Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Be Warned... a boring, techo tale coming up...

Having two campers can be twice the joy... one (The Wagon) for every day use and living... the other (Hymer 660S) for luxury weekends/short trips away... but two campers can also provide twice the problems...

This cold season I have not been able to use the Hymer because the old Truma heater ignition has been erratic at best and recently non functioning at all. The new, battery operated igniter was dispatched to Portugal on Dec 20th (first class airmail) but has not yet arrived.

The Wagon heater (very, very old) was serviced (by me) and worked perfectly until last week when the thermocouple stopped working and the gas could not reach the main burners. I could have it on "tick over" by holding the button down (with a piece of wood) but with the nights dropping down to 1 or 2C this was not enough!

The Wagon heater ignites by the old fashioned way... pushing a sprung loaded button down makes a "click" and this generates a spark at the operational end...

"I wonder..." I thought this lunchtime... and I removed the igniter from the Wagon (two nuts) and, moving into the Hymer, I plugged in the ignition wire for that heater and pressed the button.

"Click" it went and the Truma (SL 5002) fired up first time... The Hymer is HOT. I tested six more times... each time the heater lit first button push.

Now my attention turned to the Wagon Carver (SB1800) heater. I had a spare thermocouple for the Hymer but the wire was too short... Using snips, solder, Loctite Super Steel and tape I carried out a non specified modification and extended the spare thermocouple wire.

Collecting the igniter from the Hymer I plugged it back into the Wagon heater and pressed... whammo... it's heater is now roaring away on full bore...

All I now have to do is to remember to have the "button pushy thingy" in the same vehicle as the one I am spending the night in! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Two repairs... cost... £0.

JJ

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Marvellous

Sure upholds the saying necessity is the mother of invention.

Well done JJ.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back