Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
We are based in Spain and will be doing a UK tour June and July. Initial part sorted as visiting Family etc, but will hope to Travel from South Wales to Aberdeen via west coast and return to Harwich via west coast, we are members of the Camping and Caravan club and will be using a mixture of their sites and CLs. Can anyone recommend stopovers for specifically LIVERPOOL, BLACKPOOL, EDINBURGH and YORK that are convenient and near Public transport ideally trains.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Sorry unable to help We are from mid Wales .someone will come along.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Sorry unable to help We are from mid Wales .someone will come along.

Perhaps instead you could pass on some little gems in mid Wales..We will be coming over from France for 2 weeks at the end of April and will spend at least 1 week touring in Wales..

Many thanks and apologies for hijacking!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
For Edinburgh we always use this site http://www.linwater.co.uk/

It's a fairly quick drive to the park and ride that gives access to the tram direct to the city centre. Day pass on the tram is I think £8, parking is free, so you can go to and fro as much as you like.

Some nice walks from the site into East Calder too.

Sorry can't help on the other locations.

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
your trying to do a lot in two weeks, cant see what there of interest in South Wales or Liverpool, N.W Wales yes very nice Edinburgh I have only been there once and that was to the Fringe Festival, Blackpool is a dump I would not waste my time on it, lots of nice places to see Stratford upon Avon, Snowdon Mountings, as for Trains they are expensive your better off driving in most places, chose you short time with care, places like Llechwedd Slate Caverns Betws-y-coed, Snowdonia very interesting I can recommend that, nice beaches in the N.W and lots of free parking if you look for it, being well travelled all over the U.K if you message me I give you tips that I know of.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
For York there is a site at Rowntrees Park which is virtually in York, I don't know if it is C and C or C and CC. Also an adults only site at the Lysander Arms, which has a good internet advertisement that tells you all you need to know about the place.
Hope this is of some use.
Norman.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
The CC have sites at York Rowntree & Edingburgh both easy to get into the city centres, York especially as you can walk in
Wirral country park another CC, easy enough to get into Liverpool
Not sure about Blackpool but just down the coast is the CC site at Southport, you can walk into the town in 5mins and imo a nicer town and probably easy to get into Blackpool on the train

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
You'll have a job getting into Rowntree Park in York unless you phone at the last minute and hope for a cancellation.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
As a member of the c.c.club you could use the temp hop site at the York cricket and r.u.f.c site. Its on the main bus route into York and a 20 min walk along the river. Site open June 30 to Aug 29. No need to book YO30 5RE. £8 phone 07779955820. Or 07815423148.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Mortonhall in Edinburgh has a bus stop right outside. If you are traveling down the West coast of Scotland don't miss the south-west, it's really nice here.

OP
OP
MickyP

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
Thank you for the replies so far I am in the Camping and Caravanning Club but not the Caravan Club seems they are better located for my visit?

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Temp hol sites are camping and caravan sites so these might be OK for you.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
C&CC have a farm cl adjacent to Rainford Junction Railway Station. Trains into Liverpool and Manchester. Good food and real ale pub nearby.

OP
OP
MickyP

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
your trying to do a lot in two weeks, cant see what there of interest in South Wales or Liverpool, N.W Wales yes very nice Edinburgh I have only been there once and that was to the Fringe Festival, Blackpool is a dump I would not waste my time on it, lots of nice places to see Stratford upon Avon, Snowdon Mountings, as for Trains they are expensive your better off driving in most places, chose you short time with care, places like Llechwedd Slate Caverns Betws-y-coed, Snowdonia very interesting I can recommend that, nice beaches in the N.W and lots of free parking if you look for it, being well travelled all over the U.K if you message me I give you tips that I know of.
I am visiting Family in S Wales we have done North Wales and Stratford but need to tick a few more boxes Wife has Scottish connections and has never been there I have travelled UK extensively worked on Railway and get free Rail Travel.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thank you for the replies so far I am in the Camping and Caravanning Club but not the Caravan Club seems they are better located for my visit?

you did quote CL's though, which are CC members only, I think C + CC call theirs CS's

best shower block ever Grantown on Spey, technically CC but anybody welcome I think for same price

C + CC site at Inverewe great location

Ardmair north of Ullapool, private site, nice location

lots of options for free parking if you want, especially borders area, lots of car parks allow overnighting

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
We are based in Spain and will be doing a UK tour June and July. Initial part sorted as visiting Family etc, but will hope to Travel from South Wales to Aberdeen via west coast and return to Harwich via west coast, we are members of the Camping and Caravan club and will be using a mixture of their sites and CLs. Can anyone recommend stopovers for specifically LIVERPOOL, BLACKPOOL, EDINBURGH and YORK that are convenient and near Public transport ideally trains.

Blackpool is very motorhome friendly. Check the council's website for car parks allowing overnighting and they have one (maybe more) aires.
We went during the illuminations on our way home from the Lakes. We stayed at the lytham st annes car park that had set out parking for MOHOs right by the beach behind the swimming pool. We thought it would be quieter than the blackpool end. The couple near us in another van said a bus goes from there into town.

I believe the Caravan club (now renamed caravan and motorhome club) has a site that is a very easy walk into york. But their sites get so booked up. Worth ringing site direct and seeing if they operate a waiting list like they do at Bristol

Afraid i dont know about Edinburgh or Liverpool.
Good luck!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back