TV Point on Serviced Pitch

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Revolvor, May 23, 2016.

1. Revolvor

Revolvor Funster

I am booking a site in June, and have the option of a pitch with TV Point, Fresh Water and Grey Waste disposal. I have never used such a pitch and have a few questions.

I know my MH does not have an external TV Point, so ….

1. How do I bring the external TV lead into the van? Do people have MHs with external sockets already fitted?
    2. What is the most common plug/socket for the “post” end? I am pretty sure my TV just has an older type Coaxial socket.
    3. What typical length of aerial lead would I need?

Grey Waste …

The outlet is a rigid plastic pipe, approx. 50 mm diameter, from memory, controlled by a ball valve.

1. What is the most common way of connecting this to the drain? I have seen Caravans on sites, with rigid pipe extensions, but would like something more portable.
    2. Again, any “standard length” for this pipe?

Fresh Water …

1. I normally use a “food grade” hose with standard hose connector, but do many people use something similar to this, to connect to the MH?

heoswater__08519__11770.1347787049.1280.1280.jpg

2. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Re : the T.V. aerial point

Yes, many MH's have an external aerial socket, if you haven't got that then running the cable through an adjacent window to the T.V. is one way.

All the pitches with this facility we have used thus far have normal coax connections.

10 metres of coax should suffice.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

TV point .. normal coaxial socket on post .. 10mts of coax should be plenty

Grey waste.. I use a flexible pipe that pushes over the grey waste pipe on the van.. measure yours and buy from a pond shop..
    I carry two lengths that can be joined giving me a total length of 6 mts.

Fresh water .. you can use whatever you like... fill up as normal with your hose.. .. I don't have the connector you show.. I just stuff the hose end into the filler point.

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. Revolvor

Revolvor Funster

Jim & Mark,

Thanks for your replies. I will get myself lengths of co-ax cable and flexible pipe.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Badknee

Badknee Funster

We pitched up to a site in Barmouth that had no TVs reception at all. The site had wired every pitch up with tv and loaned us a length of coax for £2.00 deposit. I have seen units with ridgid drain pipes but they belonged to the site and were left behind when pitches were vacated.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Revolvor

Revolvor Funster

Thanks Paul. Useful to know, but I think I will get a length of Co-ax cable, just to be self-sufficient.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Yes, good plan. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Make sure you get a good quality double screened co-ax lead or make one from satellite cable no quicker way of losing a signal than with cheap cable.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Chas17

Chas17 Funster

Not sure how relevant this is but last weekend the guy on the next pitch was using the TV point with a co-ax extension lead. To go through the window he had what appeared to be a flexible printed circuit board with co-ax connectors at each end. I hadn't come across this before but a quick Google gives quite a few results - and cheap!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Arzedby

Arzedby Funster

Hi Chas17.
    What exactly did you google?...or what are these " flexible printed circuit board with co-ax connectors at each end" called in the results?

11. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

The TV connection question has been answered above, as has the waste water query. Regarding the fresh water connector you have shown these are great if you are a solo traveller as they ensure the hose is locked in place and won't come out of the filler tube if you aren't holding it (all depends on water pressure). I have one and wouldn't be without it when using a hose.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Arzedby

Arzedby Funster

:gum: Cool...

Thanks.

14. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

The site we stayed on a couple of weeks ago in the western isles used a satellite cable type connector for the TV point even though it was a terrestrial type aerial. I had a satellite cable with us and I managed to bodge up a connection between the sat cable and a normal co-ax connection using PVC tape to get it working. Next time I will make sure we have some adapters with us. Something like this.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-CONNECT...383804?hash=item4ce9c2f9fc:g:sewAAOSwm8VUxgly

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. JohnH

JohnH Funster

Take a couple of coaxial gender changers and an f-type to coaxial connectors. If you don't you will need the one you don't have. I got all the connectors from Maplins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

This imho is the most straightforward answer to the tv issue, its so frustrating to arrive on site & start setting up the tv only to find that your short of a female or male connector (how do we know this:cry:) so a little pack of adaptors is a godsend & Maplin's might not be the cheapest but its all displayed perfectly in front of you, that cant be a bad thing?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Chas17

Chas17 Funster

Sorry for the delay Arzedby but I've been out of action. However I see your query has been answered - with pictures

18. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

Regarding the TV cable, check in the back of your EHU outlet flap. Our TV cabinet has a TV aerial cable coming out of it and I never knew where it went to I never investigated this any further as we have a satellite dish which we use for the TV. Anyway a few months ago I was pulling out the MH EHU socket and noticed behind it, tucked into the rear of the small opening was the other end of the co-axial aerial cable!

So that's where it went! Anyway it does make sense to put it there alongside the EHU.

I've just nipped out and taken a couple of photographs which will explain it better. (y)

Anyway it's worth a look.

KH

PS. Note to self - clean out the EHU flap thingy...
    P1040295.jpg P1040296.jpg P1040297.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Revolvor

Revolvor Funster

Thanks @Photo4x4. I went straight out and looked at mine, but no TV point! I see your EHU Flap is oblong to accommodate the Aerial. Unfortunately, mine is square, so no room for me to fit one retrospectively. I have had some really helpful posts on this thread, so have lots of information about what I need. Thanks to all who posted.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

It was worth a look anyway. BTW I've cleaned out the EHU flap thingy now so it made me do that anyway! :oops:

KH

• Funny Funny x 1