Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
trying to remember where it is but i seem to think if the wheels arent 1mtr apart it is classed as a bike .there was some confusion years ago and i had alot of info sent to me when we were making them .will try to keep you posted when i find it. cheers alan.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have just purchased this>>Link Removed to use as secondary transport when on sites...don't care if you do call me the oldest swinger in town at 65 i feel like a 25yr old..problem is i can't find one:ROFLMAO:Anyone else take their trike/motorbike with them??...Dave

Better colour than the average Zimmer frame.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Proff

Free Member
Aug 31, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years
I use a modified braked ALKO caravan chassis to carry my Trike..
It also adapts in minutes to a 3 bike or general purpose trailer wiuth a 1 tonne carrying capacity..
DSCF0507.jpg

DSCF0510.jpg

I have used the front wheel support mode before, but I had one put in gear once at a traffic light by some little scrote/bucket dodger..
Thankfully a biker pulled alongside and flagged me down after around 1/2 mile..
I started the engine and it spewed crap out of exhaust, took ages to clear because 40 mph in 1st gear without power, petrol or spark is not what a Vee Dub engine likes ...
So mine is fully supported when being towed...

FYI,,, IF IF you get stopped for a check by Vosa, they may try and tell you that as you have two articulation points [steering head and towball] that you are towing 2 trailer and are limited to 40 mph
[as in showmens vehicles] you will also be told you need a HGV / LGV class 1 to operate a double articulation outfit..
Look dumb, don't argue and hope for the best ...

VOSA! = Taking over from rogue clampers as most despised scum on earth..:Angry:

Proff

Free Member
Aug 31, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years
The above pics were taken when it was going for it's reclassification at Matford DVLA, don't need SVA as its a "bolt" on conversion :)
Now looks a bit more finished ..

Attachments

• DSCN4520.jpg
    DSCN4520.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 17

GDH

Free Member
Jun 1, 2010
North West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
couple of months
Take mine all over the place. Its a Goldwing with an EML conversion. Use a car trailer to take it along as we often take the car instead.
Well done on your new purchase. ENJOY

Attachments

• trike2.jpg
    trike2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 15

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi proff .you dont need a hgv or class 1 to drive an artic .if the tow unit is under 3.020 kg un laden ,like mine . as for double articulation its ok . as for fairground the have no more rules on their side than any man in the street .no special rules just for them.
with the front lift tow you usually have to lock on the ball or similar to stop it falling over. my kit as a big pin to stabilize it.worse thing is the brakes .as they are fitted and the wheels run omn the road the now trailer must have orking brakes. very easy to adapt an un braked trailer to look like a boat launcher trailer .then you dont need brakes. as all three wheels off ground.

Proff

Free Member
Aug 31, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years
hi proff .you dont need a hgv or class 1 to drive an artic .if the tow unit is under 3.020 kg un laden ,like mine . as for double articulation its ok . as for fairground the have no more rules on their side than any man in the street .no special rules just for them.
with the front lift tow you usually have to lock on the ball or similar to stop it falling over. my kit as a big pin to stabilize it.worse thing is the brakes .as they are fitted and the wheels run omn the road the now trailer must have orking brakes. very easy to adapt an un braked trailer to look like a boat launcher trailer .then you dont need brakes. as all three wheels off ground.

Hi Alan..
You know that, I know that ! but just try telling the VOSA scrotes that :(
used to have 2 VOSA vans in Devon Cornwall, 1 Exeter 1 Truro..
Now we have 22, all manned by feckwits who think they are GODS !!!:Angry:
Tried to fine me £60 because I had a Solid as well as a breakaway cable on my braked box trailer..
Stating Solid for unbraked only, Breakaway for braked trailers only..
I called a copper over [he was luckily supervising] and asked him if a trailer coming uncoupled on a M/way would be better off as a solid BRAKED obstruction in lane 1 or 2 or securely held to back of my 4.6 tonne Hymer 660 and taken to hard shoulder ??
Clever cop just stated very clearly, that if I was prosecuted for it, he would be available as a witness :winky:
VOSA Monkey didn't like that and really went to town on my oufit..
Nowt wrong of course but what a pain :(.

..........................................................................................
All the above is true and happened last year {Sept} on Sedgemoor services M5....
Since then { March} I have had a white VOSA van pull in front of me with a "Follow me. Vehicle inspection" on the back, I ignored it and carried on past the turn off {Cullompton } it wanted me to take..
I stopped at Taunton Dean and whilst parked up was approached by a very friendly Police officer..
"Did you refuse to stop for a VOSA van" ??
A What ??
"A VOSA van has reported you for not stopping for inspection"
Ohh you mean the van with flashing YELLOW light and no uniforms in it and a cheapo buy anywhere flashing sign ??
"Yes" said PC
I've got 3 BMW classic bikes in my trailer, 2 R90s and a R100cs.
would you pull into an unknown layby or area for any van with yellow light on top ??
"Point taken" said the PC and then proceeded to do a very quick check of my outfit as he said that is what VOSA had requested..

Now comes the crucial point>>
I asked the PC if I had broken any law by NOT stopping for them..

NO !! he said.. they can request, but not actually enforce you to stop without police back up ....
So Campers>>>
No Blues and Twos means NO STOP from me :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you are so correct vosa can only pul you over with assistance from a policeman/woman. but they can prohibit your journey after inspection.
strangely i always get on with the vosa men down her .was speeking to andy boyle the head man only a few weeks ago on behalf of a funster.
they have somewhere pics of my truck in its build up they think its a good one .mot excempt and running disabled tax .built on my front lawn. always have a laugh about it.
if your trailer is under 1500kg it doesnt need an emergency brake brakeaway cable. if its fitted with a cable to stop the coupling head touching the ground
another piece of useless info .ha ha . cheers alan.if the trailer becomes detached. only applies to single axle trailers .

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
..........................................................................................
All the above is true and happened last year {Sept} on Sedgemoor services M5....
Since then { March} I have had a white VOSA van pull in front of me with a "Follow me. Vehicle inspection" on the back, I ignored it and carried on past the turn off {Cullompton } it wanted me to take..
I stopped at Taunton Dean and whilst parked up was approached by a very friendly Police officer..
"Did you refuse to stop for a VOSA van" ??
A What ??
"A VOSA van has reported you for not stopping for inspection"
Ohh you mean the van with flashing YELLOW light and no uniforms in it and a cheapo buy anywhere flashing sign ??
"Yes" said PC
I've got 3 BMW classic bikes in my trailer, 2 R90s and a R100cs.
would you pull into an unknown layby or area for any van with yellow light on top ??
"Point taken" said the PC and then proceeded to do a very quick check of my outfit as he said that is what VOSA had requested..

Now comes the crucial point>>
I asked the PC if I had broken any law by NOT stopping for them..

NO !! he said.. they can request, but not actually enforce you to stop without police back up ....
So Campers>>>
No Blues and Twos means NO STOP from me :thumb:

Hi Proff,
Things have changed.
VOSA is now, and have been since for some time, empowered to require drivers to stop for inspection without a Police presence.
They do not use white vans for this purpose, though.
The vehicles used are "battenburg" check patterned black and yellow people carriers with yellow, not blue, flashing beacons.
The VOSA men are in full uniform for this purpose.
Failure to stop for these is the same as failing to stop for a copper.
There will be some coming on here now to say this is incorrect, or is a further infringement on our liberties, etc. etc.
Dont care, they can gripe all they want, this is how it is.
Cheers
John

Proff

Free Member
Aug 31, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years
Hi Proff,
Things have changed.
VOSA is now, and have been since for some time, empowered to require drivers to stop for inspection without a Police presence.
They do not use white vans for this purpose, though.
The vehicles used are "battenburg" check patterned black and yellow people carriers with yellow, not blue, flashing beacons.
The VOSA men are in full uniform for this purpose.
Failure to stop for these is the same as failing to stop for a copper.
There will be some coming on here now to say this is incorrect, or is a further infringement on our liberties, etc. etc.
Dont care, they can gripe all they want, this is how it is.
Cheers
John

I still night trunk as a relief driver occasionally.
We are told >>
"Do not stop for any other vehicle than a fully marked police car with blues and twos"
and
"Do not follow or allow any vehicle to take you off your route"
Considering a lot of our loads are bonded..
I'm quite happy to ignore them>> VOSA.

Even if the Vehicle is showing blues and twos we are asked to use common sense and try to stop in a well lit area of a services, preferably covered by CCTV, not on hard shoulder..

Ammendum....
just phoned a mate, Serving inspector Devon constabulary...

VOSA think they can, but they can't, NO Blue lights mean no offence of not stopping for an Officer...
UNLESS it's a Womble vehicle showing "No Overtaking" or accident information instigating "lane closed" sign
Whereas you could be done for Driving without due care and attention if you hooned past it...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must say if it was in working hours i would ring the vosa man down here , but will ring tomorrow . proff and i could be wrong but my transport managers book does says they cant. stop only if a uniformed policeman is directing you.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I still night trunk as a relief driver occasionally.
We are told >>
"Do not stop for any other vehicle than a fully marked police car with blues and twos"
and
"Do not follow or allow any vehicle to take you off your route"
Considering a lot of our loads are bonded..
I'm quite happy to ignore them>> VOSA.

Even if the Vehicle is showing blues and twos we are asked to use common sense and try to stop in a well lit area of a services, preferably covered by CCTV, not on hard shoulder..

Ammendum....
just phoned a mate, Serving inspector Devon constabulary...

VOSA think they can, but they can't, NO Blue lights mean no offence of not stopping for an Officer...
UNLESS it's a Womble vehicle showing "No Overtaking" or accident information instigating "lane closed" sign
Whereas you could be done for Driving without due care and attention if you hooned past it...

I would suggest your mate check out the Police Reform Act of 2002.
This gave Chief Officers of Police the facility to authorise VOSA to stop without Police attendance.
The VOSA stop scheme had ministerial launch in 2004. The pilot scheme involved 5 counties, and being successful was expanded to encompass England and Wales shortly after.
"VOSA think they can, but they can't, NO Blue lights mean no offence of not stopping for an Officer."
He's got it wrong.
As for refusing to stop with high value loads:
I work with high consequence loads. The Transec (Transport Security Section, DfT) card system of requiring any dubious officer of any kind to ID themselves properly and allowing the driver to check them through 999 has existed successfully since 2004.
Cant disagree with your procedure for bonded goods, but to say "No blues, no offence" is incorrect.

VW Alan,
Hi. How old is your Transport Manager's Handbook?
Is it Mr.Lowe's book?

John
Cheers
John

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Blimey!

Well that's a biggan! I have a bike trike so not as big but we don't tow it yet, BUT I have seen a few of them towed, I saw one on a trailer, one with a sort of metal arm towing it & one with just the front wheel lifted and tied to a sort of square bar connected to the back of the MH.. A frame might work with a massive thing like yours... hope that helps ::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi johnp10. i must say you are right on .vosa have got the power to stop and direct. i phoned one of our local traffic examiners and he said about 3-4 could be more they were given the power .i was looking in a d,lowe book and even in the 2006 he says they didnt have it .not got round to looking in a later book . but i thank you for telling us . i wouldnt argue as i needed to check but you were spot on. i bow to your greater knowledge. cheers alan.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Cheers Alan.
None of us have greater knowledge than anyone else, just in different directions.
This part of my work world. (I am not a VOSA man).
I work in the road transport industry as punishment for being a git in a former life.
In my next life I want an easier job: alligator wrestling or being ShiftZZ's PR man at Tescos.
Interpreting legislation doesnt involve wishful thinking, it's as it is.
Cheers
John

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
could be saucy. !!!!! in fact i think it is saucy .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back