TV aerial (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2015
Ramsey, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Montana
Exp
I'm a newbie
My current Status is old and not suitable for digital. Using an Avtex 1000 at the moment, gives a reasonable picture but its a fag having to mount it every time we get on site then twist and turn to get the best signal.
Has anyone tried the new Omnimax Pro? It looks neat and write up says it has 360 degree signal reception.
Look forward to comments.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Although omnidirectional aerials are easier to use they aren't as good in weak signal areas.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just do not be fooled in to paying more for something claiming to be specifically for digital.. There is no such thing.. The aerials for digital are the same as those for non digital.. As long as it is wide band that is all that matters.. I would suggest you get something with a pre-amp in the system though
Or get one without and then buy a pre-amp separately

Link Removed

Looks like a good buy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Why is your current aerial no good for digital? Aa Jaws has said above, there is no such thing as a "digital" aerial. It is quite a few years since the analogue system was turned off so how old is your aerial? Have you tried what you have - chances are that it will work, but remember a directional aerial will out perform an omnidirectional one any day.

Dave

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Don't you just love shops who try to sell stuff with the label for DIGITAL on a piece of wire ( which is basically what an aerial is ) a TV aerial will work as long as it is suitable for the frequency you are trying to receive which all current TV aerials do
What needs to be specific is the signal amplifier which needs to be a digital "decoder" (not an accurate word but works ) to amplify the signal contents as well as the signal amplitude
Where the old system (Analogue) you just amplified the whole signal (and noise ) to improve (ish) the picture on your TV

We now tend to use a mini Sat dish in the UK rather than terrestrial TV (remember we are in the middle of looking for a motorhome) so it was easier for us to throw away our old Status flying saucer

Hopefully the motorhome will have a dish on the roof and we won't have to worry about TV aerials

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When we went digital a local TV shop made a quick buck going round all the elderly people in a village fitting 'digital' aerials, until trading standards stopped them. Mind you, they were a lovely gold colour!

OP
OP
Mac Man
Nov 23, 2015
Ramsey, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Montana
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the comments and advise.
The current Status is on my 1998 Auto-trail Cheyenne. When I got the MH in September I tried my Avtex TV connected to the Status via the amplifier, not a sign of a signal. Tried another Status amplifier still nothing so gave up and used the Avtex 1000 aerial which is OK but a fag having to set it up each time.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Our back garden has direct line of sight to the transmitter & not a single omnidirectional aerial has ever been able to pick up a signal from it. Shove on a newer Status aerial & the picture was perfect!

Our moho has a Teleco aerial & its a far better bit of kit than the recent Status aerials, we've had 3 different Status aerials go on the blink (water ingress), changed to Teleco & we get a signal in places where the Status couldn't. To be fair, until recently I was resolutely in favour of Status aerials.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks for the comments and advise.
The current Status is on my 1998 Auto-trail Cheyenne. When I got the MH in September I tried my Avtex TV connected to the Status via the amplifier, not a sign of a signal. Tried another Status amplifier still nothing so gave up and used the Avtex 1000 aerial which is OK but a fag having to set it up each time.

I would suggest your old aerial is faulty.. that simple..
As a by the by, a couple of things to try
First.. is the red light coming on on the amplifier ?
If it is, have you plugged the Avtex aerial in the amp to see if that improves the signal ?
If it does then you have proved the amp is ok and it is the aerial that has failed.
If it does nowt then the amp is duff and possibly ( probably ) the aerial as well
Whilst I would not suggest trying to repair the amp, the aerial is very simple bit of mechanics and virtually any problem can be sorted out by the average DIY'er

OP
OP
Mac Man
Nov 23, 2015
Ramsey, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Montana
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Jaws for your suggestions. The red light on the amplifier is on so I assumed it was OK, however I had another Status amplifier so wired that into the 12 volt supply and plunged the aerial into this and the TV to the output. Still nothing, Avtex TV was retuned still no signal so assumed the aerial was duff!
Can't try the Avtex aerial as the MH is in storage compound. I'll have to leave it until after Christmas when I can get the MH home to experiment.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
My current aerial has an Amp which shows red (no signal) or anything via yellow to green depending on the signal strength. So as you turn it you find the best signal strength in the area saves going outside on a wet cold night!. All done from inside the M-H.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back