To chip, or not to chip

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by gordoncbrown, Sep 28, 2012.

1. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

That is the question. A friend of mine was telling me yesterday that he chipped his 4x4 and gets around 20% better fuel economy. I've always been sceptical of these but he is genuine and an engineer. What's everyone else's experience on here?
    Thanks

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I'd believe it when I'd personally monitored it over several tankfuls.

Fuel is burnt to do work to haul the vehicle, chipping it does not alter that equation. You've got to ask "why would a manufacturer send out a vehicle with a map so bad 20% of the fuel is wasted ?".

I wonder if it has been previously remapped with a disaster map ?

We re-flashed our van, excellent improvement in torque but non in fuel apart from my first outing when I used all that new torque and dropped the fuel from 25 mpg to 20 mpg, but I did give it some stick. However it was a well worth exercise because it now climbs hills a gear or two higher.

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

10% improvement is more likely and acheivable. as in under 3mpg rather than 6mpg improvement. the torque increase is worth the monet as the engine doesnt need to work so hard

its all about emissions though and your likey to make more soot after chipping

chipped last 3 navaras from new, so this is from experience

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

as TB1 said, an improvement in torque will mean less time/distance in lower gears, revving higher, so a fuel saving could be possible....but not 20% :Doh:

in todays world of folks looking for better economy from their vehicles the manufacturers would fall over themselves designing a new chip which gave a 20% improvement over the rest of the market and fit it as standard as a selling point.
    just look at the car market with 60mpg+ cars.

5. ehuplad

ehuplad Read Only Funster

This is the point, the manufacture of the engine has to pass the emissions cert. this is set at certain engine speeds and loads,

The aftermarket does not.

I also think 20% is very optimistic.

6. buttons

buttons Funster

The dark side had some real experts on this subject, I'm sure the info is their for the taking if anyone really wants to know the true facts.:thumb:

7. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Tape an egg to your throttle pedal and drive without breaking it!!, 15% improvement:Wink:

• Like Like x 1