Travel Insurance Europe purchase/renewal question (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I have 62 days per trip annual travel insurance policy. We are going away on the 7th September. The policy runs out on September 23rd which is in the middle of the trip. This presents a problem as most providers say you cannot start a new policy in the middle of a trip.

I could just renew the present policy but it has gone up a lot in price. Another possibility is to buy a new 45 day policy with a different company which is lot cheaper as we would still get 60 days with a combination of the present and the new.

I am not sure if the 'not starting a policy in the middle of a trip' means the start date or the purchase date. I could purchase a new policy today but to start on the 24th but does that count?

Any knowledge/experience of this out there?

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
We’ve just dealt with this exact same question. The new insurers were happy to take payment for a policy starting when the other expires.

Upvote 0

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
I have 62 days per trip annual travel insurance policy. We are going away on the 7th September. The policy runs out on September 23rd which is in the middle of the trip. This presents a problem as most providers say you cannot start a new policy in the middle of a trip.

I could just renew the present policy but it has gone up a lot in price. Another possibility is to buy a new 45 day policy with a different company which is lot cheaper as we would still get 60 days with a combination of the present and the new.

I am not sure if the 'not starting a policy in the middle of a trip' means the start date or the purchase date. I could purchase a new policy today but to start on the 24th but does that count?

Any knowledge/experience of this out there?
I'd check the policy carefully. They usual say you need to start the trip in the UK. A policy starting while you are away will be starting in a foreign country

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Apologies for any confusion. The boss just told me ours was the van insurance not travel insurance, which may be different.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I'd check the policy carefully. They usual say you need to start the trip in the UK. A policy starting while you are away will be starting in a foreign country

I am sure if I continue the present policy on from last year it would be ok. It should be. It would be mad if it wasn't!!

Upvote 0

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
Our medical travel ins. runs out when we are away but I have renewed with the same company as I too foresaw problems with the start of the hols. having to be from home. If anyone does insure with a different company, it is probably best to cancel the old policy and start the new one as a stand alone policy. There is some difficulty if you are double insured - not least having to pay 2 excesses according to my insurance broker.
Sue

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back