Travelling With Gas Fridge On!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by paulel, Jun 16, 2015.

1. paulel

paulel Read Only Funster

This could be a very stupid question but what do you think about running the fridge on gas while travelling? I'm going away for the first time tomorrow and from what I've read on here the 12v system isn't very effective.

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

My Dometic works fine on 12 volts

• Like Like x 2
  3. scousebird

scousebird Funster

12v fine on our fridge too. If you're worried about the fridge being cold freeze a bottle of water and put that in, then use it when it's defrosted. I wouldn't travel with the fridge on gas.

• Like Like x 5
  4. alfandM

alfandM Funster

if you run with your gas fridge on ,make sure you turn it off before entering a refueling station ie petrol derv or like wise or it may be the last thing you remember,Regards Alf.

• Like Like x 4
  5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Mine is fine on 12v. It changes over automatically when I start the engine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. paulel

paulel Read Only Funster

Thanks for the quick and informative responses. I was expecting people to be horrified at the idea!

7. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

We only swich our frige off when filing up with fuel or gas and on the ferry we normally carry some boatels of water with salt in it to help on the ferry's to keep the fridge could on longer crossings like hull Rotterdam
    apart from that we never turn it off except when layed up
    bill

• Like Like x 1
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Not at all.. most American Motorhome fridges don't have a 12v facility and run on gas while travelling,

but to reitterate above replies, it should be fine on 12v ..

• Like Like x 1
  9. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I've never thought about the fridge when getting fuel. I guess when I switch the engine off the fridge automatically goes back to gas. I know I've never turned it off.

10. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

If your fridge is Auto Sensing then there should be a delay (I thinks its 20mins on ours) before the Fridge switches to Gas and the ignition lights it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. houdini

houdini Funster

Excellent idea, I shall be doing that in future as well as the cold blocks. :)

12. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

We run the fridge freezer on full power off the mains at home for a day or two before we are due to leave and then put it on auto when we set off and let it sort itself out. So it runs 12v when on the move then when we stop for lunch, fuel or wild camping it automatically switches to gas after about 15 minutes or to mains electric when we plug in to a power point. Simples!

• Like Like x 1
  13. fleurette

fleurette Funster Life Member

Think you may find that even if you could try to run it on gas while driving the flame would more than lightly blow out with the draught while in motion.

14. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Not at all, system is designed to work in gale force won when stationary so driving with fridge on gas should`t be a problem. we always drive with fridge switched to gas and never had any problems.

15. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

@paulel Run the fridge on Gas or Mains Leccy today (well, tonight now) and it will cool down much faster than 12v...... then once the temperature is down the 12v will keep it cold just fine (y) We do this every time we go away, it works great :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

:) Get the fridge as cold as possible before you start any journey the 12 v will then keep it at that temp while driving. If the fridge is turned off and left for 8 hours without the door being opened the food in freezer compartment will still be frozen. We have tried this. This was in the UK so not as long in south Spain in summer. On a long drive stop every 3 hours for 1/2 hour and put fridge on gas if you are worried. This will help keep it cold. :cool:

steve & ann. ------------- teensvan

• Like Like x 1
  17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

The fridges 12v supply is for maintaining a pre chilled temperature, it wont chill to a suitable degree from scratch.

Either stick in some frozen food or a couple of proper, pre frozen, ice packs and that will help bring the temp down on 12v while travelling.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Depends on the fridge. In the first Electrolux 3 way I had, from warm, loaded with food, the milk in the door would be frozen from a 4 hour drive. In out last van we had to load with ice blocks to keep cool when driving and haven't tried this van on a long enough journey yet.

@paulel pop ice blocks or water in the freezer section while you cool the fridge on mains if possible le and give it a go. Could be great or could be not so great but you won't know till you try. 12v is virtually free energy as you drive so would be best to use that rather than gas if possible.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Ranger

Ranger Funster

Glad we have a compressor fridge, turn it on when we go away and off when we come home job done.

20. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

On 12v correctly wired the frig will, if anything, get colder than you want. The 12v setting has no controlling thermostat (at least pre-AES - AES may have one). Ours will freeze the milk if we aren't careful.

• Like Like x 1