rang around and confirmed that this was the usual price. Merc don't do recon engines, they will only fit new ones, with a 2 year warranty. The garage contacted Merc H.Q to see if they would bear some of the cost but to no avail. The van has done 50,000 miles and you would'nt expect to be replacing an engine at that mileage. The van is on a 53 plate and is the 5 cylinder 2.7 litre.

The only good news is that they can get a new engine from Madrid by to-day (Friday) and they will have it back on the road by next Tuesday.

So there it is, not good news from me in Spain.

ken

2. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

I can understand Mercedes point of view at only installing new replacement engines, but they aren't the ones paying, I know its Spain and it may be difficult but is it possible to ask if someone perhaps in the workshop, if they can, or if they know, someone who could perhaps re-build your own one or if they know of a company that could perhaps supply a refurbished unit, as 11K is a lot of money.

I am really sorry to here of your problems

Braunston

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I know your stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment, and there is not an awful lot you can do :Doh:
    I would be looking at having the engine repaired, there are engine re manufactures in Spain
    Failing that I would be looking at a second hand unit
    have you considered getting it repatriated and fixed at home:Sad:
    I doubt very much that the insurance will cover return costs as a fix is available there The joys of Main Agent labour costs and genuine replacement parts,
    God Bless Mercedes:Angry:
    For the Fiat knockers out there, that represents about 3 Fiat engine swop's inc new gearbox and clutch:Wink: Bring on the judder:thumb:
    Geo

4. camper69

camper69 Read Only Funster

Sorry to hear of your problem

I can only seond what Brauston has said and try to get the engine rebuilt or a recon one put in.

£11k is a lot of dosh.

Derek

Edit -Sorry I ment Euros but I suppose they are nearly the same

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  5. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I really feel for you 11K would be way beyond me now.

Hope you can sort it.

6. olley

olley Funster

Hi this maybe a stupid question; why can't they just fit a new piston?

Olley

7. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I guess the reason they cannot fit a new piston is they are not mechanics only servicemen.

8. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

So if they only fit new it won't be an exchange unit then! So why not bring the engine home if you can and sell it for spares/repairs.

I'm with Olley on this why can't they just put a piston in? If they don't know what's caused it obviously it's not dropped a valve so head should be ok. I have done that many a time in Europe in services/car parks or on side of the road to my Scania trucks even changed a liner aswell as the piston had picked up on it and seized the rings in their grooves!!!

Not me but two of my trucks and a driver doing running repairs in France enroute home early 80's

[​IMG]

Regards Pat

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  9. olley

olley Funster

If that was the case they would have stripped the engine? And anyway how hard is it to fit a new one?? It only gets a bit more difficult if you can't get the rod either up the bore or past the crank.

Scania's; easy engine to work on pat, wet liners just tap in and out. :BigGrin: Can't say I would fancy do it in a car park though.

Olley

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ridiculous - is this how to save the planet ?????

11. camper69

camper69 Read Only Funster

Where did that come into it?

We just need to save the OP money.

Derek

12. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Dont worry about the planet
    The money Merc is making they will buy us a new one:RollEyes::thumb:

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

anybody with a camper or vehicle cant really care about the planet. when all the humans have left this world it may be a better place. till then i,m sure a new piston could be fitted so long as the bore is ok. lifes not good to most of us most of the time!

14. johng

johng Read Only Funster

wow
    11K Euro's

really sorry for you..

I destroyed a motorbike once in France, had all parts shipped over and rebuilt it in a 35C carpark :)

drove it back home that night ...

there must be another way.. paying 3-2K for it to be fixed seems amazing compared to a new engine, besides, the rest of the motor is hardly run in!

good luck
    John

15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Well the Germans are prime movers in EU regulation so one of their biggest companies taking the line that their engines are not repairable is unacceptable.

BUT, the original post was saying Mercedes don't do exchange engines, it didn't say they don't supply spare parts, maybe someone would prefer a €11K+ sale than a new piston.

16. stagman

stagman Deleted User

Could you not get it brought home for repair .Suerly you would get a lot of change from 11k and source you own engine or parts .:thumb:

17. nahnotme

nahnotme Read Only Funster

similar thing happened to me, got towed to burscough commercials, they re bored it new piston etc, cost a grand and half !!
    pm me if you want details

18. Road Runner

:Rofl1::Laughing::Rofl1::Laughing::Rofl1:

19. jacken

jacken Read Only Funster

Thanks for your kind replies. Just to update you. Went to garage to-day, luckily the only person to speak a little english was there. The engine is now out completey and I had a good look at it. All the parts look pristine, except no. 5 piston, with the hole in it and-- the bore is scored to hell, result of the piston metal doing it's worst. I put to to the garage about just repairing, i:e new piston etc. but they would'nt play ball. The main problem is that we are in a bad position. We would have to pay to have the van taken to another garage, we would have to pay for the work carried out already and god knows what another garage would do.

To be honest this Merc dealership seem to be a genuine lot and I don't think we are being had. We saw the new engine to-day which was shipped from Madrid overnight and it is a complete new engine. New Turbo, air con unit the whole shooting match. After speaking to a UK Merc dealer on the phone, they said to put it all in writing and you may!! get a contribution of up to 40% of the cost but will have to fight for it.

Ken

20. Road Runner

I am saving the planet by sponsoring Indian call centres:Wink::Laughing:

£11K would destroy me now.

Is there anyway of recovering it to the UK?