Trailers (Not Films)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Another Lesley, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Another Lesley

Another Lesley Read Only Funster

I have the Motorhome :BigGrin:, bought a dainty little Hyundai to tow behind,:BigGrin: now all I need is a trailer for it. Does anyone have any recomendations of a good maker/supplier please? I live in the North East so would prefer one a bit local. Also....is it easy to drive onto a trailer? I have never done it and confess to being a tad nervous.:Blush:

2. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Brian james are one of the market leaders but not sure where they a situated

3. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Brian james and ifor williams are the market leaders but not sure where either are situated

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

cant help with a supplier Lesley, but i couple of points to check on.

VOSA are stopping more and more motorhomes to check weights and if overlaoded they can stop you going any further and fine you.

so you should check your maximum trailer allowance.
    it should be on the chsssis/vin plate under the bonnet.

deduct the GVW (usually the top number) from the train weight GCVW (usually the bottom number), the answer is the total trailer allowance which includes the trailer load and the trailers own weight.

the trailers maximum loaded weight is the figure which is required....even if it isnt loaded.

i would suspect your trailer allowance will be around 2000kg.

point two....your licence
    if you took your test pre jan 1997 you should be able to tow a trailer of just about any weight if the tow vehicle allows that weight.

post jan 1997 you need to take a separate trailer towing test to tow over 750kg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I have a Brian James Trailer for my Peugeot 107, a quality unit , picked it up from their premises at Daventry.:thumb:

www.brianjames.co.uk/

PS in UK I normally use an A Frame for convenience

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  6. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

Well the law on towing post Jan 97 is 750kg
    But you can tow a heavier trailer if the combined weight is no more then 3500kg
    But I guess that would mean one small motorhome :Rofl1:

7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

The GVW might be 3500kg but the GTW will be more and could possibly allow a trailer above 750kg.

8. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

If you passed your test post Jan 97 but pre Jan 13 you can tow a trailer upto 750kg behind your 3500kg Motorhome (a total weight of 4250kg). The ability to tow a 750kg trailer on a 3500kg van was removed in Jan 2013.

In both situations you can tow a trailer exceeding 750kg but then the combined weight of 3500kg does apply - as no doubt it would apply to the OP if he is towing a car on a trailer.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driving-licence-rules-and-what-you-can-tow

• Like Like x 1
  9. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

10. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

Might be worth hiring one for a day,usually about £35, see how you get on.
    We used a trailer for the first time last week and found it a bit of a pain ,especially strapping the car on in the rain. At least by hiring one you can test your confidence before buying as they are not cheap!
    P.S. we went down the other route, but I won't start that discussion again :Doh:

11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Don't forget that your towing limit will have to be for both the car and the trailer. A lot of motorhomes are close to the limit just with a car on an a frame, especially if the GVW has been uprated. Every increase in GVW comes off the towable weight (the train weight stays the same). This is why tag axle vans can tow very little if anything.

12. aba

aba

also take in to consideration what the trailers gross plated weight is as if this is higher than the difference between the gross weight and the gross train weight of the towing vehicle you are automatically over weight even if the trailer is empty.