TV wall mount

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Touchwood, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

I'd like to mount our TV on a wall bracket, firstly to save invaluable work surface and secondly to remove the need to pack away the TV when moving the 'van.

Unfortunately the only logical place for it is on the side wall of the habitation; not on a cupboard wall or similar.

Is it feasible to fix to the main habitation wall? If so, how do I get sufficient strength/rigidity? What do I need to be careful of when drilling the wall for fixings? I certainly don't want to "fix through" with the implications of possible water ingress etc.

All advice and sugestions gratefully received, as usual.

Mike

2. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

Just had this problem. I've decided to try and fit a bracket to the underside of the overhead locker.

I got one of these from ebay.

The plan is for the tv not to stay on this bracket though, so it'll swing up out of the way when not in use.

Well, that's the idea, anyway...

Steve :Smile:

3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I assume you have this layout.

In which case, where exactly were you thinking of putting it?

Attached Files:

4. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Thanks Steve, but unfortunately there is no overhead locker in an appropriate position. :Sad:

5. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Spot on with the photo Minx - made me feel quite at home!

The planned location is above the cupboard/worktop which is out of sight in the photo, on the far side of the cooker, on the right hand side of the photo as we look at it. This would be perfect for viewing and suits the existing location of power sockets and aerial socket.

If fixing to the wall is impracticable, an alternative would be on the side of the full height cupboard on the other side of the habitation - not quite so good for viewing and would need rerouting of aerial socket at least.

Hope the above is clear, and your help is appreciated.

6. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi TW get the hammer out :thumb: tap (gently) around and listen to locate the wall batons :thumb: Once located you can screw into that or glue and screw a Patrice to it then screw into that :thumb:
    terry

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Whatever you do don't mount by drilling holes through the outside wall like some tosser did on the caravan I bought.. :Doh: .... I've since removed, filled and blanked off the holes.

Terry's suggestion is the best option provided you can find the batons..

8. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Hi Touchwood, that's where I've fitted my bracket, I've drilled through the cupboard wall and put a piece of batten inside the cupboard to strengthen the fixing, I think you would be very brave to attempt to fasten it to the Hab wall, particularly if you intend to leave the TV in situ whilst travelling. I have fitted a 3 arm bracket which helps with the viewing angles.

9. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Thanks all.

The more I think on this the more inclined I am to fix to the cupboard wall (as suggested by Gooney) Viewing would then be restricted to whilst sat down in the lounge, with no option to view whilst washing up, say, but that's no big deal actually, and rerouting the internal aerial wiring to a new socket would be a doddle as the external aerial socket is very close.

So - any suggestions now for a good but cheap bracket? TV is new, from Curry's, one of those modern slimline jobs so weight isn't a major issue - but I've seen some eye-watering prices for what seems to be a fairly straight-forward piece of kit! Would be nice if it could be "clipped" into the fully folded back position for travelling, or at least be stiff enough to stay folded without being too stiff to unfold, if you see what I mean.

10. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Have a look on eBay, I have bought a number of brackets from sellers on there from 15" up to 60" for use in the house at a fraction of shop prices, all have been of good quality I would add.

11. Terry

Terry Funster

12. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Hi touchwood
    If you do fit a cantilever type bracket, when it's in it's parked position drill an 1/8" hole down vertically through the arms then drop nail or something similar into the hole and the arm cannot unfold then.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  13. robnchris

robnchris Funster

tv bracket

Hi Touchwood,

If you have the basic skills and tools fixing the bracket where you want shouldn`t be too much of a problem.
    I fitted one to our Autotrail Cheyenne in the manner you are asking about.
    Main point as previously mentioned is Don`t Drill Through the habitation wall.
    2nd Don`t leave the TV on the bracket whilst travelling.

Ok I cut a hole in the inner wall and cleaned an area through to the outer wall.
    Then I machined a piece of hard wood larger than the hole by enough to fix with screws through the inner wall into the hardwood battern, you will be able to slide the hardwood support piece through at an angle, if not cut it in two pieces.
    This was then bonded to the outwall with a suitable adhesive, both side of the battern were coated in the adhesive so it also bonded to the inner wall, the stainless steel screws were added as extra support.
    This will be strong enough to hold your TV.:thumb:

14. san846

san846 Read Only Funster

Dumb question but is it ok to have the tv on one of these brackets when your travelling? ( I am a beginner.....lol)
    Sandra

15. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi it depends on how good your fixing is :Smile: mine stays on :thumb:but also folds intoa cupboard
    terry