Tow bar Troubles

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Greenacres, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Greenacres

Greenacres Funster

Hello fellow travellers. Help required please.
    No matter which ferry we board or disembark from, there is always that sickening sound of the towbar grinding along the deck and the scraping sound of the stainless steel unraveling
    off the bar itself.
    Is there a company who make a towbar which which sits higher from the ground or is a Burstner Travel Van already too low at the rear to support electric bikes and the their rack?
    Thankyou.

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

possibly just down to being too long on the overhang .
    60%is really the max as a rule of thumb .

3. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Sounds like a job for Air Suspension

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Quite a few of the older R-V`s had Rollers on the rear chassis or the Draw bar, for this very reason, Long overhangs are always an issue on ferry ramps. I put a Groove in the tarmac outside a Service bay once!, coming off the four post ramp. Completely Destroyed a Trailer Jockey wheel too, at Dover circa 2002!. Brian James Freighted one to a French camp-site, BUT I couldn't unhitch until it Arrived!!! caused some "fun" that did Parking in Aires and the like.

Pete

5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

The centre of the towball is a standard height 350-420mm from ground to centre of ball and must not drop more that 25mm with vehicle fully laden.
    As said air assist on the suspension probably your best option.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

7. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

My Hymer did touch its bum coming off a ferry ramp , very slight and watched by the loading officer. I looked and it was the bottom of the waste tank straps which are inboard a bit. I noticed others of the same type that had rubbed the fibreglass bits right through to the foam.
    I have fitted a set of cheapy airbags for £320 and they raise the rear by 3 inches also fitted towbar extensions bar for a later towbar fitting, that will now touch first so I am going to fit small nylon wheels on the rear of them. Don't fit too much weight in the garage helps.

8. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

I don't believe that fitting rollers or wheels at the back is a good idea, I may be wrong but you could do a lot of damage by putting stress on somewhere that is not designed for it.

9. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I have just fitted a tricycle rack and by coincidence also just had air suspension fitted also. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that the air suspension can raise the rear end quite considerably. Even at just 40 psi mine raised 1" at the axle and although I've not measured it that has to be a couple of inches at the tow bar taking overhang into account.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Autowbars

Autowbars Funster

I fitted two steel rollers to the underside of the towbar longtitudals, works GREAT.
    Instead of putting undue strain on the towbar it now runs over the boarding ramps, a bit bumpy usually.
    Hull to Zeebrugge and back last two weeks not a problem.

11. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Better off a bit of weight on a steel bar built like a Brick Shi++++se than to bang the back of a plastic body, The bar goes on to the chassis. so the forces are better there. Better if the designer made them clear a reasonable height.

12. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

As a matter of interest was anything being towed at the time?
    Always a problem with two axle vans is on seven meters + there is too much overhang !

13. PeteH

PeteH Funster

As Previously Stated, the major issue is more often the length of the overhang. Air suspension May affect a partial cure. But as someone who used to work on Ro-Ro Ferries I have seen some spectacularly STEEP ramps, dependant upon Tidal conditions!. Some ports 30degrees is NOT impossible!. We discharged 40+ of Gadaffi`s small armoured "Tanks" once at Tripoli. they got off ONLY because they where tracked vehicles!, and even then where sliding all over the place on the steel ramp decking!.

Pete