Towbar Dirt Catchers - any good?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by GAVLAD, Oct 15, 2014.

1. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

Hi

Is a dirt catcher (ones that look like a big brush) attached to a tow bar any good?
    Are they worthwhile?

2. Drain man

Drain man Read Only Funster

Hi, I had one fitted to the bus by PWS when they fitted the tow bar, the dirt skirt came from SDG in South Wales it works well keeping road mess off the bikes I carry on my Thule bike rack which has got an underskirt fitted.

Attached Files:

3. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

Ours is very effective at keeping the front of the toad clean, and saves us having to clean the windscreen every time we unhitch having driven in poor weather. (y)

4. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Yes very good... (y)

But make sure it is off the ground a few inches, otherwise it will flick stones up onto the front of the "Toad"..:(

I know some one who fitted one when they had a Yank RV and that is exactly what happened...

And had to spend hours touching up the little stone chips... :whistle2::doh::blush:

• Like Like x 1
  5. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I fitted one and it was very effective at sweeping the M11 and spreading salt and grit all over the toad!:doh::swear2:

One day I will get around to refitting it, but as Mo says I will cut it a little shorter.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Yes, will help stop stones hitting the toad.. but won't completely eliminate the spray so it will still need a wash after towing in foul weather.. so IMO of limited value.. more help to following vehicles..

.. from Duncan at Star Spangled Spanner; SPLASH STOP 22" TRIM

I actually removed mine from the RV as I didn't like the look of it..

• Like Like x 1
  7. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Always reminds us of the underarms of German ladies you see on the beach, I should probably get one for the Burstner then :D
    Recently fitted some of those "bristly" mud flaps to the back of ours and panelled in the rear bumper with some pvc cladding I had around, keeps the crud off the rear lights and wiring, got the idea off here too, Techno maybe ? thanks anyway !