Underseal

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by coldstreamer, Feb 27, 2012.

1. coldstreamer

coldstreamer Funster

Hi,
    Looking to get my 2002 Hymer undersealed, found this company in Morpeth http://www.thewaxworks.net/index.html
    I wonder if any of our members have used them, or reports.?
    Their web site seems very Pro. and its not a bad distance to travel for me in the North.
    Best Regards Mac

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Hi Mac

We are considering attacking ours with the Waxoil at some point. We like it so much, we want it to last!

Not had any experience of who you mention Coldstreamer, but i'm sure they'll do a GLEAMING job!

-Jon

Ex 1CLDM GDS LAD REME.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. coldstreamer

coldstreamer Funster

Buttons in Two's

Hi Jon,
    Nice to see a Nuli Secundus on the Board, I was I Coy, Ist, many many years ago, but still manage to get to Blk-Wkend.
    Best Regards, Stay Safe, Mac

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Waxoyl is a superb product, which when applied properly will save you money and heartache later. The process isnt high tech, so even an amature could do it in a couple of hours. It can however be messy, as the waxoyl is sprayed on using a hand pumped cylinder (diy) or a compressor fed spray lance. Have done it myself on previous motorhomes and new cars.

Anyway, the company website looks good and I like the idea of free annual inspections and top ups. Cost wise, I guess your paying for convenience as the product used will cost under £50 for a motorhome

one bit of advice is dont sleep in the van for a good few days after waxoyling, as it stinks and gives you a headache. Speaking from personal experience there

5. coldstreamer

coldstreamer Funster

Thanks Big Yin,
    Access is my problem for DIY, although I have the van parked on my own rear drive, access is tight. I was most concerned about sea air and its corrosive effect, living very close to the North Sea takes its toll on all our transport. I take your point about fumes, the company also stress this.
    It appears getting booked in the spring is a problem, they only do one job each day. Did you also notice from their Site, its VAT free due to the way the company is registered. I think I'm going to 'Bite The Bullet' and get in done.
    Best Regards, Mac

6. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Just one point, they say they are a small company and hence VAT free, 20% saving etc.

Of course not being VAT registered means they cannot claim back any VAT on product so they are charging you their product costs including the VAT that they can't claim back so it isn't quite as good as it may first appear.

I do rate the product though.......excellent........Griff

7. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

Mac
    please post a feed back about this outfit after you had yours done I am interested in having mine done also.
    regards

8. bmb1uk

bmb1uk Read Only Funster

and hi from another 1st coldm gds 2coy/ signals pltn :thumb:

9. coldstreamer

coldstreamer Funster

BMB1,
    This is great, another half-doz and we could do a 'Buck' or at least a 'Jimmies'. I'm also 1st. Pioneers and 1Coy. a 'Boro' Boy, V/P of the Association, and Web Master.
    Two other 'Brothers' with Campers from Hull are also Members.
    Nulli Secundus, Mac

10. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Pull up a sand bag and swing the lamp boys. :Laughing:

Cheers,

Jock (ex Brylcreem Boy) :Wink:

11. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Thanks for the heads up on that Coldstreamer. We had our chassis rear extension welded last autumn and were looking at places to get the whole vehicle underside waxoiled. The repaired section was treated with black underseal made by Waxoil as was our gas tank at Autogas2000.

I know it can be done DIY, but at our age we don't want to be doing that. I am sure the owners of the sites we use would not welcome us messing up their pitch with waxoil.

We looked at a couple of firms in MMM but they are in the deep south. Which is a long way from the North East.

In the late 70s a friend set up doing waxoils in county Durham but no longer is in that business.

John

12. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

Ive used Waxoyl on many old VW`s in the past and found it to be a very good product.Ive always done the job myself,just buy some plastic sheeting to protect your driveway,a boiler suit ,protective goggles,pair of marigolds and an old bobble hat.Your`ll still be ££££££ in if you throw it all away after.Just to make life easier warm the Waxol and use the clear Waxoly as you can see if anything is going on ,Rust.