TowTal .. A report on my tow bar

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jaws, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I was never going to say anything but after what I have found recently...........

Just a straight forward factual report.

When it was fitted I asked for it to be any shape except the big 3 x 3 box section

Request ignored and 3 x 3 box section used

On the way home from having it fitted I started getting flashed by a car behind.
    Stopped and found the wiring loom for the rear lights had been unclipped and was left dangling. I ended up having to repair the damage caused by it scrapping on the floor

When I looked underneath I found it had been painted and then handled with greasy hands while the paint was still wet

All of the above is sort of 'oh well' doodoo happens' type stuff, and I have just accepted it

But then..........................

Due to the pretty hopeless paint job on it I decided to take it off and get it powder coated.

Started to undo it and it was then I discovered the most forward mounting bolts had been drilled through a box section made from 12 gauge plate ( just an extension piece of chassis supporting the garage ) and then simply bolted up, resulting in the thin plate box section chassis member being crushed in.

At no point does the tow bar connect in any way shape or form to the van chassis, only the thin alko type chassis members and up through the garage floor

It was at that point I thought it worth mentioning the workmanship on here.
    It would seem you do not get an awful lot for £495.00.

Oh, DesNdonna also went there.. The paint on their bar was so bad it just cracked up and started to flake off within 4 months.

2. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Fabulous !...I will make sure I use them when I get mine fitted... its always good to realise that British craftmanship is alive and well...........do they do TOADS too ???

thanks for the useful feedback:Smile:

barry

• Like Like x 4
  3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I suspect they employ them as fitters :Angry:

• Like Like x 4
  4. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

bugger, they were on my shortlist, back to the phone book:Doh:

5. muz

muz Read Only Funster

towtal

i can honestly say i have never had a problem with towtal at stoke.i have used them over a few years,i have had four cars fitted with a frames and one car towbar.i am sure if you have a word with them they will sort everything for you.i have no connections with them i just found them very proffesional from the first a frame.muz

6. Ivys

Ivys Read Only Funster

We moved from a Towtal rig to tb2tc and never looked back.
    Our old Towtal frame is sitting rusting in our lean-to.

7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I tried to speak to Bill about the wiring hanging down.. Got short shrift so doubt VERY much it was worth pursuing the more serious issue of the chassis damage or the abysmal paint job.. I have absolutely NO doubt at all he would poo poo it or simply deny it

But that is purely conjecture and I wished to keep the post factual, so please do not take this post as anything more than a personal guess

8. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

Sorry to hear this as our experience has been completely the opposite. They did a superb job on our towbar and our A frame - both still in perfect order 4 years, nearly 5, down the line. Bill was really helpful and we have no paint problems or indeed any other issues with the towbar or the Smart's A frame conversion.......

Perhaps the business has just grown too big and the fitters who did yours were useless......its a shame, either way, as I really liked their towbar and A frame, it was much nicer (only an opinion of course) than the Chris Cox one we had seen. :Sad::Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

I don't understand how someone can publish a damning and personal comment such as this and then try and then try and justify it by writing that it is 'purely conjecture' and the readers - and it IS a public forum so there are potentially thousands - should 'not take this post as anything more than a personal guess' !

If you have a complaint to make then it should be made to the company concerned and they should have at least the opportunity to comment if not put the matter right for the complainant. It is simply not good enough to say that your complaint wouldn't have been appropriately dealt with HAD you complained.

Usual disclaimer that I have no connection with Towtal - not even as a customer - but that I am appalled by the injustice and damage caused to a business by ill considered posts.

• Like Like x 3
  10. GIBLA53

GIBLA53 Read Only Funster

Towtal

I totally agree with the sentiments of SQUIRE I frequently have used them for towbars,A-frames,Scootracks etc. and have always had a good experience with them and of course both Bill's are stars. I read the initial thread and actually sent an e-mail to Towtal warning them of "public character assassination" , i do remember when i first joined the forum that public slagging off is not allowed ...... legal consequences!!!

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  11. Spannerman007

Spannerman007

Towtal

I am sorry that you had such a bad time with Towtal.When I had my towbar fitted by them they made a superb job. It was powder coated and was securely bolted to the chassis. They even incorporated a carrier to mount the spare wheel into it.

Spannerman007

• Like Like x 2
  12. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Woha!
    What's going on here
    I certainly appreciate service reports and as this thread shows there seems to be more happy customers than unhappy ones
    No reason to suspect what has been reported is anything other than factual
    the only conjecture and guesswork here is the anticipated response to complaints, and even that is based on an attempt to discuss the problem
    Its seems to me
    Shoddy paintwork-----Fact
    Electric cables damaged by being left unsecured ---Fact
    Tow Bar mounts fitted without proper anti crush tubes ---|Fact
    Shoddy workmanship to say the least and Dangerous mounting practise (Basic Engineering practices ignored)
    Reason for complaint I'd say so
    I'll finish by saying I regard Towtal as one of the better companies, I dont know what went wrong here But Jaws is entitled to his comments:thumb:
    Geo

• Like Like x 15
  13. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Something clearly went wrong here. I had one of the first A frames they made, fitted to a 1991 Fiat Panda. Its as good today as when it was first fitted.
    A friend had a purpose made towbar fitted to his old S class Hymer and after it was fitted I examined the workmanship and can honestly say I was impressed, May I add am not impressed easily. Something has obviously gone amiss in this instance and I think it only fair that Tow-Tal be informed and given the chance to put things right. Am just in the process of making enquiries regarding a custom made towbar myself,so will watch the outcome of this thread.

14. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

We still have freedom of speach the last time I looked

We still have freedom of speech the last time I looked.

Jaws report is fair comment. if he is stating facts and I have no reason to suspect he is not then his remarks are fair comment and legal.

It only becomes an issue of liable or slander (if spoken) if the facts are untrue or made up. The law fully protect fair comment.

We need reports when things go wrong as much as praise when it is good.

I will always protect freedom of speech. Jim has no fears on this one. Jaws has not said anything he needs to worry about.

I would suggest he puts his complaint in writing and ask how they would like to deal with the issues. If he does not get any luck.. then he can p.m. me and I will advise him of his legal rights and how to proceed.

There is a little thing called Sale of Goods Act and if it is not fit for purpose then Jaws may have a legal case. He does not have to give the company the right to repair or amend it. He can reject it within reasonable time and get his money back. If he allows them to repair it then he can seek his reasonable out of pocket expenses from the company.

I have had no dealings with this company and know nothing about them. But the law is very clear on faulty goods or bad workmanship.

I have read many posts by Jaws, I do not always agree with his views, but I do beleive he is being factual in his post.

Bob

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
    • Like Like x 6
  15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I am happy to accept that I was merely unlucky on my three issue.
    My son in law, Des, had his fitted there too and the fitting is perfectly acceptable, only the paint job was poor on his..

I can further accept that a 'drive in and drive out in one day service' does bring about issues with paint and accept that it would actually be pretty much impossible to powder coat a towbar on a one day fitting service.

I will also say that in the interests of fairness I have spoken to several folk in the past year and would say there are many happy customers as well as some not so happy.

I have made no mention of anyones character and will not. Nor, as mentioned elsewhere have I stated any untruths.

My van is sitting outside my house and ANYONE is most welcome to inspect the work at any time. The damage to the chassis is pretty much unrepairable without major works so will not be changed or altered in any way.
    I have made up a couple of tube spacers for the forward mounting point now as quite obviously it was not safe to leave as was..... But the chassis is still bent in for all to see.

As a by the by, I do seem to remember when I mentioned the wiring issue to Bill, he said that someone who had only just recently started with him had done the job on my van...

It is certainly possible that I fell foul of someone with little experience and who had done the job unsupervised.. Again, this is merely conjecture and not in any way presented as factual

I thought long and hard about this report.
    It was not done lightly......................

Squire, if you would like to PM me I will be very happy to explain exactly why I did not speak further to the company

And no matter what, bottom line is I have reported only on the job done on my own van and my son in laws van.

There is no guessing about those facts.. not at all....

• Like Like x 2
  16. RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE Funster

I know this is a old thread but i was thinking of having a tow bar and solar panel fitted at towtal,but i'm not sure after reading the above posts !!!!!!
    Anybody had any recent dealing with them ???

17. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I've had two fitted by Watlings. The second was a referral from another tow bar fitter as they weren't confident about doing a good job with the lightweight chassis extensions. Pleased with both jobs.

18. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

I am very glad that I am still able to build my own tow bars motorcycle frames for our vans. There was me thinking £39 for steel to build tow bar and £ 7 for welding rods was expensive. Also upgraded my welder to an inverter welder. B&Q selling off shop soiled one for £45 and used my 10% card to get another £4.50 off. Now in the process of converting it to motorcycle carry frame. Steel gone up £52 this time. By what I have read I am on a winner.

steve & ann. ----------- teensvan

• Like Like x 2
  19. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

hope you get it fixed John. there is always .a know it all around some where.

20. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

This may be down to ONE sloppy worker, and we know most firms have one or two of those. The boss should however be prepared to at least check it out and rectify the shortfall in the workmanship.