jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I emailed them again yesterday mentioning issues with boy racers and other things we noticed overnight. I sent this email to the councils more general email address, so I will see if I hear anything.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I've just had a reply that my email will be sent to the correct department and I will have a reply in around 10 days.

Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Excellent thread - it has prompted me to send off a note to my local council (West Berkshire) quoting the pro-active attitude of Torridge & Weymouth councils - areas where there are also plenty of campsites. Here - the home of Newbury Racecourse & Downton Abbey, there are very few campsites , and no motorhome parking - shameful. I also pointed them to Graham's great motorhome parking site.

[HI]Let's see how we get on!
[/HI]

Well - that was a waste of time! Despite being a motorhome owner (Autotrail he tells me), their Parking Manager replied saying I appreciate that those areas with a high influx of tourists will seek to provide motorhome parking, but I regret that there are no plans at this time to provide motorhome parking facilities in West Berkshire.

Sorry guys .....:thumbdown:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[/HI]

Well - that was a waste of time! Despite being a motorhome owner (Autotrail he tells me), their Parking Manager replied saying I appreciate that those areas with a high influx of tourists will seek to provide motorhome parking, but I regret that there are no plans at this time to provide motorhome parking facilities in West Berkshire.

Sorry guys .....:thumbdown:

He's right about the tourist areas. There are scores of councils in the UK which receive very few communications about motorhome parking, purely because they are not attractive to those of us who drive them.

Also, however much we desire off-street parking places, we have to appreciate the difficulties that local authorities face in balancing competing demands (especially where one of those demands is low volume) and the fact that many car parks were designed/built many years ago for vehicles which are lighter and smaller than our vans are. In many of our towns and cities, car parks are designed with commuters and shoppers in mind as they tend to be, by far, the largest demand groups.

Where off-street motorhome parking is not available we really depend on local residents identifying appropriate places where it could be. For instance, is there a coach/lorry park or a car park with in-line bays which tends to be empty much of the time? If such a place can be identified then said residents could build a case for rules to be relaxed, even if the TRO is not changed.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
The law in France may well be different, the issue is the travellers in the UK know what they can do , the councils have appointed no end of Liaison officers to assist them with their rights. The difference in France is the travellers in France know not to mess with the French authorities. Look at any official ‘traveller’ site in France, very tidy, they usually have a brick building etc.
Bottom line is this, the UK law allows people to push the boundaries and those in the know, will do this time and time again, they claim that one of their own is ill and that opens a can of worms, combined with the do-gooders and the abuse the HRA and anything else they can.

In France there are two distinct different type of traveller . There are sites which are horrible , filthy and unkept but there are more who are spotless and often buy ground even in towns and build chalets and gravel the whole plot etc and park their caravans when not travelling. They work and at certain times of the year the caravans disappear as they are off working . Usually pruning vines, picking fruit etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back