Mar 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Savannah Gold
Exp
I'm a newbie
Please can anyone help.
We are in the process of looking for a panel campervan to buy we would like one with a toilet and shower room in and seating at the back if possible, we don't want to pay any more than £16,000. On starting to look I thought it would be quite easy but it is proving to be quite difficult. We live in Cumbria and there doesn't seem to be a lot of dealers or sellers around here so we are travelling substantial distances to look for them, mainly at weekends as we work during the week. If there is a decent campervan then they seem to go before we can get to see them. We have visited a few dealers and have had frosty receptions as they don't seem to think we have the money to buy from them or if we ring them and ask what they have in,they just say come and have a look, well thats ok if you are only round the corner.

If anyone has any ideas or tips on helping us get our dream campervan please could you let us know?

Thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not so much a tip as a possible van. Broken Link Removed
It is a shade over your budget but try an offer.

You asked for seating in the back, the Morello can carry rear passengers, not sure if it is one or two, I think only one. If you wanted a rear lounge I think you are missing out on what we like about our Murvi - you can sit in it looking out of the big open side door and all is bright and airy, like sitting outside in a way you tend not to get if you shut yourself away in a conventional van

I have no connection with seller other than we are both in the Murvi owners club. The seller lives in Stoke on Trent.

If you are unfamiliar with the model: Broken Link Removed The majority are based on Fiats but they also do Merc versions, current list price £60K+

It may sound like I am on commission here but I'm not!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome!

Buying a van can be very daunting. We looked at literally hundreds before deciding on our present one.
A bit of terminology will help you deal more effectively with the dealers.
You need to ask if they have a panel van conversion with washroom and if possible a rear u shaped lounge.
Do bear in mind that a rear lounge will rarely give you travel seats for passengers in the back.
If rear travel seats are desirable, you need a front dinette. Usually with this layout the cab seats turn to form part of the lounge/dinette.
It might be worth your while to visit a motorhome show. Your budget is quite low, but looking around and spending time in various vans, even if they are beyond your budget, will help you identify your needs. It is the National Show at Peterborough very soon and as well as lots of vans, there will be lots of helpful Funsters to guide you!::bigsmile:
You can pounce later when that bargain van turns up and use your new knowledge to get a bit more off the deal!:thumb:
Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

You asked for seating in the back, the Morello can carry rear passengers, not sure if it is one or two, I think only one. If you wanted a rear lounge I think you are missing out on what we like about our Murvi - you can sit in it looking out of the big open side door and all is bright and airy, like sitting outside in a way you tend not to get if you shut yourself away in a conventional van

I have no connection with seller other than we are both in the Murvi owners club. The seller lives in Stoke on Trent.

It looks - and from the description - sounds like a nice well-equipped van. :thumb:

Mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Melanie

Free Member
Mar 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Savannah Gold
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi

Thanks for the advice, they look very nice vans. Do they have a toilet in them, I couldn't see any mention of one in the details?

Cheers Melanie

If you are unfamiliar with the model: Broken Link Removed The majority are based on Fiats but they also do Merc versions, current list price £60K+

It may sound like I am on commission here but I'm not!

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We went through the same thing trying to find the right layout, condition and price.
In the end we happened upon one with the right layout but in very tired condition inside.
We did a deal and spent some considerable time and money refurbishing it and now we have a van we're happy with.
It doesn't matter how big your budget is, unless you're prepared either to have one purpose built for you or modify an existing one, it's almost impossible to find an ideal unit that suits your needs perfectly.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi

Thanks for the advice, they look very nice vans. Do they have a toilet in them, I couldn't see any mention of one in the details?

Cheers Melanie

The layout consists of (looking from cab backwards) offside sidewards settee facing side sliding door, then wardrobe and washroom in the rear offside corner; nearside has the sliding door then a large 'L' shaped kitchen.

It seems a 'bit' expensive for what it is, partially down to it being a Merc I suppose, but a 2004 version isn't that much more. I had a 'google' and found a pdf review:

Morello review

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi

Cheers Melanie

Morello does have a toilet/shower in the rear next to quite a neat kitchen. The rear seating is L shaped but can be moved to give several forward facing seats.Don't know about belts though. Love the layout of this van, too small for SWMBO though.

Upvote 0

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Buy Jim's book and read it cover to cover..I consider myself prudent but after reading this book I can see how I could still improve on my purchase. (although i didn't do to bad) My Dad had a massive damp problem in a previous van he bought and lost money on it.....hindsight is a wonderful thing but this book will certainly help to guide you into making the right decisions and avoid the easy mistakes we all make.

no I am not on commission either lol.

Steve

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Eighteen months ago I was in your position, but I knew the model that I wanted due to seeing one in a hospital car park, I went up and down the country, saw a very rough one in Swansea,, then I found one on a CC web site ,bought privately, I bought a Topaz, it is on VW base vehicle, with Auto-sleeper conversion, very well made, an older one of that style would be the Trophy, they have 3 belted seats, a lovely shower/toilet/wash basin and a wardrobe with top cupboard all across the back, with two sliding doors separating it from the lounge area, then on one side is a sink and draining board with Fridge, opposite is a cooker and a grill and the Trophy has an oven, plus a locker over the cab ,which took all my bedding plus some more, or some do have a bed in the Luton. there is a settee opposite the sliding door next to the door a single seat with a three point seat belt, they make up to either two single beds or a double. Might be worth you looking at if it fits your criteria.

Good luck with your search whatever you decide to go for.

Margaret

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, that is what we are looking for, we will look in to it.

Thanks for your help.

Melanie

Do be careful buying off eBay there are a lot of MH scams though I am sure that is not one of them. The scams usually show up as too low a price. However, the vehicle is in South Devon so a long way to go and a long way to go back for any faults to be rectified, assuming there is a warranty, as it is being sold I think by a dealer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Melanie

Free Member
Mar 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Savannah Gold
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have just ordered it.

Thanks

Buy Jim's book and read it cover to cover..I consider myself prudent but after reading this book I can see how I could still improve on my purchase. (although i didn't do to bad) My Dad had a massive damp problem in a previous van he bought and lost money on it.....hindsight is a wonderful thing but this book will certainly help to guide you into making the right decisions and avoid the easy mistakes we all make.

no I am not on commission either lol.

Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Melanie

Free Member
Mar 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Savannah Gold
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the advice, we have noticed a few vans that seemed too good to be true, especially on gumtree and preloved. Its just a shame all the vans we seem to like are so far away.

Melanie

Do be careful buying off eBay there are a lot of MH scams though I am sure that is not one of them. The scams usually show up as too low a price. However, the vehicle is in South Devon so a long way to go and a long way to go back for any faults to be rectified, assuming there is a warranty, as it is being sold I think by a dealer.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back