Up plating & DVLA paperwork (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Well I have just posted off the paperwork to DVLA for my up plating of our new van and having read various threads on here regarding DVLA not amending the second figure of maximum weight as well as the revenue weight thought I would save myself all the hassle... so I thoughtfully circled the maximum weight for them and added a note kindly asking them to ensure that they increase this figure to the same as the revenue weight at the first attempt rather than posting an incorrect V5 back to me an then me sending it back with exactly the same note written on that version. OK I left that last bit out keeping it polite.
Let's see how I get on....

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Well I have just posted off the paperwork to DVLA for my up plating of our new van and having read various threads on here regarding DVLA not amending the second figure of maximum weight as well as the revenue weight thought I would save myself all the hassle... so I thoughtfully circled the maximum weight for them and added a note kindly asking them to ensure that they increase this figure to the same as the revenue weight at the first attempt rather than posting an incorrect V5 back to me an then me sending it back with exactly the same note written on that version. OK I left that last bit out keeping it polite.
Let's see how I get on....

Good luck as a few of us have done that in the past with the V5 being returned with only the taxation weight being updated and not the maximum weight. :mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I thoughtfully circled the maximum weight for them and added a note kindly asking them to ensure that they increase this figure to the same as the revenue weight at the first attempt
Good idea.....but sadly it doesn't seem to work :( I helpfully stuck brightly-coloured post-its on the relevant parts of the V5, and mentioned in the covering letter both items that needed updating.....and they still didn't manage to do it properly :(

Didn't stop me trying the same again when up-plating the current MH.....am now waiting for them to action it and send the new one back (I'm not holding my breath though!)

OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
And there was I thinking I'd got it sussed! Still one day it might work

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
You have me worried now. I only filled in the forms as directed by SvTech.

No idiots guide. No stickies. 😱😱😱

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
God! You're brave (or incredibly optimistic)

You KNOW??? don't cha that you need a V5c to take the van abroad.

See you in 2030?

OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
You have me worried now. I only filled in the forms as directed by SvTech.

No idiots guide. No stickies. 😱😱😱
You apparently have just as much chance of getting a correct V5 back as those of us who have been taking lessons from Tony Hart!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣 who said completing government required paperwork is dull really quite exciting to see what happens😉

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think the problem is that DVLA know that Revenue Weight is based on maximum weight so feel there is no need to duplicate it.

They do not take account that the para for Revenue Weight is only for UK purposes(thus in square brackets) and does not appear on international documents, so is confusing to foreign officials.

It is time DVLA changed their education from the top.

Why DVLA deal with weight changes and not DVSA, which has the remit for the technical aspects of vehicles, e.g. IVAs, MOTs etc., is a mystery.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Just spoken to SvTech. My new V5 was issued 28th Feb and online it says 4000kg Revenue weight which is what I applied for.
SvTech say DVLA never alter the max weight figure on the right of the V5 as it is not the figure used by UK and foreign authorities. The revenue weight is the one to go by. In fact IIRC the instructions SvTech send out do say that. I must check.

So, as long as the revenue weight is what you want then all is good to go.

Edit see photo

IMG_0102.jpeg

OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Whilst I agree with everything you say and indeed my paperwork was the same from SV Tech it still doesnt sit comfortably that the printed Max Authorised weight is several hundred kgs lower than the revenue weight one legal document that may be inspected by officers of the law

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Good luck as a few of us have done that in the past with the V5 being returned with only the taxation weight being updated and not the maximum weight. :mad:
Three attempts for mine. I sent it back with very bright yellow highlighter pen and a covering letter explaining my dissatisfaction with the dvla incompetence and one or the other did the trick :giggler:

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Whilst I agree with everything you say and indeed my paperwork was the same from SV Tech it still doesnt sit comfortably that the printed Max Authorised weight is several hundred kgs lower than the revenue weight one legal document that may be inspected by officers of the law
I hear that. Once I have the V5 in my possession I will take the matter up with the DVLA but SV says it’s something historic and no longer used by anyone.

Edit, from below I will do the same.

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I agree with you entirely. A copy of my letter to the DVLA follows. This got me a new V5 with consistent treatment of revenue weight and gross mass.

DVLA Vehicles Ops
Swansea
SA99 1BA

Dear Sir,

Gross Weight Inconsistency on V5C - Doc Ref ……

I have received a new V5C this week following the uprating of my motorhome to 4000kg from 3500kg. The new revenue weight has been correctly recorded on the V5, but the maximum permissible mass has remained at 3500kg. This is clearly inconsistent with the plated maximum weight on the vehicle shown on the converters plate (SV Tech copy attached).
I fear that if I am challenged for being over 3500kg (particularly when travelling in Europe) I would find it hard to explain the difference. Surely both weights should be the same?
Please provide a letter of explanation to show to a law enforcement official or an updated V5C showing the maximum permissible mass at 4,000kg.
I am sending copies of the V5C to you as I need to travel to France shortly and cannot afford to be without a V5 if there are delays in responding to this letter. Should you require me to send in the old V5 after a new one has been issued this will be arranged. Alternatively I will just destroy the old one.

I would be grateful for your urgent attention to this matter.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I would rather not be trying to explain that to the foreign old bill at the side of the road. .
Agree. Although I am sure Sv are right too. I will have a go at DVLA as above.
I too like symmetry in things.

Last edited:

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I'm very happy to be challenged on this, but I thought that some of you would appreciate a little more explanation of my actions in challenging the DVLA. My understanding is that the current structure and content of our vehicle registration documents (and driving licences) are the result of the extensive legislative harmonisation required when the UK joined the EU back in the day. The terminology and definitions on these documents have real meaning in law. The DVLA did not invent their own definitions - the ones you see on our documents are strictly interpreted by courts in the EU and here. Revenue weight is usually to do with taxation - VED in the UK's case. Gross mass is to do with vehicle weight and the physical burden it can legally carry. If I'm stopped and weighed I would expect the gross mass to be the thing that the authorities would examine not the revenue weight - hence my letter to the DVLA. I'm sure others will have views on this and agree with the line that SV Tech have advanced. They may be right. The trouble was, for me, that I didn't believe that I could convince a cop at the roadside in the EU that I'm legit cos a UK engineering company says so. If there was going to be an inconsistency on my V5 I wanted the DVLA to say it was OK and give me a letter confirming that to be the case. I got a revised V5 and internally consistent V5 as a result.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
If I am reading this right that is why the DVLA do not change the Max Permissible Mass on the V5 when you up plate as they say the Revenue Weight is the same thing.
Either way, I’ll still get them to amend the figure on the r/h side of the V5

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If I am reading this right that is why the DVLA do not change the Max Permissible Mass on the V5 when you up plate as they say the Revenue Weight is the same thing.
Either way, I’ll still get them to amend the figure on the r/h side of the V5
When I uprated my last van they left the MAM at 3500 it took me 4 months to get them to put it right.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
When I uprated my last van they left the MAM at 3500 it took me 4 months to get them to put it right.
I can believe it. Given the pic I posted above, the info Sv sent me and the new V5 I am happy to run at the higher weight both here and abroad until I can get the MAM amended.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not used in the UK ......so why not simply delete the GVW line on the V5c.
Of course the V5c needs the gross weight otherwise a 3.55t van could be loaded to 7.5ton and nobody would be any the wiser.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back