Tow Bar Wiring in Tupperware Box!! (1 Viewer)

Hellboy

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Funster No
http://[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/firel3lade/media/IMG_20161029_125157.jpg.html]Link RemovedWe went to look at a newly new Chausson today which had a Memo type approved tow bar fitted...
I was quite surprised to find they had wired the bypass relay into a Tupperware box and screwed it under the floor...
It didn't look very waterproof so not sure how long before electrical problems would start...

[ATTACH=full]130760[/ATTACH]

OP
OP
Hellboy

Hellboy

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Funster No
I agree...one big pothole and I guess the lid would be off and the relay would be on the road...:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
http://[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/firel3lade/media/IMG_20161029_125157.jpg.html]Link RemovedI was quite surprised to find they had wired the bypass relay into a Tupperware box and screwed it under the floor...[/QUOTE]

It just might be adequate but sure ass hell it is far from professional. Demand a proper screw top electrical box with proper glands are fitted.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
About as good as it gets from the average skilled technician / converter. I had no idea waterproof electrical boxes could be re-purposed as food containers. I'd be tempted to ask the dealer what he thought of it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
While many poopoo such things, over the years I have used the idea many times.. OK, not in an automotive way but for garden light connections they are perfect !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It may not have been the towbar fitters who did it ... if it was on a Ford base then they all (AFAIK) come pre-wired with the electrics/connector, our Chausson certainly did, so all that was needed was the actual tow bar itself fitting, in which case it may be the previous owner who used the 'faux' Tupperware box to give it some protection.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
While many poopoo such things, over the years I have used the idea many times.. OK, not in an automotive way but for garden light connections they are perfect !
True, I've done the same - in one MH when I installed an inverter I put the in-line fuse in the battery compartment and to protect it (just in case) I used an old clear plastic glasses case which fitted the available space perfectly.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
IP67 Adaptor boxs about £4 and correct for the application, why would the dealer not fit one and possible lose a deal for £40k, madness

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
http://[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/firel3lade/media/IMG_20161029_125157.jpg.html]Link RemovedI was quite surprised to find they had wired the bypass relay into a Tupperware box and screwed it under the floor..[/QUOTE]

Actually, on second look, the shock of the tupperware box diverted us from the real problem, look to the left, at least two wires that would rub through on the chassis.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just as a demonstration of how worthwhile genuine tupperware boxes are, when my main hobby was amateur radio and 'things electronic', I built an awful lot of projects in to them..
One notable occasion was in an RF amplifier ( from memory a pair of 4CX250B triodes for anyone interested.. ) The anode voltage was ramped up to about 4kV..
No matter what I did, when used in the field ( it was built for VHF competition work ) I would get an occasional arc when things started getting damp around 3 am !! )

In the end I mounted all the transformer, associated components in a tupperware box that was then placed in another tupperware box giving me an air gap sealed insulated barrier..
Worked like a treat !! Mind you, the corona you could see coming off the stretched G2BCX 16 ele antenna in the night was a thing of wonder !
Me ? Running a couple of kW up the stick ?? Nooo.. must have been someone else !!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well to my farmers eyes it looks a proper job, the area looks dry and clean and the thing that's inside was probably meant to just be there without a box , so it's just extra protection, agree about the wires on the chassis though, and it's probably the extra box that's caused that by pushing them across.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just as a demonstration of how worthwhile genuine tupperware boxes are,!

I still have an RC boat I built 50 years ago, for the electrics hatch we used a Tupperware lid, stuffed fibreglass cloth into the joint then bonded that to the rest of the fibreglass boat. New let any of us down. And with a 10cc well tuned motor that boat certainly took a hammering.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It might have been fine, or it might not. However if they are willing to bodge that in such a harsh environment what else was bodged and how badly? I would have walked away from that van as well...

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
Proper industrial sealed boxes are available in painted diecast ali or glassfibre, but let's be honest, caravan dealers don't deal with those kind of parts or suppliers, and as long as something is available fairly cheaply they will use it.

There probably isn't a standard for the job, the Rubbolite junction boxes always seem to leak, so they've probably done the best they can.

Peter

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Proper industrial sealed boxes are available in painted diecast ali or glassfibre, but let's be honest, caravan dealers don't deal with those kind of parts or suppliers, and as long as something is available fairly cheaply they will use it.

There probably isn't a standard for the job, the Rubbolite junction boxes always seem to leak, so they've probably done the best they can.

Peter
If that is their best I'll continue to steer clear. It's a bodge of the worst order. If they aren't familiar with available options they should not take on the work. I don't know what is above or close to that area but a better option would have been to mount everything indoors. On the other hand if the bypass relay and its connections are designed for outdoors then the box is simply a water trap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back