Types of tyre for carthago chic

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Shuismo, May 24, 2013.

1. Shuismo

Shuismo Funster

Hi does anyone know which kind of tyre I should fit on a carthago chic motorhome as in the instructions it has 2 classifications eg"camping car" and "maxi" and I'm not sure which I have any help appreciated.
    Thakx

2. maz

maz Funster

'Camping car' tyres are supposed to be better at withstanding long periods of standing around than standard van tyres, and they are generally pumped up to higher pressures. They are also more expensive.

I think the term 'Maxi' is just referring to the Ducato chassis - standard Ducato has 15 inch wheels, Ducato Maxi has 16 inch wheels.

What does it say on the tyres you've already got? They'll have a marking something like 225/75 R16 CP plus a load rating such as 116 Q.

3. Shuismo

Shuismo Funster

Tyres

Thanks for your reply,
    We have Michelin tyres size 215/75R16Q.

We are looking at Continental 215/75R16 113/111R which do you think would be the better option?

Yhankx

4. maz

maz Funster

If the load ratings are the same, then it's really down to personal preference. There have been a number of threads on here about the pros and cons of camping vs standard van tyres. This thread might be particularly useful to you: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/60728-tyres-continental-v-michelin-camper.html