Underslung tank fitting problems

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Brakers, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Brakers

Brakers Funster Life Member

Hi Everybody I wanted an under slung tank fitted but have searched around in my neck of the woods I can't seem to find anyone who can fit one, then today a guy from Northampton said he could but looking at the measurements of my chassis I'm not sure he will be able to get a 60Ltr one on my van and to go any lower I might as well go for Gasit or Gaslow system.

So if this chap does say he can fit one he works 170miles away from me so I'm not sure I want to travel that distance just to get a tank fitted as the fuel costs will be quite large.

Anyway going on to Gasit or Gaslow does anybody know of a user refillable system which can supply the 13kg bottles or are they all 11kg or 6kg I can't seem to find any but hopeing someone knows of a company who supply the 13kg user refellable bottles.

I have also seen these adapters online which allow you to fill a standard bottle, Is this illegal or what.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LPG-Gas-B...4f1f265&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=301980574652

Seems quite a cheap way of filling your bottles up without paying for Gasit or Gaslow.

Has anybody used these, any comments will be much appreciated.
    Many Thanks Tony

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Hi Tony

Firstly refilling of exchange cylinder is NOT allowed by the 'owners' of the cylinders, eg Calor etc. It is also dangerous to do so as they have no 80% cut off valve so you could easily overfill and that could be quite disasterous so I'd stay well clear of the adaptors!

Refillable cylinders supplied by Gaslow and Gasit are normally 6kg or 11kg, however Gasit do a 14kg one and a 21kg one too but they may not fit in your gas locker and even if they did, if you change your MH in the future they may NOT go in so could be an expensive mistake.

Back to having a fixed underslung tank - 60lt is quite large so I think you are wise to be cautious about travelling such a distance without knowing for sure that one can be fitted.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Have a word with @Techno or supermearcat according to his avatar :Das he fitted one to his Moho.(y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Alugas do 14kg cylinders, I have them in my van same diameter as 11kg cylinders but 90mm higher.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Viennese

Viennese Funster

I had a 20 litre Gasit tank underneath my van when i bought it and have just replaced it with a 25 litre one by Northants Motorhome Services - is that the place you are thinking of? He is an approved Gasit fitter, and the nearest to me (in Oxford). I did find a list of their approved fitters and am sure I saw one nearer to you, maybe Winchester?? But I can't find the list now. I have a Panel van conversion and did this on the recommendation of owners with the same van. 60 litres seems a lot to carry - don't forget the weight issue...60 kilos of your payload??

• Like Like x 1
  6. busby

busby Funster

You won't overfill if the bottle is empty and you know how many litres is 80% of the bottles capacity. I have used one for three years now. BUSBY..

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Brakers

Hi viennese thanks for the info, I might be mistaken but I think 60ltrs is only 30kg 24kg at 80% not much more than 2 x 13kg bottles I'll wait in antisipation of people shooting me down with my maths.
    The guy in question is Ian and comes form motorhometech.co.uk he seems quite helpfull, I'm waiting for his reply to the measurements I sent him earlier today, but I'm not that hopefull.
    That is why I'm looking into fitting a Gasit or something else.
    Oxford is a bit nearer than my chap if you can find the list it would be most helpfull especially if it's near Winchester.
    Many Thanks Tony

8. Brakers

Hi Busby Thanks for that, have you ever been aproched by the service station staff and asked to stop filling your bottles?
    best Wishes Tony

9. Brakers

Also Busby do you fill one bottle up and then take the hose off and fill another one or do you just fill one bottle up per visit to make it as unnoticable as possible.
    Many Thanks Tony

10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If you want to risk it that's up to you and maybe you are more careful than others but I am careful and I certainly would not do this - if you have some gas/lpg left in the bottle you are asking for trouble IMV.

Where do YOU fill up and how many litres would you say you've got through in that time?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brakers

Hi Minxy
    You are totally correct, but it anoys the pants off me that calor do not do a user refillable bottle with a 80% cut of and why are the Gaslow and Gasit so expensive if you want to get a Calor bottle even if you have not got one it does not cost you anywhere near what a Gaslow or Gasit costs.
    I do realize that the Calor bottle is never actually yours, I understand you are renting it from Calor under contract, perhaps that is where the difference is.

Busby is correct in saying if you fill a totally empty bottle up and know what 80% is then as long as you don't go over that it should be OK, again these companies are protecting us from the idiots who will fill the bottle to it's full capacity.

Let me state I'm not an idiot, although some would argue that one. LOL

Thanks for your input Minxy all responses are welcomed. I always say two heads are better that one except when your tossing coin. LOL
    Best Wishes Tony

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Whitebirdyman

Whitebirdyman Funster

I
    I have seen several threads on Fun where people have reported that they have problems trying to refil an empty Gaslow cylinder when it turns out that the cylinder was not empty at all but the regulator was faulty. I suppose you could weigh the cylinder to check it was empty or see if any will come out once it is disconnected, but it still sounds a bit risky to me. However, I am a fairly risk averse person so I would not do it and I would prefer not to be at the same filling station while you were doing it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I gave 2 x 14kg alugas. Went to autogas2000 in Thirsk. Could only fit a smaller undertank so went for the above instead. It might be a distance but book yourself in to see them.they have everything in stock and will let you know your options. You can park overnight, and make a trip of it. Whitby not far and several other places to visit along the coast. .and it will be a safe fitting as well.
    I am led to believe that calor check all their returned bottles before refilling.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. jezport

jezport Funster

If you shake or turn over a gas bottle you can tell if there is gas in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Viennese

Viennese Funster

And you can park up at my nephew's pub, the King's Arms in nearby Sandhutton, where the food is fantastic!

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Viennese

Viennese Funster

HI Tony
    I phoned Gasit on your behalf and there are 2 approved fitters nearer you - KLF Automotive in Basingstoke, and Essanjay in Poole. Hope this helps.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Whitebirdyman

Whitebirdyman Funster

Agreed, that is similar to weighing or venting as I was suggesting as a safety precaution.

Actually the two big attractions of Gaslow etc to me are [1] you do not have to keep taking the cylinder out of the gas locker and [2] I can put more gas in when it is still partially full, thus doing it at my convenience.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Agreed. (y)

19. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Filllpg.co.uk
    Really useful app for your phone

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

I have a 55 litre tank fitted by Autogas2000. They seem to fit that size to most MH, and had no problems fitting it to my AlKo chassised Bailey.

• Like Like x 1