"Tourist eagle" meets a proper one ....

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by Campercaillie, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Campercaillie

Campercaillie Read Only Funster

Visitors to The Highlands and Islands will no doubt be aware of the "tourist eagle" - the buzzard, a lovely bird in its own right, but one which is frequently mistaken for its bigger cousin. And yes, it can be difficult, but up close there is no mistake - This is a shot of a male white-tailed sea-eagle (the female is a tad bigger) being mobbed by a buzzard, taken earlier this month in the Outer Hebrides......

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We have a lot of buzzards and red kites around us, but I'm always surprised to see a buzzard being mobbed by a few crows/rooks........given the size of a buzzard compared to the size of the crows. But I suppose that's mob culture for you.......

3. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

I like that expression tourist eagle, can only agree after having at least 2 people tell me they've seen goldies when up in scotland.....

it's a great shot showing the huge difference although as you say it's all too easy to make a mistake at distance.

White tails are on my list and at some point we'll be up there buzzard spotting;)