Tour of Germany and MH dealers

Discussion in 'Germany' started by funflair, Nov 6, 2015.

1. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Well not really a Grand Tour but we decided to attend the annual Niesmann+Bischoff factory bash at Polch in Germany, the event is the first weekend in November and is open to all comers, no booking is required and no money changes hands, you don't have to arrive with a Niesmann van but beware you might leave with one.

We travelled for the first time on the Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry as it is closer to home and was cheaper than the Hull crossing, also being Amsterdam it means we can have a few nights there on the way home, the ferry was nice and level to get onto and the selection of things to eat was better that the Hull crossings so all good.

As I missed Dusseldorf show this year I was feeling in desperate need of my annual fix of looking at nice vans and really fancied calling in at Vario-Mobil to see what they had in the showroom, they responded very quickly to my e-mail enquiry and confirmed showroom stock. To cut a long story short we had a lovely drive through the Netherlands to Bohmte near Osnabruck where the Vario factory is.

At the factory we were met by an English speaking sales and deliberations guy and he took us into the factory while they finished washing the Star 800 as it had been out on a road test. The factory was very interesting as they hand build everything to your design so no two vans are ever the same. The chassis work is in one area and the body in another, all the external surfaces of the Vario are fibreglass which for the sides comes in on a big roll and is vacuume pressed to the foam insulation before being bonded to the front and rear moulding and finally painted, all in house. Once the body is built they manufacture the interior furniture from a tree, all to the customers design including full wood veneer locker doors with the grain matching all around the van. When they are happy with everything it all comes out to be sprayed with lacquer. Finally the vehicle is trimmed in your choice of soft furnishing and you pick it up from the factory, YES these are not the cheapest vans in the world but you are getting something very special that you can design yourself right from the start.

If you want a look http://www.vario-mobil.com/index.html

After visiting the factory showroom we could have stayed outside their gates but they suggested the guard dogs might keep us awake so we moved about 20 miles down the road to Lotte and stayed behind the tennis hall.

On next destination still on the way to Polch was Durwang at Dortmund a big dealer for the Hymer and N+B marques, the showroom puts our UK offerings to shame and had a large stock of Hymer group vans at sensible prices.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Lots of used vans outside.

image.jpg This one is a rare Hymer liner built in the N+B factory on an Iveco chassis to a Flair layout but with Hymer mouldings and cupboard fronts.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 13
  2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Excellent report keep it coming!:) Vario are something else....

3. funflair

Didn't take any photos in the Vario factory as I didn't think it would be right so you will have to make do with this. http://www.vario-mobil.com/de/Wohnm...il/_3070_Star 800 MB Sprinter 519 CDI 4x4.pdf

This is the Star 800 that we saw in the showroom, on a Merc Sprinter as you can see, it's a touch smaller than our Flair but only 0.5 metre on the length and about 200 mm in the height but it seemed to have a lot less space in the garage and underfloor which it doesn't have being on the Merc, I also can't help but think that the big Mercedes dashboard takes up a lot of space compared to the IVECO. The interior is Quality but this one not to our taste, I like this better. http://www.vario-mobil.com/de/Wohnm...RIOmobil/_3062_Perfect850SH_MAN TGL8220BL.pdf

But not sure about the price!!.

4. funflair

Arrived at the N+B factory on Wednesday evening after horrendous traffic around Cologne as all 3.5t + vehicles had to detour around the Rhine bridge on the main A1.

Thursday dawned a beautiful day and got up to 20 degrees.
    image.jpg The factory is on the right and the field is filling up for the weekend.
    image.jpg New vans are inside and stacks of used outside.

5. Oriel

Oriel

Lovely! I've never heard of Vario.

6. Judge Mental

Autotrail hand built to customer's specification apparently..AND have an oven!:D

• Like Like x 1
  7. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster

Scrolling through the link, thinking to myself how much I liked the vario... Thoughts of yes, yes, yes going through my head and wondering how to break to Swmbo that the Hymer order might need cancelling.

Then I got to the price :pinocchio: so all is well and the Hymer order is safe.

Lovely looking van though :clap:

• Like Like x 1
  8. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 3
  9. Judge Mental

You would have to leave forum and rejoin as Milliethevario:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. funflair

Cheers Jock

The Perfect is 2.5 wide and taller still but quite a tool all the same.

Next year Jock.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  11. funflair

Go to Dusseldorf show, proper eye opener.

I like the fibreglass sides that they use 2 mm thick, no wonder they are heavy! Then they are all painted no stickers.

Last forever, as do the payments:LOL:

Martin

• Like Like x 3
  12. funflair

Just had a bit walk around.

image.jpeg That's us in the middle of picture.
    image.jpeg A selection on the hard standing, which fills up well before the weekend.
    image.jpeg IVECO chassis lined up waiting to be built on, each one is allocated to a customer as it is already customised some with jacks some with air suspension etc etc.
    image.jpeg Couple of finished vans in the showroom.
    image.jpeg Great use of space for storage on the Flair, this is where N+B win over Concorde for me.
    image.jpeg This puts an end to draughty dash vents in the Fiat based Arto.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Oriel

Oriel

Very interesting - we'd love to have gone over to the show but time constraints made it impossible.

I hadn't realised until recently how the new vehicles are allocated. We found that its quite difficult to get a 'slot' in the production line.

14. funflair

A few used bargain outside.

image.jpeg A 2014 Flair with 9,500 km for just over £90k
    image.jpeg A 2007 Clou liner, hand built on a Mercedes truck chassis under 7.5t and under £80k

Some nice older vans for 25 or 30k, might show you more later if you behave yourselves.

If all this excitement is still not enough for you it is about 400 metres walk to Niesmann camping (no connection to N+B) who are a dealer for Concorde amongst others, so to conclude a veritable smorgasbord of motorhome delectation.

Martin

• Like Like x 4
  15. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

As much as I do like the shiny chrome look of the new models, I do wonder how it will look in a few years time, ie, chrome effect on plastic just isn't the same as pukka chrome. :(

Oooh, yes please Martin. :)
    I thought you were in Germany? ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Hotelman

Hotelman Funster

Wow, wow wow, really jealous, may a trip for next year, or maybe pop in when travelling south.....enjoy

17. Oriel

Oriel

Those prices look very good compared to the UK

18. funflair

The Stellplatz is always open and they are easy to drop into if you are doing the Rhine or the Mosel.

Martin

19. funflair

Missed this one Yesterday.

image.jpeg Niesmann+Bischoff Clou liner with Porsche convertible in the back, HGV test anybody?

Martin

20. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

:Ta2:Slightly out of our price range but really enjoyed looking.