To Our Queen (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
No as in Norman, England. The Normans accepted that their overload was the French king for their lands in France, but in Britain they were kings by right of conquest and had no overlord.

So its a Norman castle not French. ::bigsmile:

Ian

And if I recall my history correctly the French Normans weren't actually French they were Danish. The vikings strike again:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We overheard the following conversation at our local motorhome supply shop recently:-

"Will you be celebrating the Queen's Jubilee celebrations this weekend"?:winky:
"Eh, no, certainly not"! "She's nothing more than an over-priviledged pensioner and anyway she doesn't move within my social circle"!::bigsmile:

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
Fed up with the TV being taken over with it... found some great old war films in black and white, far more interesting.. plus I have been doing the garden.. anything to avoid hearing about it or the torch or the olympics.. all a waste of money... my money.

Bob:Angry:

Agree 100% Bob:Angry:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Fed up with the TV being taken over with it... found some great old war films in black and white, far more interesting.. plus I have been doing the garden.. anything to avoid hearing about it or the torch or the olympics.. all a waste of money... my money.

Bob:Angry:
so bob! You sat and watched films of guys fighting for king and country, well done:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
He was descended from Katherine Cromwell (born c. 1482), an elder sister of Tudor statesman Thomas Cromwell (c. 1485–1540), a minister of Henry VIII, whose family acquired considerable wealth by taking over monastery property during the Reformation. Katherine was married to Morgan ap William, son of William ap Yevan of Wales. The family line continued through Richard Williams, alias Cromwell, (c. 1500–1544), Henry Williams, alias Cromwell, (c. 1524–6 January 1604), then to Oliver's father Robert Cromwell (c. 1560–1617), who married Elizabeth Steward (c. 1564–1654) on the day of Oliver Cromwell's birth. Thomas thus was Oliver's great-great-great-uncle.

http://www.h2g2.com/approved_entry/A14116646

A great heading by one of your favourite writers in one of your favourite news papers today. Melanie Phillips wrote.
THIS IS THE BRITAIN WE FEARED WE'D LOST IN FULL SAIL ONCE MORE......she was referring to the adulation by millions who turned out in London in the rain and the ten's of millions who still support what our monarchy delivers. You live in the principality of Wales....we live in Great Britain and give full support to our Queen and country.
Compare the millions who turned out in support, then take a look at the tiny anti royalist protesters who stood in the corner out of the rain. :restmycase:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We overheard the following conversation at our local motorhome supply shop recently:-

"Will you be celebrating the Queen's Jubilee celebrations this weekend"?:winky:
"Eh, no, certainly not"! "She's nothing more than an over-priviledged pensioner and anyway she doesn't move within my social circle"!::bigsmile:

You shouldn't ear drop peoples conversations. Like this occasion, the content could upset you. :whatthe:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
You shouldn't ear drop peoples conversations. Like this occasion, the content could upset you. :whatthe:

The problem was buttons, that we were in the queue waiting to pay for something, so we had no option whatsover, as the man who was the owner of the business was just airing his view to another customer who had asked him the question......but just goes to show you that not everyone is enjoying the Jubilee:RollEyes:
We certainly weren't upset, but found it quite funny!
Margaret

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
The problem was buttons, that we were in the queue waiting to pay for something, so we had no option whatsover, as the man who was the owner of the business was just airing his view to another customer who had asked him the question......but just goes to show you that not everyone is enjoying the Jubilee:RollEyes:
Margaret
the queen has served for her country for sixty years,and might continue for years more,and people on here have served for their country,but like me there is a lot that havent done anything for this country,and for her serveing the country for the amount of years she deserves a celebration:Smile:

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
in all 5 pages not one mention of Phil the Greek:cry::cry: 91 next week and stood by her all that time and on the royal barge in the cold and now the poor old boy has ended up in hospital:Sad::Sad:

get well soon Phillip:thumb::thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
the queen has served for her country for sixty years,and might continue for years more,and people on here have served for their country,but like me there is a lot that havent done anything for this country,and for her serveing the country for the amount of years she deserves a celebration:Smile:

Anyone who has worked in this country has contributed taxes and therefore has contributed "something" to society, although maybe not in the way that you've said with regards to serving their country. However, we would like to think that we all contribute something in some way or another, however small in our daily lives.

Whilst we have nothing personal against the Queen, she is surrounded by loads of "hangers on", with the exception of Princess Anne, who, in our opinion has more than earned her keep. However, people like "Airmiles Andy" who does not a lot, but fly around the world as an "ambassador" for what, you tell us! Not everyone shares your enthusiasm and in these times of austerity, we know people who struggle to get by on a daily basis, there is a widely held view that the royal family are in a very priviledged position and they will never know the hardship that a lot of families experience on a daily basis. Either financially or healthwise, the majority of us don't have access to medical facilities at the drop of a hat, there are also a lot of people that we know who see these celebrations as nothing more than "over-priviledged" indulgences at a time when money is supposed to be scarce in this country.

As said previously, we have nothing against the Queen personally, and an observation is, at least her marriage has stayed intact. Which is more than can be said for her offspring:Smile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Anyone who has worked in this country has contributed taxes and therefore has contributed "something" to society, although maybe not in the way that you've said with regards to serving their country. However, we would like to think that we all contribute something in some way or another, however small in our daily lives.

Whilst we have nothing personal against the Queen, she is surrounded by loads of "hangers on", with the exception of Princess Anne, who, in our opinion has more than earned her keep. However, people like "Airmiles Andy" who does not a lot, but fly around the world as an "ambassador" for what, you tell us! Not everyone shares your enthusiasm and in these times of austerity, we know people who struggle to get by on a daily basis, there is a widely held view that the royal family are in a very priviledged position and they will never know the hardship that a lot of families experience on a daily basis. Either financially or healthwise, the majority of us don't have access to medical facilities at the drop of a hat, there are also a lot of people that we know who see these celebrations as nothing more than "over-priviledged" indulgences at a time when money is supposed to be scarce in this country.

As said previously, we have nothing against the Queen personally, and an observation is, at least her marriage has stayed intact. Which is more than can be said for her offspring:Smile:

Well said...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I will never understand how one load of people will "worship" another human just because of whom he or she was born to...

...and as for bowing or curtseying to another human being just because of whom they married....

well... please... tell me... what is that all about?

JJ :Cool:

Obviously I bow down on bended knee in the presence of Roberto Mancini though...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I heard that one of the concert performers was a young looking entertainer who had retired to Portugal to cultivate a parcel of land. I was going to watch until I realised it was only Cliff Richard ::bigsmile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I watched part of the concert, the best by far was Ed Sheeran & Annie Lennox.

Elton needs to get some "Cherry Tunes" he was awful and who is he and Sir Paul trying to kid, not a single grey hair.

Shirley & Stevie W were ok, the rest was forgettable.

Some of the presenters were pi$$ poor and far too many of them. I missed Cheryl Cole, by all accounts she was poor...

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
ok so how much income will come from the tourism sector this year??????
will there be enough to cover this event?? i suppose not initially but with this and the limpics the tourism side of things will pick up and add to our economy.
the problem is it wont get spent where it should.

a wise man once said to me you can have a little bit for a long time.
you can have a big bit maybe once or twice.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
The Athens Olympics, which cost a record £9.4bn to stage (way over its original budget, which rocketed after the September 11 terrorist attacks increased security costs) have left Greece groaning under a huge debt. In the months after the Games, the shortfall amounted to €50,000 for each Greek household, and taxpayers are still footing the bill. Maintenance of the sites alone has cost as much as £500m.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...pens-when-the-olympics-leave-town-901629.html

I suspect we will be left with a big bill..

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!

.... and don't expect the Government to tell us the truth either! The real costs will never be revealed. Contracts being handed out to companies of sons, daughters, mother & fathers oh and Grannies too. :Eeek: Shares in other companies about to get huge contracts being bought by MPs & Ministers!

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
TV coverage of Jubilee!

I went to switch off the tv at 2 am this morning, the Sky news was just starting and I thought to myself, "quick switch it off before they start on the Jubilee coverage all over again"!!

I gave myself a pat on the back because I had managed to avoid seeing anything of the celebrations by either having the tv off or watching other channels:thumb:

This morning I switched on the tv and BBC 1 and ITV where showing another item to do with the Jubilee, both at the same time, even Bargain Hunt had been called off for goodness sake:Eeek:

It's been 4 days solid coverage, even the adverts on the commercial channels have been nauseating with people singing God Save the Queen whilst doing furniture adverts! I'll be glad when things get back to normal (although I suggest that will take some time)! The amazing thing is that all the problems with the economy,austerity, "tightening belts", global warming, terror, famine in Africa, you name it and everything else going on in Europe has been temporarily forgotten about or sidelined as "other" news......amazing!

With 4 days of over indulgence, with supposedly no money etc, etc, what does the tv report? What the Queen is having for lunch?:Doh:
OK, rant over now, I'm off for a very humble ham roll and a mug of tea:thumb:
Margaret:winky:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
The Athens Olympics, which cost a record £9.4bn to stage (way over its original budget, which rocketed after the September 11 terrorist attacks increased security costs) have left Greece groaning under a huge debt. In the months after the Games, the shortfall amounted to €50,000 for each Greek household, and taxpayers are still footing the bill. Maintenance of the sites alone has cost as much as £500m.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...pens-when-the-olympics-leave-town-901629.html

Yep! And they continue to tell us there's "no money" for this, that and the other"! Grrr!!!

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
In the 18th century, the monarchy negotiated a deal with the State whereby the income from the Crown Estate would be turned over to the State in return for an annual Civil List payment to the monarchy intended to defray its costs.

Today, the income from the Crown Estate is far, far larger than the Civil List payment made to the Queen and Prince Philip, and larger than the costs of security, too. The State is getting by far the better end of the deal.

Next year, the arrangement will be adjusted. The monarchy will start getting, I think, 15% of the Crown Estate income, because the Civil List payment hasn't been adequate for expenses for some time. However, that still leaves 85% for the State.

Moreover, these days, far fewer members of the royal family than used to receive Parliamentary annuities in return for carrying out royal engagements, In any case, the Queen reimburses these to the State out of her personal income.:thumb:
the royal family cost 70p per tax payer per year,the war in afganistan cost £900 per tax payer per year.bailing out the currupt banking system will cost far more than any war or royal family,or olympics for many genarations,even the unborn will have a debt to pay in tax for bailing out the bankers:Sad:

The Treasury has pledged to spend £1.2 trillion on the bail-out since the crisis began. But the real outlay has been much smaller. By March it was committed to spending £456.33bn: £123.93bn in loan or share purchases, which required an actual cash injection from the government to the banks, and £332.4bn in guarantees and liabilities. It costs taxpayers up to £5bn a year just to service the loan that the crisis incurred.

In cash terms the UK government has so far spent £123.93bn bailing out the banks, but it has at various points since the crisis began been exposed to a sum 10 times larger.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Next year, the arrangement will be adjusted. The monarchy will start getting, I think, 15% of the Crown Estate income, because the Civil List payment hasn't been adequate for expenses for some time. However, that still leaves 85% for the State.

So, in other words, one rather large extended dysfunctional family on state [STRIKE]handouts [/STRIKE] benefits, gets 15% of the income ... sounds fair to me :winky:

with a bit of spin, this has the makings of a good Mail story .. :roflmto:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
to our queen,as one of your loyal subjects,i wish you a great diamond jubilee,and hope you enjoy the celebrations as much as your loyal subjects will,and thank you for being our queen
C:%5CUsers%5CRichard%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.gif

long may you reign
C:%5CUsers%5CRichard%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image002.gif

god save the queen

[FONT=&quot]I went to switch off the tv at 2 am this morning, the Sky news was just starting and I thought to myself, "quick switch it off before they start on the Jubilee coverage all over again"!!

I gave myself a pat on the back because I had managed to avoid seeing anything of the celebrations by either having the tv off or watching other channels[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
C:%5CUsers%5CRichard%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

This morning I switched on the tv and BBC 1 and ITV where showing another item to do with the Jubilee, both at the same time, even Bargain Hunt had been called off for goodness sake[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
C:%5CUsers%5CRichard%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image003.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

It's been 4 days solid coverage, even the adverts on the commercial channels have been nauseating with people singing God Save the Queen whilst doing furniture adverts! I'll be glad when things get back to normal (although I suggest that will take some time)! The amazing thing is that all the problems with the economy,austerity, "tightening belts", global warming, terror, famine in Africa, you name it and everything else going on in Europe has been temporarily forgotten about or sidelined as "other" news......amazing!

With 4 days of over indulgence, with supposedly no money etc, etc, what does the tv report? What the Queen is having for lunch?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
C:%5CUsers%5CRichard%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image004.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
OK, rant over now, I'm off for a very humble ham roll and a mug of tea[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Margaret[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
C:%5CUsers%5CRichard%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image005.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
If you are so against the monarchy why are getting so involved in Chris’s pro monarchy thread. How about braving it and posting your own thread for republicans.
This way you could talk among yourselves for as long as you like, instead of taking over others who have little interest in republicanism.

You are beginning to sound like the bench opposite, all condemnation without any ideas of your own. The few of you have loud voices I’ll grant you, but that is about it.

Hope you get a tad more support than your dedicated followers did in London though “see attached”. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...otest-on-the-banks-of-the-thames-7814498.html
Great thread by the way Chris...........

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Nice bit of copy / paste...

I fear that at some stage in your life a banker may have upset you, you really need to get over it.

The Royal family are just a disfunctional parasitic family, no better than those who scrounge on benefits.

If I was in charge I would also make those who dodge taxes have to pay twice the amount back and those convicted of crime should have to pay back all the legal costs for the prosecution and the cost of keeping them in prison.

I hear endless arguments about "How much the Royals bring into the UK", hard evidence would be good, and before you go searching the 70p per tax payer per year, does that include the cost of maintaining Crown properties, security of the Royals etc.. I suspect not...

I tell you what would be interesting, that would be to DNA test them and see who really is related... It has always been suggested that Stavros has broadcasted his seed far and wide.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Nice bit of copy / paste...

I fear that at some stage in your life a banker may have upset you, you really need to get over it.

The Royal family are just a disfunctional parasitic family, no better than those who scrounge on benefits.

If I was in charge I would also make those who dodge taxes have to pay twice the amount back and those convicted of crime should have to pay back all the legal costs for the prosecution and the cost of keeping them in prison.

I hear endless arguments about "How much the Royals bring into the UK", hard evidence would be good, and before you go searching the 70p per tax payer per year, does that include the cost of maintaining Crown properties, security of the Royals etc.. I suspect not...

I tell you what would be interesting, that would be to DNA test them and see who really is related... It has always been suggested that Stavros has broadcasted his seed far and wide.

Deduct the tens of millions of monarchists from your world Shifty then the tax dodgers, then the scroungers, then any others who don't come up to your high standards.......hum...it could be a lonely existence for your perfect race of peoples.
Take a look at the tele it will give you some idea of the true feelings of this great country.:thumb:
Are they right or are you that is the question...........:winky:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
If you are so against the monarchy why are getting so involved in Chris’s pro monarchy thread. How about braving it and posting your own thread for republicans.
This way you could talk among yourselves for as long as you like, instead of taking over others who have little interest in republicanism.

You are beginning to sound like the bench opposite, all condemnation without any ideas of your own. The few of you have loud voices I’ll grant you, but that is about it.

Hope you get a tad more support than your dedicated followers did in London though “see attached”. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...otest-on-the-banks-of-the-thames-7814498.html
Great thread by the way Chris...........

As we said in an earlier post, we don't have anything personal against the Queen, just giving a "different view point", that's why we're getting involved in this thread.

Not everyone is going "gaga" over the Jubilee celebrations, there are people (not just us, who can't be bothered with it!) So we're certainly not alone there.

Sorry if we've hijacked the monarchy thread, we're just adding "our" opinion which hopefully we're still entitled to do. I thought we were all allowed to voice our opinions or even observations based on our daily experiences:RollEyes:

By the way, we have nothing to do with any "anti-monarchy" group, but it's interesting to hear that you've come to the conclusion that we're "anti-monarchy" because we've given an alternative view that doesn't hold with the majority of people. This is based on conversations we've had with others, who aren't "anti-monarchy" either, but just don't hold with all the lavish, over-the-top money that is being spent on this, given other more important problems in this country today. Also, on this forum, other posters have contributed similar views on the hype over the past few days, so we are certainly not alone with our opinions.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As we said in an earlier post, we don't have anything personal against the Queen, just giving a "different view point", that's why we're getting involved in this thread.

Not everyone is going "gaga" over the Jubilee celebrations, there are people (not just us, who can't be bothered with it!) So we're certainly not along there.

[HI]Sorry if we've highjacked the monarchy thread, we're just adding "our" opinion which hopefully we're still entitled to do. I thought we were all allowed to voice our opinions or even observations based on our daily experiences[/HI]:RollEyes:

By the way, we have nothing to do with any "anti-monarchy" group, but it's interesting to hear that you've come to the conclusion that we're "anti-monarchy" because we've given an alternative view that doesn't hold with the majority of people. This is based on conversations we've had with others, who aren't "anti-monarchy" either, but just don't hold with all the lavish, over-the-top money that is being spent on this, given other more important problems in this country today. Also, on this forum, other posters have contributed similar views on the hype over the past few days, so we are certainly not alone with our opinions.
Now you have done it.......have you got a tissue :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Deduct the tens of millions of monarchists from your world Shifty then the tax dodgers, then the scroungers, then any others who don't come up to your high standards.......hum...it could be a lonely existence for your perfect race of peoples.
Take a look at the tele it will give you some idea of the true feelings of this great country.:thumb:
Are they right or are you that is the question...........:winky:

A lot of spin there me dear old buttons..

Last night there were some empty seats, tens of millions may well be OTT, nothing on my estate, not even a flag.

Try the whole thing without a public holiday and see the responce...

The Royal family have been active at spinning themselves ever since th Diana death, they were on the verge of losing it.

Be a Loyal Royalist , its your choice, but I would not even go to my front door to see them.

I for one would rather be a citizen of this country than a subject.

B & B in the Tower for me then...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back