UK Aires

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jezport, Jan 26, 2014.

1. jezport

jezport Funster

A lot of you will have read about the Scarborough motorhome parking ban. Lots of councils across the country are doing similar.

Now if motorhome manufacturers or dealers were to sponsor alterations to land or carparks to convert them to some kind of aire they could advertise as part of the deal, but in creating the aire they are likely to attract more people into motorhoming and increase the market.

Unlikely that we will ever see a network of Aires but wouldn't it be good if a few could be created this way.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Most towns have the same attitude as where I live. They want money from tourism but they'd rather you posted it to them!

• Like Like x 13
  3. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

Our local council Torridge after some discussion now allowing overnighting in Appledore, Bideford, Torrington, Holsworthy and Westward Ho. 6pm till 10am £5 per night per bay pay at the meter. The next idea is to get them to provide a service point which may take some time! But we have a start

• Like Like x 23
  4. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

You could wait a very long time before Britain has anything like what they've already got abroad. In the meantime all my holiday cash will be spent in the Eurozone. Small wonder you hardly see any foreign motorhomes on English roads.

• Like Like x 5
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Can you imagine the pitches Swift would make ?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Lord Mac

Lord Mac Funster

I think that biggest fear for most counciles is that these aires would be taken over by the 'travelling communities'

• Like Like x 4
  7. maz

maz Funster

At least they'd have running water. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  8. jezport

jezport Funster

How do they deal with this in Europe?

9. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

The Mother In Law likes to go back to Walton On The Naze about once a month, to see where she used to live and to visit her late husbands grave. At 86 she struggles to drive so far, so we take her - it's nice to take the motorhome, and have a relax and cup of tea. And, in these winter months, she can sit in the back and watch the sea etc

There are (small) signs up stating motorhomists will summarily executed (or words to the effect). I emailed Tendering Council asking for confirmation that by parking anywhere in their area I was the scum of the earth and could expect the Horsemen of the Apocalypse to knock on my door soon as. Their reply seems that I am, and could indeed expect some kind of retribution.
    Cliff Parade, mentioned in the email to me from Tendering Council is approx 5-600 metres long. In the winters months - you'll be able to count the number of parked cars on one hand.
    So, suffice to say, I'm disappointing with the response from the council.

"Hello Mr xxxxxxxxx,

Parking along Cliff Parade, Walton-On-The-Naze is not permitted as all available parking along the seafront is controlled and enforced by the North Essex Parking Partnership and has restrictions on campervans, etc. parking along the seafront. The only place we can suggest is Station Road car park which is operated by Tendring District Council which requires a pay and display ticket. We would need you to contact ourselves however before parking here so we can make the enforcement officers aware, also providing your motorhome can fit into a parking bay in this car park. I must confirm that sleeping overnight in the campervans whilst parked in the Tendring District Council car park is not permitted.

Every time you want to park along here you will need to contact parking and seafronts giving us your registration number.

If we can be of anymore assistant please feel free to contact parking and seafronts on the below contact details.

Many thanks,
    <name removed to protect the unreasonable>

:Angry:

10. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

They turn all the services off and let the Romanies take over. The last one I was on in France they'd even removed the barrier arm and cling filmed the pillar!

11. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Whoops, slow wiffy again

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  12. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Simple, they force them to move at gunpoint if needed, whereas we have to wait for a court summond to be issued against Mr Gligmaglog of no fixed abode- by which time they are gone.

• Like Like x 2
  13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

what rubbish you talk . there are special sites set up.,really nice for the travelling folk . there is a name for them but my mind is lost .
    aires were set up in france to keep a control on the motor homers . years ago tents were the french holiday house . later m,homes gave total freedom . due to the mess they created the french government and the french m,home clubs ,manufacturers set up a l;ist of aires .
    unfortunately the french when in other countries revert back to the pre aire days and spoil it for all. mind the germans and the uk m,homers also have parties blocking pavements etc .
    when will they learn . this year in pain i have seen the worst winter in my life of m,home ers abusing the parking areas . its a real disgrace.

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes, why not? Have you contacted any motorhome manufacturers or dealers about this idea? What were their responses?

Can you post the arguments you used to try to persuade them? I ask as the same arguments might possibly be used by others with their local councils. As jemhorn mentioned, Torridge have been persuaded because somebody took the trouble to work provide them with positive arguments.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jezport

jezport Funster

Graham, This idea just came to my mind yesterday so nothing has been done. Seeing as you seem to always have great interest and have all the answers to everything mentioned on this subject I think you are the man to do this. Please keep us informed on how you go.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Now there's a surprise. It's always the same isn't it? When it comes down to it, it's always somebody else who is expected to put the effort in - in this case manufacturers/dealers to put up the money and somebody else to persuade them to do it.

The thing is, though, I have no interest in half baked ideas like this one, let alone a "great interest". My interest is in promoting constructive projects by people who are prepared to put the effort in - as with the success at Guisborough (it was no fault of those of use involved that people didn't use it).

My views are openly published Here and anyone else is welcome to show me how wrong I am. I won't hold my breath though.

17. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

[​IMG]

18. jezport

jezport Funster

Sorry if I misunderstood that you were interested in this subject. I thought you were interested because you added lots of posts to the Scarborough thread.
    I will mention this idea to Andy Strangeway and see if he is interested in doing something. I had the idea but unfortunately don't have enough time to proceed with it.

19. gloworm

gloworm Funster

NO

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The reason I posted on the Scarborough thread is because silly stunts like that do us no good at all. All they do is provide more ammunition for the anti-motorhome brigade.

If people really want to achieve something they have to work constructively with local authorities and other organisations, showing them there is an advantage to be gained by doing something. That is why, for instance, the number of LAs now posting MH parking details on their web sites has doubled since August.

• Like Like x 1