Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
OK so ive just discovered that one of my rear tyres has some small cracking in it , then in a quest to find the date of the tyre i think i have found it in the form of "0005604" if this is the DOM then that makes them week 56 2004 is that correct ? ( Well w8 how can it be when there are only 52 weeks in a year ) ...... ( the MH is 2007 )
We are due to go away in 1 weeks time for our first outing in it for over 2 weeks.
I have a few questions
My tyres are as follows : Michelin 215/70 R15 cp 109Q @80psi XC Camping
Are these the same tyres ? : https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/search/details/michelin/agilis-camping/t1006987
Also i still have to take my MH to the weighbridge to check its weight , if the weight is over 3500kg and i then have to think about up rating the MH to a higher weight , will it need different tyres then.
Last question how dangerous does minor cracking make the tyre , ( i guess any cracking is mega bad ?? )

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
If your tyres are the originals fitted & for arguments sake are 2007 vintage, irrespective of mileage, at 9 years old are well past the limit of their life - timewise.

Due to low mileages covered by some MH's it's possible that a 9 year old tyre can have plenty of tread left, but it's the non use that causes the tyre to slowly perish.

Cracking / cracked sidewalls often lead to catastrophic tyre failure, as opposed to a slow puncture.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Think you may have the wrong numbers there - should be in a box with just 4 numbers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Yip MH does have low mileage for its age 2007 with 12,000 miles
Are they the correct replacement tyres that i linked anyone know

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Think you may have the wrong numbers there - should be in a box with just 4 numbers

Yip , the date was on the inside wall of all the tyres, still they were dated 0407 , so changing the two rears this week, one of has slight cracking.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Bart,

Thanks to other Funsters on here I have discovered that if your wheels are 6J then the tyres can be uprated to 225 x 70 x 15. They are 112/110 which will give you more than the 2060 Kgs on the rear axle that you have at the moment.

Could I respectfully point out to you that it isn't necessary to get 'Camper Tyres'. You can run perfectly legally on 'Van' tyres. There's a plethora of postings on here about the why's and wherefore's of the two different types of tyre but at the end you can make your own mind up. I watch Merc Sprinters all the time carrying a lot of weight and not one of them is fitted with a Camping tyre.
The most important thing for your tyres is tyre pressure and, while you will get people saying that the Michelin tyre should be inflated to 80 psi this is not true for all tyres. That 80psi is the MAX for that tyre, not the 'go to' pressure for every tyre of that size.
I'm running on a van tyre at the moment and my tyre pressures are 54psi front and 65 rear. (The 65psi is the maximum for my make and type of tyre)

PS There's a world of difference in pricing between a Camping Tyre and a Van Tyre and I'm not convinced that the difference in price is justified. I've driven our 'van with both and I couldn't tell any difference in characteristics. Yes, I know the Camping Tyre supposedly has stiffer walls to lessen the impact on the vehicle being stood for long periods but ours doesn't sit on the drive for weeks on end so it makes no difference to us.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@Bart - yes the Agilis tyres look to match what you've got. If in doubt go to Kwik Fit and ask them for advice.
If you plan on uprating then it may well be that higher load rating tyres will be required. If you complete the online form at SVTech then they will tell you what your uprating options are - http://www.svtech.co.uk/vehicles/motorhomes/ - and complete their conversion form at http://www.svtech.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Conversion-Form-Motorhome.pdf
SVTech don't charge anything for identifying your options.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Bart,

Thanks to other Funsters on here I have discovered that if your wheels are 6J then the tyres can be uprated to 225 x 70 x 15. They are 112/110 which will give you more than the 2060 Kgs on the rear axle that you have at the moment.

Could I respectfully point out to you that it isn't necessary to get 'Camper Tyres'. You can run perfectly legally on 'Van' tyres. There's a plethora of postings on here about the why's and wherefore's of the two different types of tyre but at the end you can make your own mind up. I watch Merc Sprinters all the time carrying a lot of weight and not one of them is fitted with a Camping tyre.
The most important thing for your tyres is tyre pressure and, while you will get people saying that the Michelin tyre should be inflated to 80 psi this is not true for all tyres. That 80psi is the MAX for that tyre, not the 'go to' pressure for every tyre of that size.
I'm running on a van tyre at the moment and my tyre pressures are 54psi front and 65 rear. (The 65psi is the maximum for my make and type of tyre)

PS There's a world of difference in pricing between a Camping Tyre and a Van Tyre and I'm not convinced that the difference in price is justified. I've driven our 'van with both and I couldn't tell any difference in characteristics. Yes, I know the Camping Tyre supposedly has stiffer walls to lessen the impact on the vehicle being stood for long periods but ours doesn't sit on the drive for weeks on end so it makes no difference to us.

Thanks , i have read some other threads on the debates of normal tyres vs camping tyres , and i have decided this time anyway untill i get used to the MH's characteristics and how it drives etc , maybe when i change the fronts ill change them for normal van tyres.
I am a white van driver and it is usually weighed down with quite a bit of weight , and ofc it has normal tyres.

@Bart - yes the Agilis tyres look to match what you've got. If in doubt go to Kwik Fit and ask them for advice.
If you plan on uprating then it may well be that higher load rating tyres will be required. If you complete the online form at SVTech then they will tell you what your uprating options are - http://www.svtech.co.uk/vehicles/motorhomes/ - and complete their conversion form at http://www.svtech.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Conversion-Form-Motorhome.pdf
SVTech don't charge anything for identifying your options.

Thanks Bill , luckily enough i have now established atm i should not have to uprate , so i have went with 2 off the tyres i linked from kwikfit for the rear and they are getting fitted on Thursday , if in the future i need to uprate , ill stick them on the front and then get another new set of wider tyres for the rear.

Thanks

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Surprised that motorhomers are so concerned about their tyres - then ask Kiwik fit for advise?? (n) .Apologise in advance for upsetting anyone!!

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Surprised that motorhomers are so concerned about their tyres - then ask Kiwik fit for advise?? (n) .Apologise in advance for upsetting anyone!!
Whilst that CAN sometimes be true ,, ANY company is only as good as the person that you deal with. :)
If you get a well experienced employee who knows their salt , then you are in good hands

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
I don't doubt the fitters potential, it's the upper deck pressure on those fitters to manipulate cash flow by whaterver rule which is in their unwritten contract of employment. Obviously some fitters are proficient in this field. We'll what would anyone do with a gun to their heads ??:whistle:

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
SAdly that is the way more and more businesses are run these days,, you even go to the local pound shop and they are trying to sell you extras at the till.. its the same all over the place from business to business. :( :( :( :(

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ok so i went ahead and am in the process of getting the MH uprated to just 3850kg thus without needing any wider tyres or air suspension, so i am now going to change the other two original tyres that were still on the MH.
when i changed two of the tyres last July i changed them from the original Michelin 215/70 R15 cp 109Q XC Camping to https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/sear...0_1485703918_12f909f84d2057c042716f367cb61193
So shall i change the other two remaining original tyres to the Agilis camping as they were M&S tyres , or did i read that M&S tyres are not going to be accepted in some countries when there is snow and they would have to be proper Winter tyres.
If so then would i not be best just getting cheaper "White Van" tyres as not having the stronger side walls for the MH would not effect me as we are going to go full time in the MH.
My spare tyre will still be one of the original Michelin XC Camping which Does not show any signs of cracking.
opinions ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back