Tom Tom upgrade

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by DavidG58, Apr 25, 2014.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Hello all, I have a Tom Tom which we quite like, it is a Live 1005, bought JUST before the Motorhome option came along :Doh:

So I have been in touch with Tom Tom who said I could upgrade and gave me a link, but link did not work

So I emailed India again, to be told my model can't be upgraded as it does not support he necessary memory card :Doh:

So, do I spend over £300 on a MH friendly new model, or upgrade my maps and stay in car mode with driver intuition?? £70 for upgrade

I have seen comments where the truck version takes long detours that maybe are not needed

My instinct says upgrade maps and refer to SWMBO with map, plus some nouse??

What say you?

2. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Heres my thoughts on this.

Why Bother.............. I use an everyday car Tom Tom 1005 in my truck with Low Bridge poi installed

A sat nav is only a guide & no replacement for your eyes, you should know the width, length & height of your vehicle & pay attention to the road signs so as to stay out of trouble.

If you dont like the look of the road dont go down it simples

:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I paid about £300 for a Snooper motorhome version sat nav, which has taken me up single track lanes with passing places and, in France, into a field ( a sign said Camping du Ferme, so I assumed I was in right place-- ha! Lane fizzled out with ditch on one side, wall on other and me on my own) I wish I'd just stuck to my old TomTom. If you have someone else with you to maybe check on a map, point out signs that might prevent you coming to a low bridge, them I'd say stick with the TomTom.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

always preview your route & alter it with way-points

unfortunately unlike the old tom toms on the later version you can only add 3 so make em worthwhile & keep fastest route in settings.

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Hi David
    My tomtom 1005 is gathering dust as I find my 7" screen Chinese £63 satnav knocks spots off it

• Like Like x 1