Sep 18, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Jayco Greyhawk
Exp
20 years
Hi Folks

We have now booked to go to La Torreta in Spain for 94 days a new problem has now arisen that we are struggling to find insurance that goes over 90 days.Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks Jayco

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Might be worth opening up a bank account that offers free travel insurance, normally covers you for 45 days and you can pay to extend it. Try Lloyds, & Nationwide, Nationwide also includes european breakdown cover for Motorhomes up to 7.5 tons.
We are with Lloyds and pay to extend it to 60 days.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
most dont bother with it, you can use ehic card .
been traveling long trips for years and all i hear about are folk having trouble with it insurance that is . yet ehic or the old 111 nothing but praise.
if you should have an ongoing health problem most wont touch you anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Tried justravelcover, a few minutes ago. Needed a definite return date!. Specific countries, i.e. no flexibility at all.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We use insureandgo , their annual policy is for up to 90 days on one trip ( depending on your age).
Within our policy we are covered for a certain number of days skiing and when we have gone for more than the policy ski cover they have allowed us to book an extra policy few days as an ' add-on'.
It may be the case you could do the same for your trip, worth ringing them.

Cannot fault their cover or support as I broke my arm on one ski trip and they were extremely helpful.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Change your travelling "dates" to make it 90 days.

Our travel insurance states that it will cover us for unforeseen delays for up to 7 days.................. They don't ask for dates but do insist that a return crossing has been booked.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Be insured for 90 days and risk the other few when was the last time you needed medical care in the uk unless you have regular problems here why would you there?

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Try the Camping and Caravan Club. We insure with them and have found the cost reasonable.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Be insured for 90 days and risk the other few when was the last time you needed medical care in the uk unless you have regular problems here why would you there?
Not sure I'd do this, very much depends on the policy wording.

I would suspect it doesn't cover trips over 90 days as opposed to "the first 90 days of any trip".

No, I don't know why 90 days is the cut off, but the point is that you should not assume you get ANY for any part of a trip over 90 days.

jansellsbond

Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
Just paid up for travel insurance this morning. Two people 55 / 65 with medical declaration travelling in 30 European countries for 550 days continual travel at £1.20 a day (£655.35) with staysure. No ferry home booked. Similar daily rates for 1 year or less.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Not sure I'd do this, very much depends on the policy wording.

I would suspect it doesn't cover trips over 90 days as opposed to "the first 90 days of any trip".

No, I don't know why 90 days is the cut off, but the point is that you should not assume you get ANY for any part of a trip over 90 days.
Don't book the return crossing until just before coming back so they don't know you are going more than 90 days and don't book the insurance to cover any days getting to/from the ferry/tunnel

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
It could be unwise to rely solely on an EHIC card. The card won’t cover all your medical costs if you need treatment abroad. For example, it won’t cover a flight home in a medical emergency, nor will it cover additional site fees if illness means you cannot return as planned. If the worst happens, EHIC won't pick up a repatriation bill, which could be many thousands of pounds. In addition, the card won't cover cancelled holiday expenses if you fall ill in advance of travel. It's your choice and your risk if you rely on EHIC.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007

My health cover policy states, it's the insured's responsibility to provide all relevant documentation, in the event of a claim. In the case of travel confirmation that would probably mean ferry bookings. They also calculate the 90 days from/to your home, not the port. Scotland looks nice!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Your date of exit (Ferry or tunnel) will be a matter of record (Your booking with the ferry/tunnel company) and the same for your return journey assuming you have a return booking. If not, then your policy will expire automatically after 90 days from you date of departure. This will be dependant on the TOC in your policy as some members have said they are required to provide both dates up front and before they depart. The company I used (when visiting Morocco) just needed the departure date as we were away for more than 90 days so the policy expired when we were in the E.U.but we were covered by the EHIC card.
We do not take out travel insurance whilst in the E.U. the likelihood of one of us requiring repatriation is a very, very, low risk compared to the cost of insurance.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Out of interest, just tried a quote with the above company and with one partner over 65 and high blood pressure and orchestral declared (and all under control through medication) £672.31. I paid less than half of this price when overwintering in Moroc in 2016. It's still a minefield out there with a huge variation in price between different providers

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
There seem to be 2 criteria in deciding which travel insurance policy to choose

1. How cheaply can I get it

2. Which company will supply the best service in the event of making a claim

Sadly we won't know the answer to 2 until it is possibly too late whereas it is far easier to answer 1.

My suggestion is that you find several people who have made claims and compare their experiences.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We do not take out travel insurance whilst in the E.U. the likelihood of one of us requiring repatriation is a very, very, low risk compared to the cost of insurance.

The only claim I have ever made was in Lanzarote (sort of in the EU) - total cost including flying my body home estimated at £14,000. On that occasion not having insurance might be considered an extreme case of penny wise,pound foolish.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back