Uk sites with nearby safe cycling (1 Viewer)

Nov 21, 2016
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
We use our bikes when travelling France and Spain where there are safe paths for short rides ( up to 30 km ) on moderately flat routes.
It is easier than walking as our pins are not as young now
Are there any recommended uk sites near safe cycle routes, ( not mountain bike trails ) maybe near canal paths where a gentle bike ride is possible. Even better if there is a pub stop or cafe on the route.
Thanks for any recommendations

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Bath Marina old railway track now tarmacked can cycle to Bath or Bristol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Rutland Water has a very nice cycle track around it.

Full Rutland Water lap – 23 miles (including the Peninsula) 17 miles (excluding Peninsula).. a bit of climbing but not to bad, easy on electric bikes, we've done it on electric and 'normal' bikes.

There are a few campsites nearby, including of course Lyndon Top.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Pentewan Trail (part of national cycle route 3) between St Austell & Mevagissey incorporates Lost Gardens of Eden, couple of decent pubs & cafes at Pentewan, cafe at London Apprentice. Campsites on the route - Pentewan Sands, Little Winnick, Meadow Campsite (Adults only), River Valley Holiday Park & Sun Valley Holiday Park.

Another good one in Cornwall is the Camel Trail (Padstow to Bodmin), camp at Dennis Cove Campsite, Padstow. Borough Arms in Bodmin is a nice enough pub on the trail.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Derbyshire Peak District has lots of safe cycling on former railway lines.
High peak trail, monsal trail, tissington trail and manifold trail to name a few.
Stunning countryside and lots of reasonable campsites

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
The New Forest is a great area for cycling. Numerous forest tracks. Usually fine gravel services. Traffic free. With the occasional pub and cafe for sustenanc. We have only been once but already planned a return trip. Good cycling map available at usual outlets.

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Tarka Trail in Devon, plenty of campsites in and around. Braunton to Meeth is a 30 mile trail one way. Plenty of places to stop and turnaround etc. Fremington Quay has lovely cafe and others along the way. Cycling is pretty steady for all abilities.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years

Situated in Bute Park, there are a few pubs within walking distance.

Site is on the Taff Trail;

You can go north to Castell Coch

Well signposted route, mostly tarmac and off road, last hill up to the castle is daunting bt oly 300 mtrs.

You can go south to Cardiff Bay;

More road work here, but you could take a Water Taxi;

Easy, flat walk into Cardiff City Centre.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Harrogate Showground Campsite has bike trails from the site. You can cycle into Harrogate or Knaresborough from here although once you get close to the town centres the cycle paths end and you might prefer to walk the last half a mile or so if you're not happy cycling on the main roads into Harrogate. But for Knaresborough (beautiful town) you can get right down to the Riverside road where there are pubs, cafes and restaurants. This route does involve a couple of short hills though.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Pembrey country park
Brecon and Monmouth canal

Pubs cafes and campsites on along both

OP
OP
D
Nov 21, 2016
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
We use our bikes when travelling France and Spain where there are safe paths for short rides ( up to 30 km ) on moderately flat routes.
Are there any recommended uk sites near safe cycle routes, ( not mountain bike trails ) maybe near canal paths where a gentle bike ride is possible. Even better if there is a pub stop or cafe on the route.
Many thanks to everyone’s suggestions, I will try to visit each of the routes in the next year or so

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Derbyshire Peak District has lots of safe cycling on former railway lines.
High peak trail, monsal trail, tissington trail and manifold trail to name a few.
Stunning countryside and lots of reasonable campsites

I was going to mention the Monsal trail. A lovely bike ride, couple of cafes/pubs on route, a number of campsites nearby and some beautiful peak district towns to explore too.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Here's a slightly leftfield suggestion.

There is a campsite next to Gullivers world in Milton Keynes. It's near the Grand Union canal and had excelllent surfaced paths along it for quite a few miles going south and going north.

On top of that you have Milton Keynes excellent network or paths called 'redways' across the city. They are cycle/pedestrian paths, mostly away from the roads will take to and through miles and miles of beautiful linear parks. In addition you have the beautiful and historic market towns of Stoney Stratford and Newport Pagnell within Milton Keynes plus a number of other pretty villages.

(whoops - I have let slip the hidden gem that is Milton Keynes. We usually describe it as the city of concrete cows and roundabouts to put people off coming here!)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Here's a slightly leftfield suggestion.

There is a campsite next to Gullivers world in Milton Keynes. It's near the Grand Union canal and had excelllent surfaced paths along it for quite a few miles going south and going north.

On top of that you have Milton Keynes excellent network or paths called 'redways' across the city. They are cycle/pedestrian paths, mostly away from the roads will take to and through miles and miles of beautiful linear parks. In addition you have the beautiful and historic market towns of Stoney Stratford and Newport Pagnell within Milton Keynes plus a number of other pretty villages.

(whoops - I have let slip the hidden gem that is Milton Keynes. We usually describe it as the city of concrete cows and roundabouts to put people off coming here!)
I have had to visit there on business a number of times and loads of green spaces , however have NEVER managed to find the required location first time every time I visited need therapy after never been there with a satnav its like Lile to me just will not compute intomy mind. Maybe visiting with the bike would help But I be afraid I never find the van again :rofl:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Ashton Hall caravan park next to Lancaster golf club, out the back onto the lune valley trail which goes for miles, opposite way to Glasson dock, go onto the Lancaster canal for bike rides, plenty of watering holes to stop at.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years

Yes very nice it was. I used it as it was the closest I could get for a visit to Bletchley Park.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Alton Water in this part of the world. You can cycle all the way round. Also viable to cycle down to Shortly where if you want, you can take bikes on the Ferry to Felixstowe or Harwich.

http://www.forestcamping.co.uk/#aboutFurther up the county, and shut for this season is Tangham forest camping. Right next door to the UFO trail in Rendleham Forest.

NR

Jun 30, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2019
Ferry Meadows, Peterborough is a great venue for your requirements.

Ferry Meadows Caravan Club Site​

Caravan And Motorhome Club site - Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, England, United Kingdom, PE2 5UU

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Pentewan Trail (part of national cycle route 3) between St Austell & Mevagissey incorporates Lost Gardens of Eden, couple of decent pubs & cafes at Pentewan, cafe at London Apprentice. Campsites on the route - Pentewan Sands, Little Winnick, Meadow Campsite (Adults only), River Valley Holiday Park & Sun Valley Holiday Park.
Edit… whoops, meant to say Lost Gardens of Heligan, although Eden Project could easily be included in the same area.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
I have had to visit there on business a number of times and loads of green spaces , however have NEVER managed to find the required location first time every time I visited need therapy after never been there with a satnav its like Lile to me just will not compute intomy mind. Maybe visiting with the bike would help But I be afraid I never find the van again :rofl:
It's amazing the number of times I have heard this over the years, as if it is unique to Milton Keynes. Go to any town or city you are not familiar with and you will have the same problem, but because MK have round abouts it's a morse serious issue.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
It's amazing the number of times I have heard this over the years, as if it is unique to Milton Keynes. Go to any town or city you are not familiar with and you will have the same problem, but because MK have round abouts it's a morse serious issue.
Nope, Paris Venice Rome London Edinburgh amongst others only need to go to a specific location once and can return easily . MK and Lille will not settle in my brain . I don't know why. Lille I go to the train station and then can continue from there. To find the business premises in MK once I found the BP garage I could continue from there.
I have no idea why these 2 cites/towns will not implant into my memory as other have.

I am sure there may be others that will be similar but if I ever return to either I hope satnav may be helpful

Dec 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
Try Diamond House CL, a few hundreds yards from The Water Railway flat, tarmac path that runs into the centre of Lincoln and to Woodall Spa in the other direction.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Having an elderly muttly we try and find fairly level walks like railways. As others said Derbyshire is good for railway walks but recently we have found canal walks are doable.
Recently we have stayed at a couple of canal side pubs as found in search for sites or Brit stops.
I like the canal and railway walks for the history.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Peak district as has been said..... the Cycling UK website shows some long distance routes where you can cycle some loop routes and most are on quiet roads or tracks.... Reservoirs also off great off road routes

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Stratford racecourse has old railway line and flat roads next door.
Chester racecourse also has a river side cycle track that you then turn off and follow an old railway line back to town. Even caught a tidal bore coming up the River Dee last year!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back