To Travel To France or Not?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by brodie, May 25, 2016.

1. brodie

brodie Funster

Morning

We are due to cross to France early hours Friday morning to go to Soulac - west coast.

It's 500 miles from Calais which our car will do fairly easy (mh conversion not ready yet)

Last night we thought straight away we can't go due to the fuel shortage but I'm wondering whether it will be over in a few days and it will be back to normal.

Should we risk it, wait it out or just try and cancel/amend now? I've got travel insurance but not sure whether this would be covered, although I have got a medical condition which safe to say it would be no good if I were to be stranded on a motorway.

I feel right fed up, kids are none the wiser at this moment and I just don't know we what to do for the best!!!

Any help/advice appreciated x

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Why would you not want to go?

• Like Like x 2
  3. brodie

brodie Funster

Because there isn't any diesel anywhere and I'm worried about being stranded!

• Like Like x 1
  4. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    A tad difficult obtaining fuel in France at the moment may be a slight concern:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jenben

Jenben Funster

How long are you planning to be away for ? If just for a long weekend then I would be worried about travelling, longer than that it could all be resolved by the time you need to refuel.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

I thought it was only in the north? Most previous posts seem to say there isn't that much of a problem. If you set of with a full tank you will be near the south.

• Like Like x 1
  7. matamoros

matamoros Funster

We are near to St. Nazaire at the moment, the current shortages seem to have started in this area last week and have been spreading through France since. There seem to be areas that are unaffected and some fuel supplies are now available in our area where there were none, I managed to get 20L yesterday. The French Government keep saying reserve supplies are available but getting those reserves to the public in the event of major disruption may be a low priority.
    Nobody knows how this dispute will develop and only you can make the risk judgement on whether to travel or not.
    Sorry if this sounds unhelpful.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. chaser

chaser Funster

Are you staying with friends or renting somewhere, either road can you not contact someone there to see what is happening around where you are going, if you have enough to get you there, and you can find out if there is somewhere to fill up there, don't see a problem,

• Like Like x 2
  10. matamoros

matamoros Funster

The effects are spreading and a major refinery in the South of France is now blockaded but the situation is constantly changing, would you risk being stranded in the South of France with children?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

In a motorhome, I'd say go for it. Being stranded for a few days is an adventure in itself :) But in a car with kids, I think I'd give it a miss.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Has it affected lpg supplies, bottles or bulk ?

13. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

We are in France at the moment. Coming back on Sunday morning.
    Up to now we have had no problems with fuel.
    We are at parcverger for a few nights

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

You mention travelling by car, where in France are you aiming for? Do you have accommodation booked? What sort of holiday are you planning?

From reading Jims link it suggests leaving the uk with a full tank, thus giving you 300 miles to get to....?

If you can get to your destination without having to fill up and it's a stay put holiday I'd be likely to go. As long as you think you can refuel for the return.

Don't know the ages of the kids but what an adventure for them.

Edit, sorry just read its 500 miles so you'd need a refuel, check out the map on jims link to see if that takes you out of the most problematic area.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Detnor

Detnor Funster

On the motorways you can get 20 ltrs at most services but expect a queue of 3 to 6 vehicles at each pump. Yesterday morning local supermarket fuel was closed, delivery yesterday lunchtime and fuel on 30 ltrs. Shortages seem fairly widespread down to Poitiers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. brodie

brodie Funster

It wouldn't be a problem if were in the mhome, it definitely would be an adventure!

Our car does around 600 to a full tank so it should get us there. But once there I didn't want to be stuck on site and don't want to have a problem getting home!

Husband's put his foot down now and said no way are we risking it.

He is going to try and find something here for less than £1,000 I think I'd rather stay at home to be honest.

17. brodie

brodie Funster

7,10 & 15 not sure they would make it back alive if we were sat on a motorway for hours!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. etap

etap

Brodie,
    What a shame not to go, the only reason for not going must be the medical condition and if that is likely to cause a problem for you then I would not go, otherwise I would certainly go, over the last 40 years we have travelled to or across France each year and come what may, strikes etc have never been a real problem.
    I am sure others have travelled as much as us or more, I mentioned our travels not to be clever but to inform you.

• Like Like x 1
  19. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Just a thought....
    When the Spaniards make life awkward with A frame rules, Brit tourists being regarded as money boxes by the police and traders, the cry is usually "let them go hang", "vote with your feet and go elsewhere", etc.
    The French are very good at making life awkward with strikes and blockades.
    I haven't yet seen any post advising "go elsewhere".
    One family with 3 kids being advised to go even though there is the possibility of getting stranded.
    Strange, that?

20. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

There doesn't appear to be any end in sight for this dispute, so likely to continue for quite a while.
    I have just read that there are now lorries blocking the truck toll gates on some motorways to prevent fuel being moved.
    If it were me, with a young family, I'd be looking to go elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1