Free Member
Dec 26, 2011
Shildon,Co Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
anyone know of a company that can fit a turbo to my mercedes 2.9 engine ?i love the van but its flat as a pancake goin up hills!anyone had this done to their van already ? and any idea on price?i know my van quite well now so rather than selling this van and putting some more money to a turbo engined van,i thought i,d enquire about getting a turbo regards jonjay

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
its not really an easy job fitting a turbo to a non turbo engine.

1. exhaust manifold would need replacing and exhaust front pipe.
2. new pistons (may get away with old but maybe not)
3. oil pump would ideally need upgrading for higher output provided that there is a position to take a high pressure high flow oil feed from to the turbo.
you would probably require a new oil sump with a higher capacity and return fitting from turbo.
inlet manifold would need to be changed to suit turbo compression side.

it would be cheaper to find a turbocharged engine to fit complete with wiring harness, exhaust and ecu. or just live with what you got.

OP
OP
R

rambojonjay64

Free Member
Dec 26, 2011
Shildon,Co Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
turbo

thanks Andy sounds like quite a bit of work think i,ll take your advice and just live with it jonjay :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi contact Geo and ask his advise.
It sound like we have the same engine with the same problem [ this engine is recognized as bomb proof ]
On ours the inlet to the air cleaner was about one inch in diamiter, but the inlet into the venture was 3 inch. Suppose the reason was to cut down the noise from the air entering the the air cleaner.
The problem was greatly improved by removing the air cleaner inlet pipe, making aconectiing,
pipe [3 inch]air . Manufacturing an air scoop and mounting it behind the front grill so that the air dam that builds up at the front of a moveing vehicle can to a small degree force feed the induction, then conecting the two with a 3 inch flexable pipe.
This has improved performance notable.
At the start of this exersize we contacted a company in Lancaster in north Lancashier they quoted £ 2500 2 yr ago witch seamed reasonable. The problem was that they neaded to cut the floor of the van and we did not want this as the van at 60 mph is as quiet inside as our Volvo, and we did not want to jeperdise this.

Hope this helps. Pudseykeith

OP
OP
R

rambojonjay64

Free Member
Dec 26, 2011
Shildon,Co Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
turbo

thanks ,Pudseykeith most helpful,Andy had a good idea sourcing a turbo engine plus ecu and harness,i think the engine i,ve got in is similar to a Mercedes Sprinter,i need to research this a little more regards jonjay :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back