Tyres in high temperatures. Help! (2 Viewers)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I find your statement surprising to say the least. There is no logic what-so-ever to this method and you may well be placing yourself and others in harms way. Use a calibrated tyre gauge when the tyres are cold to establish your true tyre pressure.
My first thought was "I will just stick with tyre pal) as it has to be more accurate than that, I won't tell you my second thought;)

Martin

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
To get things into a more logical place . 1. you need to weigh axles and check that they are within the load capacity on tyres 2 taking that you are within then inflate to relevant pressure and do not go by visual . 3 Do not go by pressure as means of tyre selection go by load index.
We had American style ambulances in West Australia and they had a special tyre requirement , they ran at a high pressure and were used at emergency speeds in hot 45C ambient at times they always looked as under inflated , but did the job without problems .

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I find your statement surprising to say the least. There is no logic what-so-ever to this method and you may well be placing yourself and others in harms way. Use a calibrated tyre gauge when the tyres are cold to establish your true tyre pressure.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I always use the recommended pressures in UK ambient temperatures. However, if in a hot environment I increase the pressures to keep the tyre temperatures down.

I once drove a large American car from Jeddah to Riyadh 1000 klicks. I did not check and increase the pressures and one was a set at the manufacturers pressure. It over heated and disintegrated at 160 kph. We had to wait over an hour for the wheel to cool before it could be changed. Overheating is a major cause of tyre failure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
You want to reweigh and you might be able to lower the front pressures as the scoot will lighten the front axle transferring the weight to more on rear , this would give you a better ride on front with no detriment to front tyres ;)
Yes, good idea but were running in full time mode and packing ready for Spain this winter so I'm a tad heavier on the front than last time I weighed (165kgs light on front) ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back