Trailers Now Illegal In Spain??? (1 Viewer)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
This snippet taken from another thread

A Brit in the Ceuta police station [remember, this is Spain!] was getting very heated because they had to unload their Smart Car and leave trailer as it was not ITV’d [MOT].

Ive posted it here in a new post to aviod going off topic in the original post,

If true what happend to the rule that says what is legal here has to be legal over there
Trailers are NOT subject to MOTs in the UK or am I missing something
Geo

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just thinking out loud ( and I am NO fan of the Spanish police and their legalised theft at gunpoint ) but if the towing vehicle was on spanish plates, perhaps the local rule would apply ?

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just thinking out loud ( and I am NO fan of the Spanish police and their legalised theft at gunpoint ) but if the towing vehicle was on spanish plates, perhaps the local rule would apply ?
That would explain it, he said Brit so I assumed!!!!:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
Hi Geo

I have no idea regarding reason or why and don’t wish to be drawn…….like I say, just the messenger :RollEyes:

But quit coincidently, Debbie has just read my post and tells me……

While I was away she had to meet a British plated Sprinter Van and Trailer in Malaga……They were bringing over some Quad tyres and wheels for ourselves. Late for the meeting the driver explained that both his vehicle and trailer had been stopped and impounded near Estepona. It seemed all was “legal” except the trailer not having ITV/MOT. After much delay and argument he was let on his way WITHOUT the trailer……which was impounded and taken away. I have no further information re reason or outcome.

Ray

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
As far as I know Caravans would also need an itv to be towed in spain. Think it it over a certain age, but almost certainly they will need some sort of certificate to prove they are road worthy. I think this applies to cars/caravans/trailers that are resident in spain and not people from other countriess who are only temporarily in the country.

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Ray Me Ol China
You know me better than that?
I had no intension to draw you into anything, I know you better than that:ROFLMAO:
I was alarmed at the statement as will many others, given the uncertainty of A framing:RollEyes: Now look what you've made me say:Doh:
It now appears that taking anything other than your Motor home is going to attract unwanted and un warranted attention:Eeek:
Can we arm ourselves against the Spanish Police?? is that legal?? (self defence an all that ):Sad:
Geo

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And Yet It Seems
The Moroccans get away with it-
-
-
-
-
-
-
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-n93ZUwafk"]YouTube - donkey trailer overloaded[/ame]

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
it may well depend on the size of the trailer / caravan
in france only trailers up to 750Kg max laden weight can be towed on the number plate of the towing vehicle [ so to speak ] ; standard car insurance will only cover that

anything heavier than that will require separate registration, extra insurance etc

without knowing exactly what ,I know that similar conditions pertain in spain ; a friend of mine tried to register his uk caravan when he moved to spain ....he was refused on the grounds that he could not produce the uk registration papers ..in the end he gave up rather than fight officialdom

as regards to the ...if it's legal at home it is ok there ...argument ; until a european standard was introduced trucks arriving in the uk from countries where a heavier load was permitted were not permitted to drive at that weight in the uk .. I used to ship to and from italy and any italian trucks had to come part loaded if they were maximum size

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
Hi Geo

Of course I did not take it in any way at all….but you know how things can get out of hand on some threads.

I think all [most] of the vehicle problems fall in the gap that the UK and rest of Europe continually finds itself in. I have no idea re Caravans in Spain other than I am sure they need an ITV and registration. Is that the case in the UK? I have euro caravans on some tours, never a document problem at the Moroccan border. But Brit registered nearly always requires explanation and at time a bribe or two!

On the other point……Why should I expect a Spanish police officer to be able to speak English…….OK, I know some do but don’t let on…..How many Brit police speak Spanish. And if, as was the case, I could not read the document explaining why I was getting a 300e fine, what should they do……..let me off?

Anyway……its warm and sunny and I have a week before the next off…….There were more than a few times during the last tour that I thought back to the fantastic MHFun tour last year……….I will tell you about it when I see you in Dec/UK…..

Ray

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi we had a bit of a bump in Barcelona in June, MH & trailer with smart on, the police attended spoke English did not mention the trailer, I did get blamed for the bump even though I did get hit on the back MH corner somehow he missed the trailer not a lot of damage to ours but his was a wreck. I will have to watch out for further info on trailers. Pete:Eeek:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Why don't the messengers of these 'whispers' of information go back to their source to obtain a little more facts or information, some people just love stirring it up.:secret:

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If its Facts you want Mick yer on the wrong site:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
This is FUN
Seriously the information wasn,t posted to stir things up purely for information

I know the original poster personally and he has far better things to do
would you prefer people who did see and hear things or indeed people who have been personally affected in this way to say nowt:Doh:
even if it is only hearsay, maybe it will prompt a response from some one who has had his trailer confiscated but didn't publish in case he was ridiculed:Blush:
Geo

Last edited:

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
There you go Geo...........just as predicted :ROFLMAO:

300 euro fine confirmed the "whisper" for me.................:thumb:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Geo,
Not read any other story with similar details so I can only ask for more details 'please' on MHF.:Smile:
Re:
A Brit in the Ceuta police station [remember, this is Spain!] was getting very heated because they had to unload their Smart Car and leave trailer as it was not ITV’d [MOT].

Did your source read of this incident in the local paper, if so which one or was it just bar side gossip or personal information :winky: friendly Spanish Cop........if there is such a person?:roflmto:

Thanks.

Mick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back