Toll Roads v Non Toll Roads

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by ShiftZZ, Nov 22, 2013.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I know some are die hard non toll roads, but has the issues been looked at from a different perspective.
    On a cost basis is there an advantage in using Toll roads?
    It ok driving slowly through the countryside, admiring the several hundred roundabouts, narrow streets, traffic congestion etc etc. But us is as economical, remember the extra cost of overnight camping etc.
    On a toll road, you can average say 56mph, where the engine is at its most efficient, not changing gears, less stress.
    It’s ok, using non toll roads but can they cost more?

In the UK, I always us the M6 Toll road, I have been in too many traffic jams around Birmingham.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

In my experience Non toll roads in France are much better. Much more to see, and much, much cheaper, and choose the right time to travel, no real time or distance penalties. France has a lot of roads and outside of it's major metropolis's comparatively (to the UK) very little traffic. I've have used plenty of toll roads too, normally dashing down south to the sun, but never really enjoyed those journeys, they are just a chore.

I used the M6Toll once, by accident, I was in the RV and it cost me a weeks wages, I was fuming:Laughing:

• Like Like x 3
  3. laneside

laneside Funster

We are never black and white on the use of toll roads but as a general rule we try to avoid them in France, as Jim says the alternatives are very good and the cost is expensive,

We found that much of the way down from Spain through Portugal then using tolls often saved most of the cost on fuel saving, not counting wear and tear, the alternatives were often continual gear changing and twisty.

Spain,we have found, often has good alternatives but we still prefer to pay the toll charge to get past Barcelona as quickly as possible.

The plus side for us is that motorways are far less stressful on my navigator and how do you put a price on that?

• Like Like x 5
  4. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

As has been said in France the roads are much better and quieter so I avoid toll roads. In Italy the roads are not always that good so I sometimes use toll roads. If I am near a big city I will use the toll roads to get around it. It is always best to look at the options and see which is the most logical, trouble is it means planning and like many on this site I am not into that.:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  5. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

We have a two month winter window Jan/Feb before we return to another ten months of toil. We therefore take the dash to the sun option. We factor in the costs of tolls on our planning. As we take around 36 hours to get to the Costa Blanca the toll routes provide a very easy relaxing drive compared to UK motorways. Yes we do overnight on the motorway services and so far we have not been gassed :thumb:

• Like Like x 10
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

This year is the first time I have ever used the toll road to get to Benidorm and I think it will be the last. The cost was E176-54 which for me is more than a tank of fuel. I cant say it was a quicker journey as it took the same time. The fuel consumption was also much the same. Am just glad I had no breakdown or tyre issues this year as it would be catastrophic to have to call out a toll road bandit as no matter which breakdown insurance you have, they are not allowed on toll roads.

• Like Like x 3
  7. bungy

bungy Funster

we tend to the use them quite a bit...but then were on a 2 week timeframe for our trips:Sad:

calais to avignon (ish) in a day....yup toll road for me:thumb: otherwise id loose 2-3days to getting to the sun and keeping her ladyship happy

however if we had more time.....then possibly not:BigGrin:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
  8. buttons

buttons Funster

We mix and match, often a better way of getting around towns and cities is the toll road but sometimes tempting to stay on them as they are a much quicker alternative in a small camper or a car. Set the cruise to 70ish sit back and await your arrival. No hassle. Touring or being limited to 50mph is of course a different situation, less to gain using tolls.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Larby

Larby Funster

I would use the toll roads if they were cheaper. Perhaps we are not as used to paying tolls like the French?
    The operators must have weighed up dropping the price and getting more custom though.

I've said more than once to SHMBO, look at that empty toll-road as we cruise along parallell to it for free.
    Often the old N route is deserted.

I begin to tremble when I see the sign.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  10. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Usually we programme into tom-tom route from A to B and go whatever it comes up with..

Most of the time it takes us on toll roads.. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. greygit

greygit Read Only Funster

Going to Spain we always use toll roads its quicker, more relaxing, less wear on van etc, but when touring France we keep off um.
    [FONT=&quot]Wish they were a bit cheaper though. [/FONT]:Sad:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

We do a bit of both. I program the route in to the sat nav and then select avoidances. I then accept or decline each alternative depending on the difference in miles and time. Sometimes the alternative to the toll road can actually be shorter and quicker and we have had others where to avoid the toll added nearly an hour and several miles. When we go next year we probably won't use tolls at all as we will be travelling for months so no time limit as there is with a 2 week holiday where you have to try to cram everything in to a short space of time. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  13. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Has anyone done the maths?

I know I was looking at taking a boat from the Uk to Spain, the cost of driving down is cheaper, but is it?
    You still have to find a place to stay over on the way down, the wear and tare on the van and driver. Getting there are being knackered, boat, you turn up fresh..

I now that driving through small French villages is nice enough, but, they can be a nightmare, then the roundabouts, the changing of gears, the fuel consumption must go up. The extra gas you may have to use, the cost of camping (unless in an aire), the increase risk of being gassed. :Wink:

My suspicion is that there is nothing in it. I know that when going up North, I always use the M6 Toll, the last time I went on the M6 I was stop start for over an hour and the BP went gaga. I save 15 miles on my travel by avoiding Birmingham by using the M6 Toll, less of a risk also from a Mujahidin attack near Spark Hill.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Tolls

We are as tight as drums when it comes to tolls but generally speaking, the only extra cost to us is time, rather than money.

We get the same 26.2 mpg overall with the van whether on the motorway, dawdling along or what ever. I have not reset the computer in the last 4000 miles.

There are occasional stretches of roads though where I will pay - for example 1.10 euro to by pass Saverne on the A4 in France and one euro something to bypass Beziers in the south of France.

Russell

• Like Like x 3
  15. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

the first time i travelled down to the med thru france i was adamant that i wasnt going to use motorways as i wanted to see the REAL france ! what i actually saw was retail parks , mcdonalds and bloody roundabouts !! when ever i came upon a actual village it was basically closed with no one to be seen ! so since then its a combination of toll and non toll . garry

• Like Like x 4
  16. sciac2001

sciac2001 Funster

Change the navigator?

• Like Like x 1
  17. carolyn

carolyn Funster

Its the roundabouts that can be a pain, it seems to be a case of why use one when half a dozen will do. We use a mixture of toll and non toll like we used to in the car, when retirement arrives time taken travelling will become less important I should think, or hope.:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  18. trophychap

trophychap Funster

We use the a combination of Tolls and N roads in France it all depends on where you are travelling from and to. Sometimes river crossings via a non toll roads can add miles to your journey. This year we decided to cross the Gironde by ferry from Royan whilst travelling from The Ile de Oleron down to Montalivet saved over four hours travel and a hundred or so miles, but the cost was about £45.00.

Coupled with the fact we had never crossed by ferry and had said we would try it once, I probably would do the drive another time, if time was not of the essence.

By the way if you are a member of the Caravan Club the M6 toll road offers substantial reductions on production of your membership card at the manned toll plaza's I.E. Normal cost with the motorhome £11. reduced to £4 so quite a saving to be had there.

• Like Like x 4
  19. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I think there is a key point that has not been factored in here, yes driving through small villages and round numerous roundabouts takes the edge off the benefit. But there are hundreds of miles of free motorways in France

We did Calais - Biarritz this time last year without paying a toll, but probably did about 75% on motorways and dual carriageways

On this basis the potential cost saving between motorways and non toll roads is going to be much less

IMO

David

• Like Like x 2
  20. scousebird

scousebird Funster

When we had caravans we mostly used toll roads for ease but now we mostly use the N roads. I much prefer it as we have come across some lovely towns & villages that we would have missed on the toll roads :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1