TV for new Motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by geoff1947, Jun 12, 2009.

1. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

We have just sold our panel van and bought our new Sigma EL (known as Ruby as it's our 40th wedding anniversary present to each other) (the ruby ring will follow in December ) and need to fit a TV into it before we set off at the end of June. The question is? Can I purchase one from Tesco with a DVD included and fit it to a wall mounted bracket and will it be robust enough for off road i.e. tracks to CLs etc. Don't require a 12 /230 system as not too bothered if the CL is without electricity so a standard home 15" set will do. Also have a Roadpro sat TV dish which I use abroad Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted. Can't wait to get going again:thumb:

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

an inverter will cane the battery so a 12V option is a better bet. You will also need a DC/DC converter to assure a 12V supply and protect the set.

3. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I use a UMC tv/dvd from Makro, £135 inc vat. It is 12v via the supplied power supply. I use it with a 75watt inverter that plugs direct into a 12v socket. I have checked the current draw and it is less than 2.5 amp when using the DVD and under 2amps for the tv alone.
    I looked a the amphor voltage stabiliser but as that is rated at 85% efficient a mini inverter seems to be a more effecient option.
    Andy

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

a lot more efficient than converting 12v to 230v through the inverter then converting it back to 12v through the supplied 'in lead' transformer to the TV:Doh:

you've got the loss in the inverter AND the loss in the power transformer.

inverters arent usually much better than 90% efficient and the transformers probably no better so you have a 10% loss in the inverter and 10% of the remaining 90% inverter power lost in the transformer.
    i make that a 19% inefficiency overall.

you may be better with the amporor stabilizer.

5. pappajohn

hi Geoff,

DONT rely on the external wall panels to take the weight of the TV and bracket, they arent strong enough.:Eek!:

i mounted mine on the wardrobe wall, bolted right through, so i could put a spreader plate on the inside.....solid as a rock.:thumb:

6. andyman

I make that a 19% inefficiency overall

Will i really notice 4% of 2.5amps .

Mini inverter £7.50 delivered, Amphor Controler arround £40. No contest in my mind.

It would be interesting to run the same TV both ways and check the current draw. I will check the current tommorow with the TV connected direct to the 12v and then with240v adaptor and see what the difference is.

Andy

7. pappajohn

:thumb:

just an opinion andy, but would be interested to know.

i run the same TV in the van i think (got that many different ones around the house i lose track) and have an amporer stabilizer.

8. stagman

stagman Deleted User

You can get a Akura 15" with dvd and freeview for around a £100 if lucky and they are 12v and draw only around 25 watts search ebay etc .Got mine for £90 delivered.:thumb:

9. andyman

Re my earlier post. I have just done some checks and with the TV connected direct to the 12v supply I am drawing 2 Amps and via the power supply and inverter 2.7amps.
    It would be interesting to see the current draw from a Amphor voltage stabiliser.

10. The Wild Ones

The Wild Ones Read Only Funster

Hi Geoff

If the TV you have in mind i this one http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-5227.aspx I bought one recently. I bought it to replace an aging 10" CRT, it was easier to do this than add a freeview box and diddlely Dee player. FWIW this model is actually 12v DC via standard DC socket (12v 5A 60W). 230v use is via the type of brick PSU used for a laptop. IMHO its a cracking little set with a great picture on all sources, and is fully featured.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  11. stagman

stagman Deleted User

That's a lot of amps being drawn . Make sure your batteries and lead is up to the job :thumb:

12. The Wild Ones

Yes LCD's are not all they are cracked up to be in terms of energy saving. Mind you the 10" CRT it replaced was 43w so add a FV box and DVD would probably been around 100w anyway, and Andyman mentioned a combined figure of 4.5 amps with his kit. My battery should be good for 17 hours continous running without charging with this figure however the figure I quoted was off the box and the psu states 12v at 5A = 60W I suspect the actual figure will be lower because the manufacturer will almost certainly have built in some head room for safety reasons.

13. stagman

stagman Deleted User

15" LCD TV on Ebay .Akura 25 watts item no 320382806527 already got one from this dealer works a treat .:thumb:

14. The Wild Ones

FWIW and FYI I entered a region free remote code and my Technica 15" FV/DVD LCD TV from tescos is now DVD region free. It is great news for me as I have several australian and American dvds I can now enjoy whilst away.

For anyone else with the same set heres what you do, turn on dvd with remote (source button) > at dvd screen, press 9635 > turn off dvd using remote again. Should now be region free.

15. andyman

Just to clear things up. The 2 figures I quoted are seperate methods of powering the TV. 1 direct to the battery and the other via an inverter and the TV power supply. Direct it was using 2 amps and via inverter 2.7 amps. You do not need to add the two together. It was just to confirm what pappajohn said that the inverter and power supply would use some power and his guess of 19% was about right.

Andy

16. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

Thanks for all the advice Some a bit too technical for one with no technical brain cells. Thanks to The Wild Ones for pointing me to the 15" set from Tesco. Ticks all my boxes so have purchased one today and it works fine in the van so here hoping!!:thumb:

17. The Wild Ones

Glad to be of some help, its a minefield out there isnt it:thumb:

18. ingram

ingram Read Only Funster

I have one of those from Tesco, a Teknica but without the DVD option. How are you connecting it to the 12v 'van supply? I have only used mine with the 230v connector as yet.

Harvey

19. The Wild Ones

Easiest way I can think of is to buy a proprietary 12v cigar lighter plug to 12v DC plug. Chop off the cigar lighter plug and replace with the 12v plug compatible with your MH as they do vary, for example mine uses the european style `Hella' plug.

This should avoid you having to make solder connections, if you are au fait here mind you then you could make your own. Either way you will need a multimeter in order to deduce polarity, The standard (including The Technica TV) is centre pole of plug (inner conductor) positive, and outer conductor (negative).

A further word of warning there are several sizes of DC socket, I think it was the 5mm one I used, but best to take the mains adapter to your nearest maplins and match it up to be on the safe side. The cable used must be able to carry at least 5 amps, an it would be prudent to fit an inline fuse (antisurge) 5 amps.

All the best

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  20. MickR

MickR Read Only Funster

T.V. For Motorhome

We bought a 15inch. combi from M&S with a 5year Guarentee, bought mounting bracket from Tesco. When traveling we wrap the T.V. in a bath Towel and mount again when we arrive on site.