Tools

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by darklord, Mar 27, 2012.

1. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Being a tool person, plus a sort of mechanicy type, I sometimes overdo it with the tools i carry on the MH,......but...what do YOU carry,......and spares?

2. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

the only tool in are van is me:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 6
  3. stcyr

stcyr Funster

In our old Merc 608 we carried just about everything imaginable tool-wise, including trolley-jack, 2 spare wheels (17.5inch), removable metaltop workbench which doubled as toolstore in boot, logsplitting maul, axlestands, migwelder ... and on one occasion a cubic metre of logs (firewood) ... as well as a large toolbox full of totally unnecessary tools...

... in our current MH (3.5t) we've had to rationalise a bit, so - just the spanners that fit something, screwdriver with changeable bits, pliers, gaffertape, small socket set, battery drill.... :thumb:

4. tofo

tofo Funster

Rac card phillips and flat end screwdriver

1pliers
    1 medium adjuster
    Couple of cable ties
    Roll of electrical tape

And her handbag :Blush::Blush::Doh::thumb:

5. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Ah yes, forgot the cable-ties, electrical tape and the ADAC card! ... :BigGrin:

6. icantremember

icantremember Funster

[​IMG]Swiss Army Knife :Wink:

7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Everything necessary to convert a panel van to a fully functioning fulltimers home.

The only thing I have let go was the Laminate trimmer which only ran on 110V. I will get another 240v version if I decide to build another.

I also carry most spares except boiler and water pump. Everything else I have a spare for....

Hmmm. that might explain my leaf spring problem :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  8. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

to many things

A full set of Whitworth /Af spanners as it is a yank... a vast bag of other tools from small electric power screw driver, to various small wire brushes, allen keys sets to feller gauges, adjustable spanners ... tyre valve extenders, a bigger bag of electrical items, spare fuses of every size and shape, wire, multimeter, emery cloth, etc., etc., several bottle jacks.. 4 tons, 8 tons and scissor jack... spare lamps fog and reverse rubber lite's spare bulbs all sorts even spare lens and backs for the marker lights, spare wing mirror glass (heated) Screwdriver set.. most tools to do small running repairs. But have been know to borrow off other Rv's tools as needed when required when on a site.. Like the time I had to take the ball off the reece at the midsummer last year.. boy that was a big spanner....

Bob

But I think Martin sums it up well.. he is the only tool in his motor home.. love it:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Nothing everyone else has all i need:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  10. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

Think you just solved why your springs are bending other way Gromett!!
    What was your axle weight as a matter of interest?
    regards
    Steve:thumb:

11. olley

olley Funster

Whitworth bob? That's new one on me, do they use whit nuts and bolts? I haven't used my whit spanners in perhaps 20-30 years or more. You had better get some metric as well, found out recently that my wheel nuts are M22, don't know if anything else is Metric as well.

Ian

12. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

99.9% old money on a Yank

99.99999% are the old whit worth / AF spanners on an American RV .. I have come across the odd area where a metric will fit.. more by accident or similar size. Not so easy getting the old common type tools there days.. had to really hunt for them and they were expensive.

Bob

13. olley

olley Funster

Are you confusing whit and AF bob? Whitworth or BSW (British standard Whitworth) denote the bolt size. AF (Across flats) and refers to the measurement across the flats of the nut or bolt.

So a 1/2 whit spanner is designed to fit a 1/2 BSW bolt/nut, which according to google is .920 across the flats, whereas a 1/2 AF spanner is designed to fit a nut which is 1/2 across it flats. (Much more sensible if you ask me)

As far as I know BSW and BSF were hardly used in the states, mind you I was surprised to find Metric, so anything is possible.:BigGrin:

Ian

14. Terry

Terry Funster

Well here goes battery drill with various ends,cracking bar and sockets for wheel nuts a small screwdriver set that has small sockets etc,insulation tape,gaffer tape and half a dozen screws.Forgot adjustable spanner for gas bottle changing :thumb:Any thing else is not needed :Wink:
    terry

15. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

All you need is a sonic screwdriver. :Rofl1:

16. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

The engine?

Quote:

Important differences between the Vortec 8100 and older big blocks include a changed firing order (1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3), a new 18-bolt head bolt pattern, different symmetrical intake ports, different oil pan rails and the use of metric threads throughout the engine.

From here: Vortec 8.1

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

A mobile phone ! ................................Hello, is that Caravanguard ? :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

being a spannery sort of person I tend to slowly develop a toolkit, starting with absolute basics and adding to it as and when

Whenever I do a job on the van at home I always try and use ONLY the tools in the van..
    if I find I do not have something I take a view as to size weight and how often it is likely to be used, then if it is probable I would need that tool again in the future I will see about adding it to the kit

Many folk say they carry a battery powered drill..
    The battery is quite heavy and of course you need to carry the charger for it.

Some time ago I got hold of a 12v ( or 14v will do ) battery drill.
    Took the batteries out of the battery pack and discarded them.
    Connected a longish bit of wire to the terminals in the battery box, and put a cigar lighter plug on tother end.
    I have a lightweight 12v drill that will out last ANY battery drill around !!

I have often been asked where to find a nice long lump of wire suitable..
    I was lucky. The chap next door was scraping a pond pump and he gave me the wire..

However................
    I did another one for someone else and got the wire at local recycle centre ( as in 'the tip' ! ) .. I got it off of an old vacuum cleaner.. 10 metres of nice flexible, reasonable quality wire cost me a couple of quidlets