Tyres

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by iandsm, Jan 30, 2015.

1. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I have now reached the point of needing new tyres, I have Conti vanco camping tyres and they have been ok but the driving wheels do wear, they need replacement after 25000, so not too bad.

I have read that some people have Michelin Agillis camping tyres and I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on them, they are a little more expensive than the Contis but I wonder if they are better in terms of red and noise.?

2. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

I too need to replace my Continental Vancos so will follow this thread with interest. Thanks.

3. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Nirvanuak. I have been quoted £514.60 p for four Michelins fitted at my home address. They are not much dear and then the continentals which are priced at £120 each. That was from a "Etyres"

4. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

@ianandsm thanks for that. I take it that yours are something like this in size:

Attached Files:

5. iandsm

iandsm Funster

No mine are 215/70/15- 109 R, it may be that your being a little larger will be dearer but not much I wouldn't have thought try Etyres website.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Personally, I don' think you can go far wrong with Michelin camper tyres. I was very pleased I'd changed to them during unexpected/unusual weather in France, possibly because they are M+S. My previous tyres had plenty of tread but were useless on grass/snow.

Some report the Michelins as being noisy but I couldn't comment on that as I didn't notice a difference.

Paid £600 for 4 x 16" tyres about 3 years ago, if that gives you a rough idea.

• Like Like x 2
  7. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

North Devon tyres, Tiverton quoted me £310 for
    4x 185R14 -102 Michelin Agilis

• Like Like x 1
  8. iandsm

iandsm Funster

If anyone is interested, today I had fitted four Michelin Agilis CP tyres for £508. inc.
    The ride home was only about 15 miles but I thought the motorhome felt noticably more stable and it stuck to the road well in dirty rainy conditions, there was less road noise and I thought that the ride was quite a lot better with the bumps still audible but better absorbed and less shock seemed to come through to the interior. The Continentals these replaced were Fine and I don't criticise them apart from the front wearing quite bit over 20k miles. But on balance I prefer the Michelins.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Jaws on here, recommends Hancook and says they perform very well on his van and don't tend to spin when pulling away... Worth a good look I reckon !!

10. f6c

f6c Funster

Would agree with Jenny & Mitch(y)

11. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

@iandsm

Are they Summer or Winter tyres? I am in a similar situation (front now on 24000 miles)........

Ta

12. smithy184

smithy184 Funster

Interesting discussion. My Knaus currently has 255/55 R17 Conti's fitted and they are no longer available. My only option seems to be to replace both tyres and wheels to 16" rims with 225/75R16 tyres. Have been offered Contis at £700 for 4 and Hankook £400 f or 4. The wheels are £450 for the set so considering the Hankook route.

13. iandsm

iandsm Funster

They are marked M&S and Michelin say that they are suitable for occasional use in those conditions. They also comply with the regulations in Germany where M&S tyres are compulsory in the winter months

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brian_K

Brian_K Read Only Funster

15. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Good man, let us all know how they perform please !!?? £64 looks a good price to me !!

16. Brian_K

Will do, hope to have a run out this weekend. I had some fitted to a 4x4 a few years ago, those wore well and were very good in the wet.

Brian

17. maison

maison Funster

I switched my present M/H to Continental, from Michelin.

Having checked correct inflation pressures for my axle weight with Continental I found the ride to be less harsh than the Michelins. Road noise was about the same.

I don't know if the better ride was due to the tyre per se or was as a result of being able to run them at lower pressures than the Michelin.

Michelin tend to stick to supposing the rear axle is on maximum weight and recommend a higher pressure making the ride more "solid".

18. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Trial and error with tyre pressures for me.. Got 67 front and 74 rear at the mo and seems OK.. May just go up to 70 F and 75 R and try that.. (on Vanco's)

19. Brian_K

Can I ask what size tyres and vehicle that is with? I was thinking more like 60 rear 55 front with a 2004 AS Symbol. But I agree, trial and error is as good a method as any, just need a good starting point.

Brian

20. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I had 62 front and 76 rear in my Continentals (215/70R15) and I put the same in the Michelin. The are both reinforced CP tyres and I believe Michelin recommend higher pressures as a catch all.

My plated weights are front axle max 1850kg and rear max 2000kg. I know I do not exceed these so the pressures are fine according to tiresafes website so I think I will stick with them.