TO OPEN LOCKERS, OR NOT ??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jenny and mitch, Nov 14, 2014.

1. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Do you open all your locker doors and cupboards when the vehicle is parked up ???
    Our dealer advised us to do this, but I have never seen any vans on the forecourt with theirs open.. So I'm open to any advice please.. Mitch.

2. scousebird

scousebird Funster

In the 22 years we have caravanned/motorhomed we have never left the locker doors open but we do go out all year round.

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

We don`t.... But we do in the winter if we are not going away for any length of time...

Does not do any harm and does help air circulation..

4. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

They're all open now especially now that we will not be venturing out for a while. I've always done this to let circulating van get round the van including the fridge and freezer box. Vans on forecourts probably look their best with lockers closed to make them appear roomier and tidier:)

5. keith

keith Funster

It's not a bad idea as it lets the air circulate as said.

They get very cold if left closed when it's cold outside, so if you put heating on in the winter they would not benefit from the heat if closed.

6. wingman

wingman Funster

I leave mine open. Not when it's merely parked up, only in the winter. Not only do I open the lockers, but also the fridge, wardrobe, the loo/shower room door, cupboards and drawers and the swing-out sink too! In fact, apart from the exterior lockers, if it has a catch on it, it gets opened! When/if I move in the winter, I resemble a flight attendant! It only takes a mo' to close them all.

If I used the van all year round, I naturally wouldn't bother. However, nothing likes to be 'cooped-up', especially in winter. Gives everything a chance to ventilate and keeps an even temperature (albeit cold) throughout the van.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

And safer so no one makes a claim for hitting there head on an open cupboard probably the main reason and time consuming if you had to open doors/cupboards on 30 odd vans every day

8. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

We tend to leave them open in the winter when it is parked in the drive. not the external ones, though......

9. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Many thanks to you all for your responses.. Off now to do the flight attendant bit !!

10. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We use ours all year round too.
    Every time we put it back into storage , after a weekend or longer away (we don't keep it at home) we open the fridge, wardrobes cupboards , leave the bathroom door open etcetcetc. We've always done it.
    It's properly cleaned too , bathroom ,kitchen , fridge, and hoovered and polished through , whilst at the last destination before putting it in as well.
    Doesn't take long .
    That way it's lovely and fresh n clean for the next weekend away.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We always leave the fridge door open when it is switched off because (as with all fridges) it prevents mould growth. During the warmer months I don't bother opening the lockers & cupboards but do so when it is colder and chance of condensation forming.

• Like Like x 2
  12. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Besides the open Cupboards and doors we also in colder weather
    when not using the van; remove all food (Mice) and take out Jars Bottles Glass & Tins
    (prevents condensation)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Open the fridge but thats about it really.. Mind you, with something like 14 overhead lockers it would be a pain in the bum opening and then closing then all the time.. I expect if we were not going to use the van for a long while it would indeed be a good idea and it would be done...

• Like Like x 2
  14. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

We open all internal doors and lockers (and especially the fridge) during the winter, when parked up. As mentioned, it doesn't take many seconds to close everything again if we want to go out - which we usually do periodically, even if not sleeping overnight.

Mike

• Like Like x 3
  15. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Fridge and freezer doors open.. Lockers all closed. We use the van all year but the heating is on low when on the drive on EHU.
    We remove all edible things to a plastic box and we also have an ultrasonic mouse thingy on too.

• Like Like x 2
  16. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

Always open the fridge in the forlorn hope there may be a bottle of white left :(

• Like Like x 2
  17. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

We never leave them open when the van is parked up during the warmer months but As the days and nights get colder we usually leave internal doors and cupboards open and the heating on low just to help keep the van aired.

18. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Leave the cupboards open, shower door etc, and take out any bedding when laying up for any time. Our quilts went mouldy a few years ago. Ive never left the lockers open though.
    Phil

19. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

How often do you have to use a van in order to not have to worry about winter at all? I was planning to just drain the water heater and leave it at that. I'm expecting to use it once a month over the winter at least for day trips..

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We do the same but the couple of minutes it takes to open doors and move cushions to allow air flow is worth it.