Unicorn? Dodo? ???

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by stcyr, Jan 8, 2012.

1. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Just a thought: seems we're the only ones to have a Dethleffs Globetrotter A-class! (old one, 1991) ...

Do others know something we don't? :Eek!:

2. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I did hear that there was only one ever made and that it was made for a joke:RollEyes::RollEyes:

• Like Like x 4
  3. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Did you hear that too? Oh boy o boy:Doh: Weren't it made by slave labour in a Siberian Gulag? :Sad:

No I'm wrong!:RollEyes: it was the latest Rapido, Know anyone that bought one recently?:Laughing:

4. stcyr

stcyr Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

No one is that daft are they?

• Like Like x 1
  6. stcyr

stcyr Funster

We must be eccentrics then, lol, she's doing us fine :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Eccentrics! I have looked at your photos and would say you had a death wish. You've been to Bulgaria and Iran, and as if that is not enough you went to Wales!!!!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If you wanna do lonely owner try and find another Miller States Alabama

Its a 2007 and we have NEVER seen another ( and believe me, we look all the time and all over Europe ! )

• Like Like x 1
  9. stcyr

stcyr Funster

and India, Greece, Turkey et al :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. aba

aba

dont know why but for some reason Dethleffs motorhomes don't seem to be as as popular as other makes in this country.
    we are quite happy with ours although sometimes i wish it was a little bit bigger:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

Well, although we are looking for a replacement motorhome (see my thread elsewhere), we do love our '94 coachbuilt Globetrotter. We've seen a couple of similar older Dethleffs vans to ours at shows, but no A class ones.

And fighting my way through the manual has increased my German vocabulary no end! :BigGrin:

Steve

• Like Like x 2
  12. stcyr

stcyr Funster

We live fulltime in ours and she's perfect for our needs. Haven't got a manual but she's the same as friend's Hymer (naturally, being part of the Hymer group) and all electrics/heating/plumbing/mechanicals are identical ... So far she's only done about 58000 miles and is still virtually as new inside and out. Only downside is she probably wouldn't cope with desert conditions as well as the old Merc 608 did! But no matter, current travels only cover Europe :Sad:.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JayDee

JayDee Funster

We have a Dethleffs Globetrotter Advantage Elegance A Class of 2006 vintage.:thumb:

We think it's PDG.

We haven't been to Iran :)Eek!:) but we have visited Cornwall in it, and Wales come to think of it and Scotland, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Italy, Luxembourg. But we haven't been to Norfolk.:Doh:

John

• Like Like x 2
  14. stcyr

stcyr Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: Nice one!! :thumb:

15. aba

aba

incidentally have any of you with Dethleffs motorhomes joined the Dethleffs Owners Club????

i haven't yet but have thought about it once or twice.

any thoughts???

• Like Like x 1
  16. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

Yes, I joined the club, but didn't really do much with it, and forgot to renew my membership this year. :Doh:

Apparently they have a very good parts finding service and run a well-attended annual jaunt to the Dethleffs factory where they can put up in the car park there with EHU, etc. I believe they also have a stash of manuals (mostly in German) that they'll send out for free if you're a member. Don't quote me on this though, cos I might be wrong!

Part of the problem we have with looking for a replacement for our Globetrotter is that the build quality is obviously so good (18 years and not much to show in terms of wear and tear) that we're wary about the quality of the sort of newer van we could actually afford...

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  17. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Yes, thought about joining the Dethleffs club - haven't got round to it yet though ...

We were looking for a MH for about 2 years to replace old 'Alice' the faithful Merc 608 only because she would've been impossible to re-register in France. We spent many hours at a local dealer inspecting all makes and models, new and old during those two years - the owner thought we were just wasting time but always made us welcome...

All the more recent MHs didn't appeal for various reasons. The main one being the flimsiness and plasticky finish - we'd long hankered after a Hymer. And none of the interior layouts really appealed. Reading various forums/reports etc. didn't inspire confidence either quality-wise.

Anyway, on one of our visits we were feeling the usual disappointment clambering in and out of every MH on site when we saw 'Delyth'. Didn't bother with reg.year etc., climbed in and immediately thought 'this is ideal'.

This dealer's policy is to only buy in post 95 MHs but as he said, this one was so tidy he'd agreed to sell for the owner.

Got her with new mot, new cambelt, full hab.service, full mech.service etc., and six month warranty. The warranty was fully comprehensive covering absolutely everything right down to the fridge seals etc.

Haven't had the slightest problem with her so far (touch wood!) - famous last words :BigGrin:.

Having lived in her fulltime we find she's certainly lived up to expectations quality-wise and feel it'd be difficult to find a more recent MH to match her - for our purposes anyway :thumb:

18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If you ask really nicely I will speak to the farmer on the gate and tell him to let you in

• Like Like x 3
  19. aba

aba

in that case keep the one you have and fit a tow bar and get a small trailer or if the rear overhang isn't excessive a rear box.

that way it costs you a very small amount and you keep the one you know.

• Like Like x 1