Touring at Home vs Travelling in Abroad (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I was asked whether I prefer to motorhome in the UK or across the channel.
I answered that question.
I didn't ask for some smart arsed snotty snide comment like yours.
You don't know anything about me or about why I choose to live here so back off with your "advice"
i did make the comment it was not about you as in person . read it again it was a general advice open for many .
i know nothing about you other than you do seem angry.
do calm down it wasnt ment to be personal.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
We enjoy touring in both the UK and abroad, just been round Scotland again. Our problem is that Dover is 500 miles away.
Over 600 miles for me to get to Folkstone so for now, The UK is where we will tour. Made it to the Cotswolds last week then toured back up to ABZ, approx 1200 miles in total. Would like to try France next year but could waste so many days travelling there and back. Needs a bit of planning methinks. (y)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
For us we are quite happy doing eigher, just being out and about in the van is good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So far this year we've had 66 UK nights in the van and it would have been more if we didn't have other calls on our time. Not one night has been on a site (apart from a couple of rallies at/adjacent to a site). We've never had a problem finding somewhere, never had to use 2 parking bays or beware of height limits. We've always been within walking distance of amenities and/or public transport and it's averaged out well under a tenner a night.

Seeing as I've never had any inclination to go abroad when there is so much to enjoy in this country (and Jill agrees with me) I can't see any reason to change :)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We've only had MH 3 years and haven't ventured abroad in it yet but truth be told no great inclination to do it. Still many places up here and England to visit and haven't touched Wales or Ireland yet, maybe helps that I don't crave the sun.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Steve, this year, to save on traveling days , we took the ferry from North Shields ( Newcastle ) and toured Holland instead of France or Germany. Had a great time, lovely place, but the ferry was very expensive compared to the channel. You could save a couple of days by using it and start your holiday a day early.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Have done a lot of overseas touring in the past but are staying in the UK at present due to circumstances...... maybe France or Benelux next year, will have to see what next year brings.

We will probably use the ferry from Newcastle or Hull :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Abroad in winter months and at home for summer,have just bought LHD because we are doing more in Europe than home and intend doing Finland to arctic circle next summer

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
We leave for an 8 week tour of Europe, France, Belgium and the Netherlands next week. We did Germany and Luxembourg in April. Last year we did much the same but never tire of it. Once we cross the channel almost everything is cheaper than the UK, fuel, food, wine and beer, eating out is cheaper too. Motorhoming is the best thing ever, especially if you are retired, our dogs love it too. We did a year of holidaying in the UK but it is so expensive, the caravan club charge about £25 a night in Europe we pay €14 a night with our ACSI card. We also use Aires often at no cost most often costing no more than €5 a night. I've asked this question before, why does it cost an arm and a leg to camp overnight in your own van at most UK campsites? Is it the cost of land or as I suspect rip off Britain.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've asked this question before, why does it cost an arm and a leg to camp overnight in your own van at most UK campsites? Is it the cost of land or as I suspect rip off Britain.
As posted previously, 66 nights so far this year at less than a tenner a night.

Arm & a leg? Rip off? Not at all, it's simply a matter of finding the right places.
Oh, and there are also no ferry costs and no extra diesel for driving so far :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've asked this question before, why does it cost an arm and a leg to camp overnight in your own van at most UK campsites?

simple.. supply and demand.. capitalism at work..

year on year the number of pitches is reducing, coupled with the rise in popularity of camping and more people staying in the UK for holidays.. prices will inevitably rise.. Campsites are businesses, not a public service, so owners will charge whatever the market supports..

Also, we need to compare like with like.. an Aire is not a campsite

In the high season, continental sites are just as expensive if not more so than UK sites and popular Aires are not cheap.. for example, Mimizan Plage is now 14.50 for what is basically an overcrowded car park with vans almost touching.. as is Honfleur.. an expensive and crowded dusty car park..

The best value sites in France are Municipals, but they are gradually being closed or bought by private developers for up-market campsites ..

Many sites both here and abroad are out of our budget.. but there are still CLs/CSs and small sites that are reasonably affordable..
I draw the line at £15 per night with EHU or £12 without.. but can see the figure being revised.. sooner rather than later :(

I think many buy a van thinking it will mean endless cheap holidays .. they soon get a reality check..It's not a cheap hobby..

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
At home or abroad? Mmmmmm, let me think. At this very moment, we are pitched in Derbyshire, it's dark, it's raining, it's cold, and it's expensive.........................

Craig

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I think the matter of cost depends on how often you go away in your van and why. If you only go away 2 or 3 times a year for fortnight each time then quite frankly the cost of sites really does not matter.

If only the other hand you spend long periods away then it all adds up :eek:

We don't like campsites and take the view that with all our own facilities on board they have nothing to offer us. Also we 'tour' in our van, rarely stopping more than one night in the same place so the idea of spending £20 to £30 just to sleep in our own van is simply unpalatable :eek:

The UK is indeed expensive however we still manage to find quiet places where we can discreetly 'night stop' for free (y) If we can't do this then next best is either cheap CL's (must be under a tenner maximum) or a Brit Stop if one is nearby.

In France touring is SO much easier, less stressful and considerably cheaper. We simply stop at a convenient Aire which is nearly always free :)

I do like the UK (recently completed a 4 week tour of Cornwall) but..........................

We're off to France in a couple of weeks or so;)

Nuff said?? :rolleyes:

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
I like Britain and rarely pay more than £10 a night and will not entertain the sites that charge extra because you over 21 ft in length but my friends with 18ft caravans and a car get charged less, but I suppose thats another thread lol.
We set off in November on a 12 months career break most of it abroad where its warmer and motorhomes recieve a warmer welcome. :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Usually abroad, but have been back in UK for 8 weeks now after 8 weeks abroad, and have a new puppy without a passport yet, so crossing the channel will wait till next spring. Off to Glastonbury week after next (If I get my van back from Johns Cross - fridge problem) and New Forest in December.

Even staying in the less expensive places I do find it costs a lot for basically a parking place with water and a dump point. Never use site showers and rarely toilets so prefer places without facilities as see no point in paying for something we don't use.

Aires are great, and although the popular ones can be expensive, we tend to avoid those, because they are popular and full of people. A bit of solitude is what is needed.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm loving the comparisons between "ripoff" Britain full amenities Club Sites and the wonderful limited facility but cheaper Euro carpark... Not exactly comparing like with like :rolleyes:.
Now I don't have a wealth of experience but my Britstops have been free, a CL was only a fiver, Lyndon Top £7, a football club in the heart of the Cotswolds £10, and the two Caravan Club Sites (which were chosen for location location location) were under £20 & offered discount on attached attraction.
I don't feel in any way exploited.

There may very well be reasons (weather?) that funsters prefer Europe to the UK, but the cost of pitching up shouldn't be one of them.

Comparing Apples & Oranges :cooler:.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I was mulling this very question over when lay by the pool this afternoon in 29 degrees at La Rochelle after sitting in the van in the UK watching it rain Saturday and Sunday.
Better weather. It cost 55 quid to fill the van rather than 90.... Food is cheaper..

I love most of the UK but the weather was just so bad this year it drove us over the water. Time is the most precious and vital commodity we have. Why waste it..

Have fun wherever you are.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
And another thing! In France you can stop (reasonably speaking) anywhere on a public road/space and sleep in your camping car overnight............ it is a divine right!

Here in the UK you can NOT do that legally ................ France....more laid back = more fun (y)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Actually, whilst I am having a rant..... The roads in the UK are often busy and congested. Fuel is expensive. Alcohol is exorbitant ..............

and NOTHING beats French bread and cheese (err and the butter's damn good too!)

Yup! I'm ranting! ..... FRANCE IS BEST for motorhome travel (y)(y)(y) :france:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And another thing! In France you can stop (reasonably speaking) anywhere on a public road/space and sleep in your camping car overnight............ it is a divine right!

Here in the UK you can NOT do that legally ................ France....more laid back = more fun (y)
Oh yes you can. Overnighting at the road side is only illegal where restrictions have been put in place, the default is legal. See http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/roads.htm

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Oh yes you can. Overnighting at the road side is only illegal where restrictions have been put in place, the default is legal. See http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/roads.htm
That rambling link doesn't tell me anything other than you didn't get a clear answer. But if there was clear answer hidden in the blow by blow account a summary of it would be helpful. :)

Having had a knock on the door from the police in the early hours the reality is the practice is generally frowned upon here in my experience.

We are off to France tomorrow!:france:

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
60% of my UK overnighting is street parking. It suits my circumstances and needs. Often in residential areas and ideally flank wall parking. I don't need a site with facilities, just somewhere to park. Arrive late and depart early works for me. Never been knocked up or moved on.
However, it's so much more unregulated across the Channel.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Now regrettably single,UK for me at the moment. I explore my own country speaking my own language and meet up with many folks on varied sites rarely more than £12 a night. My wife and I toured Europe extensively and her language skills were invaluable. Me, on my own, with rusty schoolboy French only, is disadvantaged. Yes, I have done "foreign" spending six weeks in Spain and Morocco but I did miss that relaxing wine chilled evening over a good meal reflecting on the day's events.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back