Transfering photos from camera to iPad ? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think that using an Ipad as a storage device for photos isn't practical.

Thanks, have came to the conclusion that a laptop is far more suitable for storage and image editing .. be it Mac or PC. .. what we have always used, just thought the iPad would be lighter and use less power, . .. next best thing is the MacBook Pro which I have and will probably buy for Jan ..

For us anyway, going away is about giving the brain a holiday from social media, forums, email, texts, etc. .. so not interested in using cloud storage facilities while traveling... it also needs a fast dependable connection.. I use at home as it's convenient for sharing, but wouldn't depend on it for storage...

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Jim
I don't store my photos on my iPad but use the following item connected to my iPad to show movies, photos and music I have stored on memory sticks, SD cards and even a 500gb bus powered disc drive. You connect over wifi and just use it.
John

Broken Link Removed

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Doesn't work on my wife's Ipad.

Terry
If you are using a USB cable, try a different one. A few USB cables are for charging only and no good for data.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
With all due respect, as the limit to my photography is the camera on my phone, why not just get a couple of memory cards and snap away to your hearts content then move them over when you get home.
Btw way with my phone I just use google drive and then all my photos that I take with the phone are automatically on my iPad and my android tablet, immediately, simples(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And vica versa , anything I happen to take with the ipad go the other way.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for the replies and suggestions..

If an iPad can't do the most basic of operations without drama, cables, adapters etc .. just not interested ..it's just an expensive browser..

part of the pleasure on holiday (for us anyway) is transferring still images and video to a device, storing, viewing and editing .. it's our hobby.

clearly the iPad is the wrong tool for us..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I get very frustrated with the Ipad and avoid it whenever possible, its a relatively expensive bit of Tec that doesn't do what you want and isn't compatible with the majority of software / hardware available. (IMO).

One of the latest updates required removal of picture etc so she could have sufficient room for the update download, afterwards she was able to reload all the items she had removed! What's all that about?
Terry
Fully agree what a waste of money wished we had never brought one. Biggest problem we find is memory & you can't upgrade it.
As for iCloud who in there right mind would upload their personal documents to someone else's server on the other side of the world.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If an iPad can't do the most basic of operations without drama, cables, adapters etc .. just not interested ..it's just an expensive browser..
Precisely - and that is exactly what Apple themselves admit to.

I had an original ipad and got so frustrated with its limited functions I actually went to one of Apple's tutorials - I asked why is the iPad so restricted, is it me?

Their answer was that it is a device designed to be used in tandem with a desktop/laptop, not in place of. This is/was to protect their laptop/desktop sales.
Which makes sense - why would you buy a pricier MacBook if the iPad did everything ???

They even disabled (in one of the OS updates) some of the functionality of the iPad's lightening connector to stop people using the connectivity kit to connect peripherals such as Apple's own usb keyboard.

Needless to say, I soon dumped the iPad for a fully functional Android tablet.

*To do what you're wanting to do on an Android tablet, I bought one of these:
and a cheap usb SD card reader. Works flawlessly.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nothing to do with the photo thread, but can anyone tell me why if I run Google Earth ipad says its out of memory after 100 yards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back